Body Shape: Model Differences

Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 pm

I got intrigued by a quote from Greg Gagliano's site about how post-1984 F100s used a "Cavalier/Skyhawk" body or something to that effect; so I did something unscientific and located a few same-angle pics to see if I could even tell the difference at a glance.

It helps to flip through these in a slide show. I *think* the F100 has a slightly more robust lower bout and sturdier horns than the others; believe that matches something Craig said a few months back about the Invader body being different than an F100 by an increment. Threw in an SC3 as well just for fun :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: Body Shape: Model Differences

Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Yes, the F-100 body width at the lower bout is 13 inches. The NIghthawk/Skyhawk/S-500/Cavalier/Leo-era Invader body width at the lower bout is 12 7/8 inches.
I am not sure about the F-100 horns being any different from those other ones.

Thanks for the post.

Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 pm

The F-100 you have pictured appears to be a pre-1984 with the chrome control plate. Post-1984 would have a black control plate. Not many F-100's were made post-1984.

Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 pm

My F100 (per Gabe at ESI) is a Jan. '83 with matte black panels & bridge (non-crinkle) on the original style body. The neck is also old style, no nub. The guitar pictured as an '84 on Greg's site is apparently an older style body with the newer "nub" neck. I'd be interested to see an F100 with the Cavalier body (and non-string through hardtail at that.)

Thanks to this post I now also see the "Strat" style SC3 body is totally different to the early double-cut style; never realized it.