Need a bit of help!

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm

I recently purchased a storage locker that had some very interesting guitars inside. 2 of which are G&L Broadcasters. the most amazing part is the serial number on one the guitars is BC00001, Number 1. It has all the paper work, signed by Loe fender document and all the candy that goes with it. what is this guitar worth and what should I do with it. i collect guitars but I also need to recoup my investment. Im new here if you have not figured that out.

Re: Need a bit of help!

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Pics?

If this is legit "then it belongs in a museum"
[youtube]63Gy5Raw438[/youtube]

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:27 am

DRPHATMATT wrote:and what should I do with it.

Burn it, as BC00001 is not supposed to exist! :twisted:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 am

It's going to take some pictures to prove existence around here!

According to the Registry, #3 went to George Fullerton and #5 went to Dale Hyatt. That doesn't leave a lot of room to guess where #1 would have gone, if it existed. Remember that G&L didn't use sequential serial numbers until recently, but low numbers were sometimes reserved for special presentations (as would have been the case with BC #3 and #5, apparently). Some unused Broadcaster neck plates did make it out of the factory, too.

IIRC, Dale Hyatt still has the production logs for the entire Broadcaster run. They would confirm whether #1 did leave the factory.

Ken

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:00 pm

DRPHATMATT wrote:I recently purchased a storage locker that had some very interesting guitars inside. 2 of which are G&L Broadcasters. the most amazing part is the serial number on one the guitars is BC00001, Number 1. It has all the paper work, signed by Loe fender document and all the candy that goes with it. what is this guitar worth and what should I do with it. i collect guitars but I also need to recoup my investment. Im new here if you have not figured that out.

See my ad in the Marketplace regarding G&L Asats and Broadcasters. I can help you.

y2kc

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 pm

I'll give 20.00 dollars more than any of these guy's

:happy0007:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 pm

...probably some gibson,fmic troll..
(it would be nice to be wrong though,the world can't always suck...right??)
Last edited by Elwood on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 am

DRPHATMATT wrote:I recently purchased a storage locker that had some very interesting guitars inside. 2 of which are G&L Broadcasters. the most amazing part is the serial number on one the guitars is BC00001, Number 1. It has all the paper work, signed by Loe fender document and all the candy that goes with it. what is this guitar worth and what should I do with it. i collect guitars but I also need to recoup my investment. Im new here if you have not figured that out.

Ah yes, Serial #BC00001.
There are only three people that have first hand knowledge of the Broadcaster s/n BC00001. That would be myself, G&L historian Gabe Dellavigne, and Dale Hyatt. (as far as Gabe and I are aware) Through the gracious efforts of Gabe, I was introduced to Dale Hyatt several years back and being particularly interested in the G&L Broadcaster, I along with Gabe was given the extremely rare opportunity to view the Broadcaster logbooks. Though the information has always been closely guarded, Dale answered any and all questions about the the Broadcaster line including what happened to BC00001. It was produced in 1986 along with the other low serial numbered Broadcasters. The guitar was never sold. It was given by Dale to someone for what he thought at the time was promotional purposes. It didn't work out that way. I spoke with Gabe to confirm the explanation Dale had given both of us at different times and the stories are very similar. Before making judgment we decided pictures would be necessary including photos and the s/n of the other Broadcaster in the storage unit and if possible who owned the unit. You can send photos and the info you have to me via private message or just post them. Between the two of us, we will tell you what you have.
Regards HLG

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm

What day is it? Is it April 1? I'm confused! :crazy:

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 pm

OK I have been at a three day seminar so I will take photos of the guitar and post as soon as posible. From what I can gather from the paper work in the box, this guitar was bought at jewelry and loan shop. (Browns jewerly palace) in Fullerton Ca. on 9-2-89 To a Joe Drongoski. The guiatr indeed has serial number BC00001, I have checked it 10 times just to make sure. I also have Broadcaster number BC00708.
Photos to come very soon, my wife needs to help me post them.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 pm

How do I post pics, me and the wife dont know with this forum?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4303

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94346360@N03/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8387/8587 ... 0d40_m.jpg

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 pm

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8587 ... 4677_m.jpg

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:47 pm

DRPHATMATT wrote:http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8587670496_020d604677_m.jpg

look at the posting tutorial i gave you the link to

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Louis I am horrible with computers, so thanks for the upload help.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:56 pm

DRPHATMATT wrote:http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8587670496_020d604677_m.jpg

Hello, Larry Here.
You sent me a private message but unfortunetly it didn't go through. Use my private email I sent you. Good news is that Broadcaster #BC00708 is a legitamate number and is in Dale's logbook. It's also in the G&L registry but there is however an issue. Under the "other Features" It states "Authenticated from production logs by Dale Hyatt on 9/27/05". This is not right. Dale Hyatt has never put this information out there on the Broadcaster models. There is one other logbook from the production side of the factory with supposedly the same information on the Broadcasters but has long since mysteriously vanished. This possibly is where the information came from.
Concerning BC00001. There are two issues with two of the photos that can't be overlooked. Please email that these might be addressed. On a brighter note, Here's a photo you connoisseurs of the G&L Broadcaster may enjoy. Dale Hyatt with ten G&L Broadcasters. (mostly NOS) I call it "The man behind the Broadcaster" pun intended since the Broadcaster concept was Dale's Hyatt's.
This photo was taken just over two years ago and represents five of the six different versions of the Broadcasters produced. The sixth would be the left handed model of which only two were know to have been produced.

