O.K. by Leo in neck pocket?

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:11 pm

hey guys, tried to do a search and found nothing, so I figured it was good to post on. If you saw my recent "new member" post, you may have seen the body and neck I just picked up (for a steal, if I'm being honest.) I was looking at the neck pocket to try to decipher the penciled markings, and I realized that it looks almost as if it says "O.K. by-leo.

Is this something known to be marked in here? Am I completely off? Here;s a link to the picture of the neck pocket- https://imgur.com/g74biC7

If I'm correct, does this mean that Leo himself may have written this? I'm guessing that it's not likely, but hey, weird things happen, right? The dates put this guitar toward the end of the Leo era, but within it.

I would love to have any input or ideas on this, or if this is a common thing found in neck pockets, or even if I'm completely off base.

Re: O.K. by Leo in neck pocket?

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi Ifmacdo,

There was a guy by the name of Leo (Lee) Crabtree working at G&L during that time who was involved in assembling instruments. Although it is not impossible it is Mr Fender being referred to, it is more likely it refers to Mr Crabtree.

As far as messages in the pocket or on the heel are concerned, that is not uncommon. I have a few with 'see Dale' (Hyatt), 'see Steve' (Grom), and 'see Spencer' (Brown).

- Jos

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 pm

It's really cool that there is this level of knowledge on these guitars, and the little notes and such that can be found hidden away. I really wish I had more information on this particular guitar, and keep pressing the guy who sold it to me to see if he finds more parts hidden around.

I think I'm going to do a deep dive into this, if for nothing else than to exercise this desire to find out who actually wrote this. I'm sure that I'll be entirely sure of one thing before being completely disillusioned of that idea shortly thereafter, and possibly never knowing for sure, but I know that when I'm done doing it, I will be able to let it rest.

I have some other questions about this guitar, and you seem to be the one with most of the answers- do you happen to know what wood this fretboard is? https://imgur.com/ybTVNXD
I absolutely love the grain on it, and can't wait to get it put together and strung to see how it looks behind strings.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Ifmacdo wrote:It's really cool that there is this level of knowledge on these guitars, and the little notes and such that can be found hidden away. I really wish I had more information on this particular guitar, and keep pressing the guy who sold it to me to see if he finds more parts hidden around.

I think I'm going to do a deep dive into this, if for nothing else than to exercise this desire to find out who actually wrote this. I'm sure that I'll be entirely sure of one thing before being completely disillusioned of that idea shortly thereafter, and possibly never knowing for sure, but I know that when I'm done doing it, I will be able to let it rest.

I have some other questions about this guitar, and you seem to be the one with most of the answers- do you happen to know what wood this fretboard is? https://imgur.com/ybTVNXD
I absolutely love the grain on it, and can't wait to get it put together and strung to see how it looks behind strings.

The fretboard wood is Rosewood. Here is page 1 of the Suggested Retail Price List - July 1, 1990 located in our Gallery: Ad Slicks and Memorabilia: 1990 - 1991 Memorabilia:

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:37 am

What differentiates between the Deluxe and regular SC3? The description only lists the Maple fretboard option and the ability to order a sunburst. Those seem like standard options rather than an upgrade. Just curious...

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 pm

jdetente wrote:What differentiates between the Deluxe and regular SC3? The description only lists the Maple fretboard option and the ability to order a sunburst. Those seem like standard options rather than an upgrade. Just curious...

Add Maple fretboard option and Sunburst finish replaces Viking Blue finish for the SC-3 Deluxe.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Craig wrote:
jdetente wrote:What differentiates between the Deluxe and regular SC3? The description only lists the Maple fretboard option and the ability to order a sunburst. Those seem like standard options rather than an upgrade. Just curious...

Add Maple fretboard option and Sunburst finish replaces Viking Blue finish for the SC-3 Deluxe.

So it really was just that simple! In the days of CITES (and my preference for Rosewood), it seems odd that Maple would be an upcharge. Thanks for the info!