How to disassemble a Broadcaster ?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Hello friends
I have a doubt.
I wonder if to disarm a Broadcaster and see the signature of Leo. It's just remove the three screws and nothing else?. Or is there something else to consider?

Thank you very much

Re: How to disassemble a Broadcaster ?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Mama Sam wrote:Hello friends
I have a doubt.
I wonder if to disarm a Broadcaster and see the signature of Leo. It's just remove the three screws and nothing else?. Or is there something else to consider?

Thank you very much

You definitely need to de-tune the strings so that they are slack; it might be a good time to
change strings, if so, remove all strings before removing the neck. Be careful not to move the
neck side by side in the neck pocket, as you could break or crack the wood around the neck
pocket because it is thin in that area.

Here's a picture of the neck pocket on a Broadcaster we have in the Gallery:

Yours should look similar.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Ok thank you very much.
But then, why is that little hole in the plate? Under the third screw.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:09 am

That hole is for adjusting the neck tilt. After loosening the lower neckplate screw, you insert a hex/allen wrench into it, making it possible to push the lower section of the heal out. It was a great feature that G&L had on their 3-bolt guitars. I believe that it helps get one closer to the perfect setup, with the least amount of labor (no neck shims necessary).

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:56 am

Assuming you have Broadcaster #BC00790, this may be what your hoping to see.
Notice the adjuster below the screw? There is no reason to adjust this until after reassembly and it may not be necessary then.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 am

Here's the a picture of the G&L Owner's Manual showing the adjustment procedures for the micro-tilt:

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:05 am

I don't even let my tech take the necks off my G&Ls unless it's absolutely necessary. The thought of an amateur attacking a rare G&L with a screwdriver one afternoon to "see what's under there" boggles my brain.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Ok thank you very much for all your response

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Submersible wrote:I don't even let my tech take the necks off my G&Ls unless it's absolutely necessary. The thought of an amateur attacking a rare G&L with a screwdriver one afternoon to "see what's under there" boggles my brain.

That is just being over protective, no need to make this sound as if it is some daunting and dangerous task to discourage someone who is curious. Anyone who works sensibly can do this task without damage, techs themselves are glorified and overrated, there are very few guitar problems someone cannot fix on their own. Guitars are not big, scary, or complicated, they are in fact quite simple.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:29 pm

I concur. A bolt on neck is not rocket science. A set neck is a little closer. The first time you take the neck off of an older G&L and you hear that big POP that occasionally happens... well it's nerve racking to say the least. As far as techs being overated, I'll have to disagree. Your average player usually doesn't do refrets or dressings or cut new nuts and the like. While not difficult, these are skills that come with practice, practice, and more practice and some techs have taken it to an art form. Obviously some techs are better than others, i'm sure they all sucked on the first attempt or two.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:51 pm

SJG wrote:I concur. A bolt on neck is not rocket science. A set neck is a little closer. The first time you take the neck off of an older G&L and you hear that big POP that occasionally happens... well it's nerve racking to say the least. As far as techs being overated, I'll have to disagree. Your average player usually doesn't do refrets or dressings or cut new nuts and the like. While not difficult, these are skills that come with practice, practice, and more practice and some techs have taken it to an art form. Obviously some techs are better than others, i'm sure they all sucked on the first attempt or two.

Fair enough, I have never needed to do a fret job yet, most of my guitars have hardened SS frets (indestructible). I assume I could do it however and plan to learn when the time comes. Most people I hear going to 'techs' want setups, where refrets /fixes go to 'luthiers'. Luthier is a hobby I plan to take up the second I have a house, The wood-working part is easy (on par with good cabinetry), the frets would take some practice though. Then again, if you are 'skilled' often the difference is more of a time thing, than a quality thing, as long as you don't rush it, because you can't take back a mistake but working slowly you can prevent it.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 am

I have known people who, after playing the guitar for over 5 years, still don't change their own strings, let alone considering the removal of a bolt-on neck. Perhaps it's just as well with some people?