G&L Broadcaster with output jack plate??

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Hope you guys can help me out on this one!

I'm looking at purchasing a Broadcaster from a guy in town. He claims it's all original and he's the original owner. He purchased it from a friend who owned an Ohio music store in 1986. I played it today and it certainly was sweet! The serial isn't registered, but everything looks legit, including the hang tag, etc. The only thing that's curious is the output jack. It was plate jack. I found another thread stating that "The side mount output jack has been used without a mounting plate on all USA ASAT models."
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4541

I didn't take a picture, but it looked like this one. Any info on Broadcasters ever having this style plate? Thanks!

Re: G&L Broadcaster with output jack plate??

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 pm

The guitar pictured is an ASAT Classic, a Broadcaster will have two large soapbar MFD's (big black rectangles).
All Broadcasters are black, unless it's a Leo original from the 50's :D

what's the seller asking? can you get some pics of it?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Elwood wrote:The guitar pictured is an ASAT Classic, a Broadcaster will have two large soapbar MFD's (big black rectangles).

he knows that picture is a Classic but the output jack looks the same as the Broadcaster he played today .... he's asking if the rectangal plate out put jack is correct for a Broadcaster

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:00 pm

I have probably played over 75 Broadcasters (I own 14 of them) and I have never seen one with a plate. The original jack is kind of hard to work with so somebody may have simply replaced a faulty jack with available parts. If you are looking for a great player and it's way under collectible BC pricing (say under $1500), it may be a good deal. If your looking for a BC for collectability or your want it to be original, I would look elsewhere.

Mark

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm with Mark above. When the jack goes bad, sometimes people deem it easier to replace it with a plate jack (square or football) instead of going through the trouble of using another barrel jack. The barrel jack is countersunk, i.e. the rim of the jack is recessed below the surface of the guitar like in this pic:

There seems to be at least one BC in the Registry with a replacement jack (BC00537) although I do not know of what type.

- Jos

P.S. Does it look like this BC currently on eBay? That one seems to have a replacement square jack plate too.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:
he knows that picture is a Classic but the output jack looks the same as the Broadcaster he played today .... he's asking if the rectangal plate out put jack is correct for a Broadcaster

Thanks, I think a big dinner got the best of me, that makes sense (laughing at myself :lol: )

elwood

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:23 am

I know this is off-topic, but what band is that playing the early SC-2 in verybestal's avatar? Lydia Loveless has played one just like it, but I don't think that's her.

Ken

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:10 am

Elwood wrote:The guitar pictured is an ASAT Classic, a Broadcaster will have two large soapbar MFD's (big black rectangles).

au contraire!

While it's true no Broadcasters were built with plate jacks and with all G&Ls, there's always an exception.
The exception I'm referring to here is the one Broadcaster that left the factory intentionally painted PURPLE.
This brings the total number of different style G&L Broadcasters to 7.

HLG

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:11 am

KenC wrote:I know this is off-topic, but what band is that playing the early SC-2 in verybestal's avatar? Lydia Loveless has played one just like it, but I don't think that's her.

Ken

thats Taylor Swift's band , if I remember right I think they had three red SC-2's on stage

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 am

HLG wrote:

au contraire!

While it's true no Broadcasters were built with plate jacks and with all G&Ls, there's always an exception.
The exception I'm referring to here is the one Broadcaster that left the factory intentionally painted PURPLE.

HLG

I soooo want that one :clap:
I'm happy to be wrong once in a while :)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:
KenC wrote:I know this is off-topic, but what band is that playing the early SC-2 in verybestal's avatar? Lydia Loveless has played one just like it, but I don't think that's her.

Ken

thats Taylor Swift's band , if I remember right I think they had three red SC-2's on stage

And we're one (or is it three?) steps closer to early G&Ls becoming unobtainium...

Ken

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Doesn't Taylor Swift and her band change guitars like a wardrobe?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Elwood wrote:
HLG wrote:

au contraire!

HLG

I soooo want that one :clap:
I'm happy to be wrong once in a while :)

It's BC00670 and whoever has it please contact me.

