Why hasn't G&L made a "standard humbucker" sized MFD pickup?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 pm

I wonder if Leo ever contemplated making a "standard humbucker" sized MFD? (either single coil or humbucker). I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on it. Anybody have any info such an effort?

Also, now that G&L makes guitars with standard humbuckers, I would think they would benefit from having MFD options for these... Wouldn't it be sweet to be able to buy a large single coil MFD pickup (a la SC-2) in a standard humbucker size?
Last edited by cho on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Why hasn't G&L made a "humbucker" sized MFD pickup?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:08 pm

cho wrote:I wonder if Leo ever contemplated making a "standard humbucker" sized MFD? (either single coil or humbucker). I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on it. Anybody have any info such an effort?

Also, now that G&L makes guitars with standard humbuckers, I would think they would benefit from having MFD options for these... Wouldn't it be sweet to be able to buy a large single coil MFD pickup (a la SC-2) in a standard humbucker size?

Leo did three MFD humbuckers and they were put into guitar production, see this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.
He also did two MFD humbuckers for basses, see: List of pickups used in G&L basses.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: Why hasn't G&L made a "standard humbucker" sized MFD pic

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Craig,

I edited the title to try to be more clear: I am talking about a "standard humbucker" - sized MFD pickup. In other words, one that would fit into any Les Paul, (or, better yet, into an ASAT Deluxe or the bridge of a Fallout). It could be either a single coil (like a large MFD) or a humbucker (like a F-100 pickup).

I'm wondering if Leo ever tried to make one, and I'm also wondering why G&L doesn't/couldn't/shouldn't make one now...

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 pm

cho wrote:Craig,

I edited the title to try to be more clear: I am talking about a "standard humbucker" - sized MFD pickup. In other words, one that would fit into any Les Paul, (or, better yet, into an ASAT Deluxe or the bridge of a Fallout). It could be either a single coil (like a large MFD) or a humbucker (like a F-100 pickup).

I'm wondering if Leo ever tried to make one, and I'm also wondering why G&L doesn't/couldn't/shouldn't make one now...

Perhaps these three posts from Gabe Dellvigne (GPD) will give you some insight to why the MFD Humbuckers Leo built and used in the F-100 and G-200 were built the way they were:
F-100 vs 25th Anniversary PUP's, GPD comments on the G-200 vs LP and March 28, 2013, A Very Sad Day in History.

Here is a photo of Leo's pickup testing fixtures in his lab:

Perhaps others will have additional information about the evolution and design of the MFD humbuckers.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks Craig. Cool picture! I do see one standard humbucker sized pickup in that picture. I wonder if it is an MFD.

I am sure that if Leo wanted to constrain himself to that design form, he could have made a good MFD pickup. But I also suspect (and that picture suggests) that he did not constrain himself to the standard design form, and decided that he could make a better pickup without it.

But he did change from the 1982 S-500 pickup to a standard sized single coil. He just didn't do the same for the MFD humbucker or the large MFD single coil.

So I still wonder: Wouldn't a large MFD single coil pickup that fits in a standard humbucker ring be possible (and sound great)?

Edit: Interesting links, Craig. It sounds like Dale Hyatt pressured Leo to make a PAF sized MFD pickup, but it never happened. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during those discussions...

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm guessing the 'bucker in that pic is a Schaller.

This 'Z-bucker' was on ebay a while back, that'd be another cool option :idea:

Here's a link with a few more pics

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am

Elwood wrote:This 'Z-bucker' was on ebay a while back, that'd be another cool option

I agree! In fact, with a relatively low cost insert the injection mold tool could make both right hand and left hand versions! My understanding why there are on left z coils is the cost of tool vs the number of parts they would make... Taking too long for the tool to pay back.

I'm guessing that there was not a huge demand the the MFD humbucker so they never saw an advantage making them the same size as other PAF buckers. While I'd like to see it, I suspect BBE is not interested in competing in the pickup aftermarket.

Dan

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:55 am

Elwood wrote:This 'Z-bucker' was on ebay a while back, that'd be another cool option :idea:

Very cool! Were you able to hear how it sounded?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 am

cho wrote:
Elwood wrote:This 'Z-bucker' was on ebay a while back, that'd be another cool option :idea:

Very cool! Were you able to hear how it sounded?

No, I didn't. I'd like to. I guess I should have bid higher :BadIdea:

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:04 am

cho wrote:So I still wonder: Wouldn't a large MFD single coil pickup that fits in a standard humbucker ring be possible (and sound great)?

Good question. You can get a P90 to fit a humbucker sized route, so why not a large single coil MFD? I think there is enough physical space to make something very much like a MFD, but you'd have to find someone to custom build it for you.

You can also get just about any flavor pickup you want in the Jazzmaster form factor. I've been searching for a pre-1992 MFD-like pickup for a Jazzmaster for a while now and have tried to convince several builders to make me one. I guess I'm the only person to have ever asked. My first experiment arrives in a few weeks.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 am

Submersible wrote:You can also get just about any flavor pickup you want in the Jazzmaster form factor. I've been searching for a pre-1992 MFD-like pickup for a Jazzmaster for a while now and have tried to convince several builders to make me one. I guess I'm the only person to have ever asked. My first experiment arrives in a few weeks.

Very interesting. What did you specify, in order for it to be MFD-like? Please keep us posted how it works out.

EDIT: Oh, see you have another thread dedicated to this... No need to post here. I will follow your thread.