G&L tribute “crafted in India”

Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:14 pm

I was just looking at a tribute that says on the neck “crafted in India”. I didn’t know they make tributes in India too. When I googled it I found nothing about it.

Is there any info on them? I’m guessing they’re just as good as the Indonesian models?

Also I haven’t this serial number format before
H22040402

Re: G&L tribute “crafted in India”

Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Jorg wrote:I was just looking at a tribute that says on the neck “crafted in India”. I didn’t know they make tributes in India too. When I googled it I found nothing about it.

Is there any info on them? I’m guessing they’re just as good as the Indonesian models?

Also I haven’t this serial number format before
H22040402

Got any photos (or link to photos) of this "G&L Tribute" instrument? I am not aware of any Tributes being manufactured in India for G&L.
If you can post a link with photos I will inquire with one of my contacts at G&L to see if this is legit or not. There are only two countries making
legitimate Import instruments for G&L, Indonesia makes the G&L Tribute Series models and China make the G&L Placentia Series. Where did you see
this instrument? :searching:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:14 pm

Here is the link which includes pictures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285568645978 ... media=COPY

Yes, I find it strange too. There is no info anywhere I can find on G&L’s made in India

Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:09 pm

Jorg wrote:Here is the link which includes pictures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285568645978 ... media=COPY

Yes, I find it strange too. There is no info anywhere I can find on G&L’s made in India

I sent this info to Dave McLaren (CEO) and here is his reply:

A factory in India made some samples a few years ago: I think we have like 4 or 5 in our office.
I don’t think any were actually produced for sale anywhere. My guess is that the factory’s internal samples got liquidated and
somehow this wound up on the UK.

So there you go ... a new piece of G&L history has just been revealed. :shh:

Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:17 pm

Oh wow. Thanks for finding out!!

So this actually is a legit G&L tribute.

I noticed that the body is a different shape too. On the back there’s a contour which isn’t there on the regular ASAT tributes.

I was thinking about buying this one but now I’m not so sure

Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:38 pm

Jorg wrote:Oh wow. Thanks for finding out!!

I noticed that the body is a different shape too. On the back there’s a contour which isn’t there on the regular ASAT tributes.

Well it is a prototype/sample but never intended to be sold.
Beside the rear contour which is a standard option on the US ASAT Classic, it also has the neck pickup in the same location as the US model.
The Tributes made in Korea and Indonesia have the pickup closer to the neck (which is the location used on the Fender Telecaster).

The pickups look like G&L factory supplied MFD pickups which are exactly the same as used in the US ASAT Classic model.

The serial number (H22040402) might indicate the Country code "H" and build YY/MM, which is April 2022 and a sequence number of 0402.

Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:47 am

I guess the only risk is if the craftsmen’s ship on these is any good and unfortunately can’t ask anyone else as they don’t really exist :)
Maybe G&L didn’t use the India factory because it didn’t make financial sense but could have also been because they weren’t built well enough?
Shame I can’t try it in the store and have a look at it. It’s too far away.

Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Craig wrote:
Jorg wrote:Oh wow. Thanks for finding out!!

Well it is a prototype/sample but never intended to be sold.
Beside the rear contour which is a standard option on the US ASAT Classic, it also has the neck pickup in the same location as the US model.
The Tributes made in Korea and Indonesia have the pickup closer to the neck (which is the location used on the Fender Telecaster).

The pickups look like G&L factory supplied MFD pickups which are exactly the same as used in the US ASAT Classic model.

The serial number (H22040402) might indicate the Country code "H" and build YY/MM, which is April 2022 and a sequence number of 0402.

Do you think there is any chance to find out what the guys at G&L thought about the quality of the Indian made tributes samples they received? I’m still tempted to buy it but just not 100% sure in case they’re way worse than the Indonesian models