NGD "Intercepted" Guitar

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:27 pm

Howdy campers!

My lucky stars, look what was intercepted before anyone else got wise, a 2 Hummer Interceptor!

A true rock machine, these Schallers have some volume and can get as gritty as I want. After testing through a Boogie Lonestar Special and with a few pedals my "snotty rocker" was coming out, as well as my "classic rock" Judas Priest, Sabbath etc.

Weighing in at 8.5lbs, not Les Paul heavy and pretty balanced. Another red guitar in the fold and I'm not too partial to red guitars but the color blend works. Only have one other dual fulcrum trem guitar but this seems a bit smoother. Could be honeymoon effect.

Would like to find an Interceptor build log to see how many two humbuckers were made, supposedly not many. This one seems to have had a neck adjustment based on two date stamps but I can feel no issues. It also seems to have a #2 neck not the usual #4 that was put on the Interceptors. Build log clarify.

If you find one of these hiding on Craigslist or in a closet somewhere, get er' while ya can!!

Re: NGD "Intercepted" Guitar

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Wow! Sam!! Is that the one from Knoxville??

For the neck profile, look for a stamp on the butt, not the back. The '4' on the heel likely means no more than an identifier for the person who did work on the neck. And of course, neck radius gauges are your savior in determining the radius. And the change of the radius from 25" to 12" might exactly be that extra neck work responsible for the 2 stamps. Who knows?

Great score!

- Jos

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Hey Jos!

Thanks and you are correct sir, just happened to be in Knoxville on business and it was still around. :banana:

Super nice seller and a G&L fan as well.

Don’t recall seeing any information on the butt, I remember looking. Will borrow a radius gauge and get scientific about it.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:10 am

that's a pick six (string)!
totally cool and super rare, personally I like the red.
congrats!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:20 am

Thanks John,

Pick six (string) indeed. Funds may prevent a PAT however! :mad0025:

Ya know, red guitars have really grown on me over the years, and this is getting me over the old mantra that “black guitars sound better”. Unless of course it’s a Broadcaster…

Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:23 pm

Perfect!

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:11 pm

Thank you Casey!

For a superstrat this is pretty close to perfect. :thumbup:

Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:28 am

Congratulations, Sam. Forgive my ignorance but what kind of 'buckers are those?

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:23 am

Thanks Mutts,

These pups are Schallers.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:05 am

What a good get ! I am very happy for you. This is the SuperStrat's SuperStrat. You should post a sound clip of this one.

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:44 pm

sam wrote:Howdy campers!

My lucky stars, look what was intercepted before anyone else got wise, a 2 Hummer Interceptor!

A true rock machine, these Schallers have some volume and can get as gritty as I want. After testing through a Boogie Lonestar Special and with a few pedals my "snotty rocker" was coming out, as well as my "classic rock" Judas Priest, Sabbath etc.

Weighing in at 8.5lbs, not Les Paul heavy and pretty balanced. Another red guitar in the fold and I'm not too partial to red guitars but the color blend works. Only have one other dual fulcrum trem guitar but this seems a bit smoother. Could be honeymoon effect.

Would like to find an Interceptor build log to see how many two humbuckers were made, supposedly not many. This one seems to have had a neck adjustment based on two date stamps but I can feel no issues. It also seems to have a #2 neck not the usual #4 that was put on the Interceptors. Build log clarify.

If you find one of these hiding on Craigslist or in a closet somewhere, get er' while ya can!!

Man, that is stellar! I don't spend too much time in this section and somehow missed this. Looove the finish and that sickle headstock! I wonder if they'll ever offer that headstock again as a custom option. Happy NGD! What a score!

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Thanks Arpeggio,

The sickle is way cool IMHO and the finish grows on me more and more. This headstock could be frozen in time. :lol:

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:21 am

rad, man! I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for one of the first "x" body designs. So ugly it's cool - same thing with the Peavey Razer, another one of my fave oddballs

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Congratulations! I myself lucked into an Interceptor a couple of years ago (there's a thread here about it) and I'm still playing it. IMO the superstrat version is the most attractive. The X-versions are kinda ugly or at least, stylistically constraining.

I love those Schaller pickups, sincerely wish I could find a few more to drop into some other humbucker guitars I have. Clear, bright and full. Like a PAF but with more clarity.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Congrats Sam! That is uber clean and the rare sickle headstock is definitely Rad!

Cheers,
KF

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:36 am

Wow Sam! have't been on the forum for a while but what a great post to come back to. I don't have a red one but a couple other types and they are so fun to play. Been looking for a red one like that but with the three Single wound pups.

Great score...

Tom

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Thanks to ya all I haven’t responded to.

Spent some time with this the other day and it is one sick guitar. :alright:

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:46 am

Sure is a beauty !!