What's in a Name?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm

I am a little confused by the G&L web site.

I assume that "Legacy" is a body style (like a Strat) and that if I just see "Legacy" on the headstock, that is a Fullerton factory guitar, I thought that was correct... Anytime I see "Tribute", those are made overseas. BUT...I see that under the Tribute guitars page, that headstock *also* simply says "Legacy"...Im confused.

I'm just curious because I see some "Legacy" guitars for sale online that are not showing the back of the headstock. Some do not have the "Fullerton, CA" stamp under the serial number (like my Bluesboy)

Can you guys educate me on this? I want to be absolutely sure that my next guitar is a Legacy made with love in Fullerton like my ASAT Classic Bluesboy, which I love!

Many thanks again!

Greg

Re: What's in a Name?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi Greg,

Focus on the G&L logo: For the Tribute Series it should say exactly that: "Tribute Series" underneath. Depending on the era, the US version says something like "Guitars by Leo" under the logo and/or "Made in USA" or "USA" under the model decal.

You should always ask for a picture of the back of the headstock. If you see a "circular" serial number, it is a Tribute, as well as when there is nothing because that usually means the S/N has been removed. A US made Legacy have the S/N on the neck late (pre-1997), a waterslide close to the round part at the end of the headstock, brushed aluminum plate, or etched into the headstock.

Hope this helps,

- Jos.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Look at the serial number formats, since the USA serial is quite different from the Tribute Series serial numbers.
See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Perfect Thank you gents!