HLG

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 pm

HLG wrote:[ Good news is that Broadcaster #BC00708 is a legitamate number and is in Dale's logbook. It's also in the G&L registry but there is however an issue. Under the "other Features" It states "Authenticated from production logs by Dale Hyatt on 9/27/05". This is not right. Dale Hyatt has never put this information out there on the Broadcaster models. There is one other logbook from the production side of the factory with supposedly the same information on the Broadcasters but has long since mysteriously vanished. This possibly is where the information came from.

IIRC, Jay Wright (aka Jaystrings) was the one who added those entries in the G&L Registry.
He had visited Dale at that time and Dale gave him access to the Production logs and Jay
copied the serial numbers of many of the Broadcasters and added them with that notation.

That's a great photo of Dale and those Broadcasters. :thumbup:

Looking forward to reading what you know about BC00001.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:54 am

The short truss rod nut isn't right (should be long). You'll need to check to see if the jack is recessed into the body as well. My notes show that BC00001 was completed 5/1/86 (as was George Fullerton's BC00002).

GG

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 am

GGJaguar wrote:The short truss rod nut isn't right (should be long). You'll need to check to see if the jack is recessed into the body as well. My notes show that BC00001 was completed 5/1/86 (as was George Fullerton's BC00002).

GG

You noticed that too. Good eye.
Actually Dale has BC00002. George had BC00003

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 am

HLG wrote:
GGJaguar wrote:The short truss rod nut isn't right (should be long). You'll need to check to see if the jack is recessed into the body as well. My notes show that BC00001 was completed 5/1/86 (as was George Fullerton's BC00002).

GG

You noticed that too. Good eye.
Actually Dale has BC00002. George had BC00003

When did short truss rod nuts start appearing on ASAT models? One of my 86s (neck dated June 8th) has a short truss rod nut, but it's also equipped with a Kahler and locking nut.

Ken

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:18 am

KenC wrote:When did short truss rod nuts start appearing on ASAT models? One of my 86s (neck dated June 8th) has a short truss rod nut, but it's also equipped with a Kahler and locking nut.

All models with a locking nut used a short truss rod nut. The change from long to short for most models happened in late summer, early fall 1990.

GG

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 pm

So what's the verdict with this?

Has it been decided that it is not legit due to the short truss rod?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:37 am

I am working with Larry and Gabe on this. It is my understanding that the guitar is Bc00001, however it has a few mods to it. 1) truss rod and 2) the electronics may have been changed. The pot dont have the date code on the side of the pots, there are located on the bottom. Im not sure why HLG has not reposted about it as of yet.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:25 am

DRPHATMATT

I appologize for my earier post. The circumstances of this find just seemed too convenient due to the popularity of shows like Storage Wars. Regardless or whether it has been modded, it looks like you found something significant. Congratulations.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

After reviewing the information sent to Gabe Dellevigne and myself by Matt, this is what's known about BC00001. It was one of the last G&L Broadcasters produced, being built approximately May of 1986. Sometime after May 1st this G&L Broadcaster was given by Dale Hyatt to former Kiss guitarist Mark St. John as a marketing strategy. About three years later it was seen in a pawn shop in Fullerton Ca. Who pawned it is unknown. This story was told to Gabe and myself by Dale at different times. I recall Dale saying it had been modified and he thought he might buy it back just for the BC00001 neck plate. The extent of the modifications are unclear. Dale never did go back to get the guitar and In September of 1989 the guitar was purchased from the pawn shop by the now deceased Joe Drongoski.

Forward to March 21st 2013;

Matt posted on the forum requesting information on one BC00001, claiming it, along with several other instruments and amps that he had recently purchased from a storage locker in Fullerton Ca. After contacting Matt, he was more than willing to supply detailed photos and Info of his recent acquisition. From the photos it's obvious the truss rod nut is not proper. Other photos showed the control circuit is also wrong with one of the pots being dated 10th week of 1992. It appears the entire control plate may have been changed. When and by whom these changes were made is unclear. Several things are right on this guitar. The string tree location is proper, the output jack is proper, the neck and body dates are proper, the signed sticker in the neck pocket is proper, the cert card also looks ok. The receipt found in the case from the pawn shop dated 9-2-89 to Joe Drongoski is the right timeline. The storage locker auction from the late Joe Drongoski has been verified. Everything adds up. One explanation for the truss rod nut change may be playing technique above the nut in which the longer nut would interfere. The circuit change is anyones guess. Gabe's thoughts are that there is a high probability that this guitar is the original G&L Broadcaster BC00001.

