Reverb has killer collection of 80's G&L guitars right now

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:20 am

Seriously I have not seen a better source of vintage G&l's since Mr. Traweek sold off his stuff. Prices are low right now and the selection is outstanding. Some of these guitars have been on the market for some time and I am sure offers are being looked at.

The g-200, skyhawk, sc-2 and the yellow invader all look like they need a new home.

it is always good to see a bunch of old G&l's but I would rather see the prices going up instead of down. This just might be the time to pick up some real a Leo and George goodness.

Anyone eyeing some of the stuff on Reverb?

Y2kc

Re: Reverb has killer collection of 80's G&L guitars right n

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Yeah, that G-200 looks gorgeous! I recently purchased a G&L on Reverb, so I am not in the market for another (at the moment....), but I agree: there are a lot of good deals out there!

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Yes, I check there almost daily. Thrilled to see the G-200 and an SC-1 this week also, and a nice ASAT III. Not only that, but Guitar Center finally posted a picture of a "2002 Skyhawk" [sic] that turns out to be a sickle headstock, maple board, wonderfully yellowed guitar with a Leo fine-tuner vibrato. Their price of 950 is too high as usual, methinks, but there it is.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/GL/Sky ... -Guitar.gc

They also have what looks like a early to mid-90s ASAT III with saddle lock, pearloid pickguard, and white binding, not too high priced.

There's one more but I'm weighing that one for myself... :whome:

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:10 pm

Must resist!!!! :shh:

Some nice stuff out there.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:47 pm

I can vouch for that G-200. I sold it to the now-seller a few months ago. It came from HLG's collection, is a 1-piece mahogany body and one of the finest guitars I've played/owned.

The market is prime for buying G&Ls now.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:50 am

Lots of overpriced used G&Ls is all I'm seeing. Same for other brands.

Then again I usually only search for lefty guitars :BadIdea:

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 am

Just picked up Sprinter 92's 1986 Black ASAT w/Kahler he had posted on Reverb.

FleaBay seems to be the new storefront for Music Store Live, it has become fairly hard to find the good stuff. Although used by fewer people, Reverb is easier to navigate. And indeed some wonderful stuff for reasonable fair prices. SouthpawGuy makes a fair point, prices for the interesting pieces seem to be commensurate with what the Bluebook for Guitar Values and/or Vintage Guitar Price Guide are listing. Prices on fleaBay are way more out of whack IMO. What I do agree on is that if you especially like pre-BBE G&L instruments, this is a good buyer's market.

- Jos

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Nice snag Jos! I considered that one, glad it stayed in the GLDP family.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 am

What would be a fair price to offer for the g-200 on Reverb in your opinions. There is a $70 charge for shipping which is a bit high. ? thanks,
skyhawk

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Skyhawk wrote:What would be a fair price to offer for the g-200 on Reverb in your opinions. There is a $70 charge for shipping which is a bit high. ? thanks,
skyhawk

Fair is $2,500 for EXC+ to $1,550 for VG. Is that more than it is being offered for? Ya betcha! It was a total steal at the offered price.

And somebody (not me) must have figured that out, because it's gone!

- Jos

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:31 am

Skyhawk wrote: There is a $70 charge for shipping which is a bit high. ?

I didn't see the price of the G-200, but I'm guessing it was around $2,000. If you have to purchase a box to ship it that's $7.00 to $10.00 for a new box. Insurance adds a lot to the shipping cost. Another factor is weight and the physical size of the box. Most of the Leo era instruments tend to be 8 to 10 pounds. The G&G cases add some more weight because they're well built! After you factor all of those costs together $70.00 is close to the actual shipping cost. I just shipped an '86 Asat and insured it for $850.00. Shipping it via the U.S. Postal Service was $58.00.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:01 am

The asking price seemed pretty fair for that guitar. I hope the new owner enjoys it and chimes in here to let us know what they think.

The G-200 is a very unique G&L for many reasons. It was a George Fullerton project from what I understand. That guy was a quite the artist.

y2kc

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:26 pm

I am the new owner of the G-200 on Reverb. I just paid for it within the hour and wanted to wait until paid for to announce it.
I really didn't think I would ever have a chance to buy one of these but I got lucky I guess. I offered my limit because I have another that I have promised to buy and I had to consider the cost of that also. I am stretched but I'll work a lot of overtime to cover it........I hope. I'm also getting a exc. plus condition 84 Superhawk in about a week. But 1 guitar at a time. It will be awhile before the G-200 arrives .........next week sometime. Thanks y2kc..........i guess lol. I never heard of Reverb before. Well overtime, here we come.
Skyhawk

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:20 am

Skyhawk,

Thank George Fullerton, not me.

I imagine you will enjoy that g-200. The short scale is unique in the G&L line and that is just where the sweetness starts. These guitars were built with choice mahogany, ebony and maple and have pickups that alone are worth the price paid.

Get the guitar set up/cleaned by a pro if you don't do that stuff and then turn up your amp so loud that I can hear it all the way to the frozen tundra of northern Illinois. Let us know what you think when you get it.

enjoy,

y2kc

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:31 am

Will do, I'll report on when I get it. Should sometime next week.
Skyhawk

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:04 am

Congrats on the new/old acquisitions gents! Some great instruments!

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:00 am

Great score Skyhawk! Congrats and welcome to the G-200 club!

