Unused Broadcaster neck plates

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm posting this in here instead of the PSA subforum so it won't be auto-trimmed .

There is a possible deal on three BC plates due to the seller thinking they are just three-bolt bass plates.
Here is the link

Acme music also has three BC plates for sale.
Acme on ebay

I haven't checked the registry to see if the unused Broadcaster neckplates were documented , I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the info available for a search here also.

Acme is selling :
BC00130, BC00135, and BC00142

alexandergrahamsell is selling :
BC00139, BC00151, and BC00152

Any guitars that these end up on (ASAT or other ) will hopefully come with transparent disclosure .

This makes the Real Ones a smidge rarer than one would think just looking at production numbers .

Elwood

Re: Unused Broadcaster neck plates

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Hey Elwood,

I added BC00135 and BC00142 as 'Neck or neckplate only' to the Registry. All other were registered as such already. There are 12 Bfroadcaster neck plates listed so far. Hope people look over here to check on the S/N but I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

- Jos

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 pm

:happy0065:
Youdaman Jos !

:)

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Elwood,

I added BC00135 and BC00142 as 'Neck or neckplate only' to the Registry. All other were registered as such already. There are 12 Bfroadcaster neck plates listed so far. Hope people look over here to check on the S/N but I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

- Jos

Hi Jos
There are at least 232 unused Broadcaster plates floating around out there. S/N BC00001 through S/N BC01100 are legitimate. 870 ended up on Broadcasters. 230 were not used and at least 2 that I am aware of are flukes that were caught at the factory.Image
BC01886 and BC01297 were not supposed to happen. Mistake at the supplier (not G&L) there maybe more but as of this date these are the only two I am aware of.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:27 am

HLG wrote:BC01886 and BC01297 were not supposed to happen. Mistake at the supplier (not G&L) there maybe more but as of this date these are the only two I am aware of.

Hey Larry,

Any particular reason why these numbers? Because they just seem to be rather arbitrary.

- Jos
P.S. You should add the ones you know of in the Registry ;-)

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 am

I never understood why people confuse these plates with bass plates other than the fact that they begin with a 'B'.

Bass plates are at least 30% longer than guitar plates. They are not interchangeable.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:51 pm

I almost started a thread about an ad I saw on eBay last night. Seeing this one about Broadcaster plates again, I will go ahead and mention it here.

The eBay listing is for "G&L Broadcaster guitar neck decal X2 NOS original G&L OEM will work on ASAT". Yes, "will work on ASAT". The description reads in part:

"I've used these by putting them in hot water and then applying to the headstock carefully. It's not necessary to put clear over them, this is an optional step. Paint your ASAT black and you now have a Broadcaster Lol ."

"Lol" :thumbdown: . Caveat emptor.

Ken

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm

KenC wrote:I almost started a thread about an ad I saw on eBay last night. Seeing this one about Broadcaster plates again, I will go ahead and mention it here.

The eBay listing is for "G&L Broadcaster guitar neck decal X2 NOS original G&L OEM will work on ASAT". Yes, "will work on ASAT". The description reads in part:

"I've used these by putting them in hot water and then applying to the headstock carefully. It's not necessary to put clear over them, this is an optional step. Paint your ASAT black and you now have a Broadcaster Lol ."

"Lol" :thumbdown: . Caveat emptor.

Ken

I saw this ad as well Ken. People will always copy anything desirable. It's the unscrupulous that try and do it for a profit and not disclose that it's a copy. If you own an original, it pays to know the provenance of it for future collectors.

Greg.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Here's another "caveat emptor" eBay Auction

1982 SC-2? Just because the headstock says so? While it is a 4-bolt? In a modern Fender tweed case?

OK. Sure … At least they are honest where the body came from. And since it is used apparently it makes it Vintage. Or is that just pertaining to the neck? Man you have to read carefully ...

- Jos

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:57 am

Case24 wrote:
I saw this ad as well Ken. People will always copy anything desirable. It's the unscrupulous that try and do it for a profit and not disclose that it's a copy. If you own an original, it pays to know the provenance of it for future collectors.

Greg.

I understand the desire to copy, just like folks who "rebrand" their Squires with a Fender decal. The thing that really got me about this guy's post was the "I've already done it a couple of times...LOL". It's up to him if he's building a personal stash of modded ASATs, but what's the chance of somebody seeking out several collectible guitars just to "rebrand" them for his personal collection?

Ken

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm

KenC wrote:
Case24 wrote:

Greg.

I understand the desire to copy, just like folks who "rebrand" their Squires with a Fender decal. The thing that really got me about this guy's post was the "I've already done it a couple of times...LOL". It's up to him if he's building a personal stash of modded ASATs, but what's the chance of somebody seeking out several collectible guitars just to "rebrand" them for his personal collection?

Ken

I couldn't agree more Ken. Not likely that someone is building a large collection of Broadcaster clones for themselves. I enjoy building clones of Fender tweed amps but it's pretty obvious that they're clones. A little tougher to tell a Broadcaster clone to the average person.

Greg.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey Tim,

Have you entered any of them into the Registry? If you scroll through the model choices, there is a "bridge/plate only" option.

Ken

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:I've sorta kept track of unused plates as I've come across them as well. I purchases numerous Broadcaster plates at one time just to get them off the market so no one would be tricked into thinking a guitar was a "real Broadcaster". Of the ones I bought, 10 of them were issued with the first 10 G&L 20th Anniversary models #1-#10 that we had at the shop along with a certificate. I've still other Broadcaster plates sitting in my G&L box. Here's all the serial numbers I've seen.

BC00130 Raw Plate on Ebay
BC00135 Raw Plate on Ebay
BC00139 Raw Plate on Ebay
BC00142 Raw Plate on Ebay
BC00151 Raw Plate on Ebay
BC00152 Raw Plate on Ebay
BC00859 20th Anniv 1
BC00874 20th Anniv 2
BC00944 20th Anniv 3
BC00999 20th Anniv 4
BC01013 20th Anniv 5
BC01016 20th Anniv 6
BC01033 20th Anniv 7
BC01035 20th Anniv 8
BC01043 20th Anniv 9
BC01044 20th Anniv 10
BC01046 Bought by Tim
BC01048 Bought by Tim
BC01049 Bought by Tim
BC01056 Bought by Tim
BC01057 Bought by Tim
BC01068 Bought by Tim
BC01082 Bought by Tim
BC01085 Bought by Tim
BC01099 Bought by Tim

Regards,

Tim

Hello ,Tim long time no talk to. Glad to see your still on top of the Bcaster plates. Youll be the first to get the entire list.
Regards
HLG