HLG

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:51 pm

HLG,
Another slight correction is in order. Although I don't know whether or not both were built or if Dale just wanted us to paint two in case there was a problem, I painted two Purple Broadcasters that were supposed to go to Prince. The story I was told was that the guy who ordered them procured instruments for Prince and he was going to get them ( it ) to him.
There was also a Blue Broadcaster that I painted for Carl Perkins.
Unless there were other exceptions done in '86, these are the only non black Broadcasters that were legitimately produced.
Fred

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:13 pm

HLG wrote:

au contraire!

HLG

Larry,

Can you please describe each of these different styles of G&L Broadcasters? I'd like to add that information to the Rarebird page for the Broadcaster.

Thanks.

:ugeek:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:HLG,
Another slight correction is in order. Although I don't know whether or not both were built or if Dale just wanted us to paint two in case there was a problem, I painted two Purple Broadcasters that were supposed to go to Prince. The story I was told was that the guy who ordered them procured instruments for Prince and he was going to get them ( it ) to him.
There was also a Blue Broadcaster that I painted for Carl Perkins.
Unless there were other exceptions done in '86, these are the only non black Broadcasters that were legitimately produced.
Fred

I will add this detail to our Rarebird page for the G&L Broadcaster.

Thanks!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi all,
Thanks so much for the info! The guitar I saw in person is indeed the one currently listed on ebay. I live close enough that I wanted to test it in person. The original owner claims that he's done nothing to the guitar besides cut a replacement pickguard. The guitar sounded so great, I wouldn't necessarily care what happened to the electronics/ jack. But for collectability reasons, I think I will look elsewhere.

By the way, the band in the pic is Taylor Swift's band. My neighbor plays fiddle and occasional guitar for Taylor. When the SC-2 arrived September, 2012, I knew instantly that it should go on tour with Taylor (one of those feelings you're so strangely sure about). Several months later, her fiddle player asked me if I had a guitar she could use as a backup and serendipitously so, my SC-2 went on the entire RED tour, traveling the world several times. Unfortunately, the finish got some black marks during tour. Joe Glaser, in town, thinks it was due to the heat of the pyro show. It's not too bad, but it's non-reversible.

I was really stoked to see a vintage G&L go on a big tour. Most will probably see it and assume it's a new SC-2, but it's not. It's an '83. I'm going to give it to my daughter someday (after she's born, obviously).

Go G&L!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Craig wrote:
HLG wrote:

au contraire!

Last edited by HLG on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Craig wrote:
HLG wrote:

au contraire!

HLG

Larry,

Can you please describe each of these different styles of G&L Broadcasters? I'd like to add that information to the Rarebird page for the Broadcaster.

Thanks.

No problem Craig
I'll pm you
Regards Larry

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 pm

verybestal wrote:Hi all,
Thanks so much for the info! The guitar I saw in person is indeed the one currently listed on ebay. I live close enough that I wanted to test it in person. The original owner claims that he's done nothing to the guitar besides cut a replacement pickguard. The guitar sounded so great, I wouldn't necessarily care what happened to the electronics/ jack. But for collectability reasons, I think I will look elsewhere.

By the way, the band in the pic is Taylor Swift's band. My neighbor plays fiddle and occasional guitar for Taylor. When the SC-2 arrived September, 2012, I knew instantly that it should go on tour with Taylor (one of those feelings you're so strangely sure about). Several months later, her fiddle player asked me if I had a guitar she could use as a backup and serendipitously so, my SC-2 went on the entire RED tour, traveling the world several times. Unfortunately, the finish got some black marks during tour. Joe Glaser, in town, thinks it was due to the heat of the pyro show. It's not too bad, but it's non-reversible.

I was really stoked to see a vintage G&L go on a big tour. Most will probably see it and assume it's a new SC-2, but it's not. It's an '83. I'm going to give it to my daughter someday (after she's born, obviously).

Go G&L!

what a cool story !! ..... around the world twice !! , what a good way to get some marks on it , or it least better than someone knock it over on the stand or something stupid like that .... I thought they had a couple new SC 2's on set too ??

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Fumble Fingers, I didn't know they had additional SC-2s on tour! That would be very cool. If you see any pics, let me know.
-Brandon

Sat May 30, 2015 11:45 am

verybestal wrote:I'm going to give it to my daughter someday (after she's born, obviously).

Seems, the plans have changed. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Swift-Re ... 1646437268

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Caitlin Evanson put scorch-marks on your SC-2? ... nice!
:luv:
She's much prettier than Dave Swarbrick....