- Jos

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Skyhawk wrote:I am the new owner of the G-200 on Reverb. I just paid for it within the hour and wanted to wait until paid for to announce it.
I really didn't think I would ever have a chance to buy one of these but I got lucky I guess. I offered my limit because I have another that I have promised to buy and I had to consider the cost of that also. I am stretched but I'll work a lot of overtime to cover it........I hope. I'm also getting a exc. plus condition 84 Superhawk in about a week. But 1 guitar at a time. It will be awhile before the G-200 arrives .........next week sometime. Thanks y2kc..........i guess lol. I never heard of Reverb before. Well overtime, here we come.
Skyhawk

Aha!! And I am the one that sold it to you!! LOL. I am glad it is staying in the GBL family. I really did love the G200...but what I stated in the listing was the honest truth. I spent my time playing with all the tonal possibilities...and marveling at them. My OCD took control, and I never really played the G200...I mostly 'played with the G200'. And I really can't afford to collect...I wanted to move it to somebody who would dial it in and play the heck out of it. I learned something about myself...I need simplicity to stay focused. So I am keeping my Nighthawk and Broadcaster...playing them thru my Victoria Ivy League and Victoria 5112 amps..nothing much simpler than that. And I am a happy guy, who is more focused now on getting better. As to the question about $70.00 shipping...the G200 is on its way from Oregon to the Northeast... the $70.00 did not cover the entire cost of materials and shipping. For shorter trips, I have always refunded any difference between quoted and actual shipping. The $70.00 was a 'guesstimate'.. :D

'Skyhawk'...don't forget (and I doubt that you will) to re-register the G200 to you.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:35 am

Retired,

Those Victoria amps are nice and built locally to me. I would sure dig one of those.

Play those cool G&L's sir and turn that amp up nice and loud, I want to hear it from here!

y2kc

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:49 am

I have a Victoria 518 so I will do that when G-200 arrives. You let me know if you hear it. lol
LS

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Congrats on the G-200. As much as I love mine, I think yours has a nicer grain pattern in the body. I was seriously thinking about buying yours and then putting mine on the market to fund it. I'm glad you prevented me from doing that!

Ken

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks Ken. I honestly never thought I would end up with one and never really pursued it that much because I hardly saw them for sale. I collect them but I also play them, I'm mostly into the strat style rather than the tele style , thank god.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:53 am

I have to say I am surprised they didn't put a mahogany neck on the G-200.
Skyhawk

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Man, I would love the yellow Invader on reverb. But I am moving states and jobs in a month. Nooooooooo :(

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:59 am

Hey,

What no love for the Interceptors? What gives?

y2kc

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:47 am

y2kc wrote:Hey,

What no love for the Interceptors? What gives?

y2kc

Show me a lefty one and I might be :whome:

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:38 am

Somebody please buy the s-500 and the asat III so I don't. Hey I won't buy them cause Im broke but I still hear them calling my name. That is part of the addiction.

I called on both guitars and the S-500 is a tad over 9lbs. Why is every blue G&L heavy? It must be the paint. That S-500 is a beauty!

one day at a time,

y2kc

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:12 am

Any of you who own a G-200 tell me what you think after I try to explain what I am hearing with mine.
I have only played the guitar twice now for starters. I own 21 electrics mostly G&Ls, Fenders, and Mcinturffs and 1 Peavey T-60.
This is rather long but I want to make sure you understand what I'm trying to say. When I received the Cavalier I plugged it in and it ranks at the top for tone of what I own. I also own a 65 Fender mustang which is short scale like the G-200 which sounds great. Anyway, last night I plugged the G-200 in and this thing gets a tone like no other guitar I have ever played including all of the guitars I own now and all of the electrics I have ever owned, which is a guess of around 100. I plugged it in my Kendrick tweed champ on a vol. of 3.5.............this guitar has a great tone but at least on the 5th and 6th string notes I get this compressed harmonically tone sound which I have never got with any other guitar before. It absolutely sounds unbelievable for blues tones. Its like I have found the holy grail of guitar. It could be a no name guitar for all I care, it doesn't matter it does what it does. I know you own a g-200 Ken and some of you others...........my question is .....if you know what I am talking about do you guys get this kind of thing going on with your g-200 as well ? For instance I was to sell my tweed champ amp and wanted to make this amp sound as good as possible I would be smart to play the g-200 though it over any other guitar because I believe that anyone could be fooled into believing its the amp that sounds great and not the guitar being played through it...............well I can say that is not the case.
Skyhawk

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:51 am

does the G200 sound good on all your amps ?? ....... for me , I have certain guitars that sound great with certain amps , I guess if I was selling a amp I would pair it with a guitar that makes that amp sound great to get the sale ..... don't have a G200 so I really don't know what your talking about , but I do have a Cavalier and understand exactly what your talking about ..

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:09 am

Hey Skyhawk,

I can imagine your surprise: the G-200 is a guitar like no other. It has different electronics than any other G&L and I'm not just talking lay-out but components too. The 2 I have sound great too. There are 2 big distinctions of course when comparing the G-200 to the more common mahogany bolt-on guitars. First, it is still a bolt-on neck. And yes, it has 2 buckers, but they are still MFD's with their particular hi-fidelity response and adjustable pole-piece. I'm wondering whether that is the magic you uncovered here.

:sign0011: :sign0011:

- Jos

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:51 pm

I don't know what I have uncovered but I will work on it and report at some point................but yes, what you have said.
skyhawk.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm not in this loop, but I'm changing my undies accordingly. Ha! - ed

(Lucky Bastids!!!)

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:17 pm

I adjusted the g-200 for some fret buzz............I thought that maybe it was fret buzz giving me the sound that I thought was so different some how, but it was not. What me and my son came up with is the guitar plays clean strummed easy and if you hit the strings a little harder it overdrives. I have never had or have a guitar that does that. Great blues guitar.
skyhawk

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:41 am

You gotta like that. Face it ,the G200 is a very unique Fullerton creation. Thank you George!

Enjoy that guitar,

y2kc

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Its like playing though a clean amp and getting a tweed nicely overdriven sound. I am quite impressed. I know Leo didn't like the guitar but I have to say thanks to George for this one.
skyhawk