View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 NGD X 2 - Interceptor - ASAT Charlie Christian 

Post NGD X 2 - Interceptor - ASAT Charlie Christian
It has been a banner month for my ASAT and G&L guitar quest! (computer issues so my wildly enthusiastic emoji's not working)

A new NOS 1990 Interceptor and a previously loved 2014 ASAT Charlie Christian Limited Edition.

First I will share the latest post on the Interceptor SSS. This came in clean as a whistle. Posted as a NOS dealer guitar and I believe it. Came with all case candy and case lock keys. Have not had much time to play due to schedule but first run through this is a rocker, well balanced, and neck feels great. Tan / Gold color has kind of a yellow look which I like a lot. The three switches are also on/off which I be learning as well.

Now to keep the incredible month rolling, for my ASAT quest there was a ASAT Charlie Christian designed by the good folks at Martin Music posted that I couldn't let pass. Picked up before the Interceptor. If you read Jos' page on this guitar he nails the tone. http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... n_Ltd.html My interest is primarily in the jazz tone, which are phenomenal, the other pups provide all yer looking for. I have a feeling my son will try and grab this one, since he plays in two jazz ensembles in college.

Long post but some cool stuff lately. Will add more reports when playing time is possible.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:51 am

Post Re: NGD X 2 - Interceptor - ASAT Charlie Christian
Congrats Sam, on two great scores! I was also sorely tempted by that ASAT Charlie Christian. Jos's description piqued my interest... but then it was gone! Glad it went to a good home!

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:51 am

Sam,

The gold with single coils is the coolest version of that guitar made IMHO. We have one in it's shipping carton that I purchased
as NOS about twenty years ago from Milt Smith Music. These two guitars must be the cleanest examples of this model on earth.
That was an incredible find this late in the game.

y2kc

Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks guys!

tomanche, I stared at the Charlie Christian for a while, but after seeing other people “watching” I knew I had to jump on it. Played it a little bit tonight and was reminded why I wanted it.

y2kc, appreciate the kudos, I was stoked with the color when it got here. I recall you have one as well. Agree on “find this late in the game “. :evilgrin: How it was with a dealer and never sold is a real mystery to me.

Here's double trouble!

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm

Great scores, Sam!
What is the listed color of the ASAT?

Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:04 am

Thanks SUaPYG,

The build sheet lists mine as black.

Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:01 am

Sam, congrats on the excellent aquisitions! The interceptor is so cool, and uniquely made. Mine has the #4 neck, wider, with 25 in radius, quite a treat to play.
I approve of the tan on gold!

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:04 am

Hi John,

Mighty fine guitar specimen ya have there, and fine tuners to boot! :thumbup:

Pictures don’t do the tan/gold color justice. I could see an ASAT with gold body / tan sides / gold headstock as a custom guitar.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:45 am

Interceptors? Wait a minute Sam! I have a question, did the internet run out of ASATs for you to buy? :mrgreen:

You know I'm only kidding. Great score Sam. I dig the 2-tone color scheme on that `Ceptor.

Jeff

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:22 am

Hey Jeff,

It was a temptation I couldn’t resist! :evilgrin: Seeing a NOS SSS Interceptor was like a four leaf clover and I figured now or never. I will always be an ASAT guy, and the ASAT Charlie Christian will definitely get more playing time of the two.

Challenger’s new Doheny made my mind mistakenly think there are other guitars than ASAT’s. :shh:

Thanks, and I’m digging the two tone color as well.

Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:22 pm

Wow, congratulations. The ASAT pick-up is a Lollar then? Interesting. I bet that's nice. I put Lollars in a Strat and they are really great sounding. Strange looking but very cool.

Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 pm

mutts wrote:
Wow, congratulations. The ASAT pick-up is a Lollar then? Interesting. I bet that's nice. I put Lollars in a Strat and they are really great sounding. Strange looking but very cool.

Mutts,

Just to avoid confusion, the Lollar on that model is a Charlie Christian neck pickup, similar to one Mr. Christian had on his Gibson ES-150 in the day. The bridge pickup is the usual G&L ASAT Classic MFD.

- Jos

Thu May 05, 2022 6:55 pm
Profile WWW

yowhatsshakin wrote:
mutts wrote:

Mutts,

Just to avoid confusion, the Lollar on that model is a Charlie Christian neck pickup, similar to one Mr. Christian had on his Gibson ES-150 in the day. The bridge pickup is the usual G&L ASAT Classic MFD.

- Jos

Thanks, that's what I thought; I'm not familiar with that Lollar model. I'll have to look it up- curious how they sound.

Fri May 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Hey mutts,

Thank you my friend. Jos covered the Lollar pup end of it, but after more time with this guitar I will steal a comment from my jazz band son, this pickup is jus “smooth”. Have been playing through a Boogie Lonestar Special and a juiced up original Blues Deluxe (EVM 12L and tube / pots change) and finding the tone through the Boogie very tasty. The EL84’s have a sweet tone and the Lollars are just clean and clear. Tone rolled back gives some warmth and rolled up has a little more lively feel. Tried through the drive channel and it had a funky distortion that was fun. This guitar is going to live on neck pickup all clean for me. If you can find one of these or are thinking about adding a Lollar CC pickup to you ASAT Classic go for it. Just keeping it Smooth! :thumbup:

Fri May 06, 2022 7:20 pm

Beautiful Sam !! Love the color too

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]