With the research involved, I tend to agree.

Larry aka HLG

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks Larry for your time and effort in sorting out the details on this guitar. It has been a pleasure speaking to and learning the history of the Broadcaster and G&L in general.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I toast to the return of BC00001 to the fold! :cheers:

- Jos

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:I toast to the return of BC00001 to the fold! :cheers:

- Jos

+1 !
(please pardon my skepticism earlier , glad to see things in a good light)

elwood

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

I purchased the BC0001 guitar from DRPHATMATT yesterday to keep it within the family of enthusiasts etc. It's going to reside in my BC collection that includes 4 of the Kahler bridge/ Maple neck BC rare birds along with a cherished BC that was signed by Leo on Christmas Eve etc. I'm listed (AKA) Master of the Broadcaster in the registry in case anybody is interested in the collection. Knowing that Dale ended up with BC00002 and George with BC00003 swayed me to jump on this one.

I see lots of questions on here about how BC's sound etc. The guitars in my collection sound very different and one maple neck normal is really different and clearly a go-to guitar for the sound alone. I checked the caps and circuit and it shows as identical to the rest so I can't explain it at all. All pickup combos have more cluck, punch, definition and it resonates so musically that even screwball chord and fingering mistakes sound good.

I love the fact that the G&L community is really a hard core group of players like myself. That is reflected in the super reasonable and non investment prices these guitars fetch. However, I think that makes these guitars all the more special and it makes me much more sentimental about the really unusual ones.

Lastly - Does anyone have advice about leaving the truss rod as is or should I bring it back to original equipment? I have the parts to do that.

Mark
Fremont, CA
Last edited by oemexp on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:16 am

Mark,
very exciting ,it sounds #1 has found the perfect home ( and you got a pretty good deal IMO).

thanks for the update ...I'll have to go to the gallery and browse around, it's been awhile..

I'd be tempted to leave the truss nut as is for a while...no hurry right?
I've been tempted to swap out pickups in a rarebird...but I'm just not sure I should,it may not be perfect...but it shows it's history and plays fine. BC00001 might fall into that category.

Let us know when you have some new pics up.

congrats :cheers:

elwood

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks Elwood,

The price made me wonder if anybody out there even cares about these guitars at all (However, the truth is obvious). I then decided that I care - a lot. I play violin and we all know how the good ones are valued. I may be crazy but I think Leo is going to go down in history similar to the Strad. family. The value in early Fenders and these guitars may only be realized long after we are all gone but I see it coming as clear as day. I'm just happy to know that the more collectible G&L's are not being destroyed and lost.

Mark

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:04 am

oemexp wrote:The price made me wonder if anybody out there even cares about these guitars at all (However, the truth is obvious).
Mark

Part of the equation is that they are just not as well known as some other brands. I just recently got my first G&L. I knew of them but there was never anyone regionally that carried them and so, never got the chance to play one or see one. If they became as ubiquitous as fender, you would see the prices rise. The quality and feel of these guitars speaks volumes but you have to be aware of them and go looking for them. Much different than tripping over a fender on every corner.

Congrats on the acquisition. :happy0065: Lots of history in that one.

I think you either have to be a talented guitarist, or rich, to build a collection. I am neither so I will watch from a distance and drool!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 am

good score Mark , if there ever is a truly great Broadcastor it would have to be 001 among the top of the great's

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Hey Mark,

Great pick up. Nice to know this rather illustrious instrument stays with somebody who can appreciate its history.

- Jos

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks guys.

Mark

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 pm

oemexp wrote:Thanks Elwood,

The price made me wonder if anybody out there even cares about these guitars at all (However, the truth is obvious). I then decided that I care - a lot. I play violin and we all know how the good ones are valued. I may be crazy but I think Leo is going to go down in history similar to the Strad. family. The value in early Fenders and these guitars may only be realized long after we are all gone but I see it coming as clear as day. I'm just happy to know that the more collectible G&L's are not being destroyed and lost.

Mark

Mark,

Having read through this thread I care that a guy like you has acquired this guitar. You rescued it from potentially being lost once again to careless oblivion. The sad story of this guitar has the ingredients for a great Pixar movie.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Mark

Enjoy the guitar and I hope I don't regret the sell. I had two of these from the locker and another ASAT that I fell in love with, it is literally the same guitar just a maple burst with black hardware, these guitars play beautifully. The Broadcaster just did not speak to me visually thus the sale.

Keep on Playing!!

Matt

Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:24 am

Thanks Matt. The guitar arrived and it's exactly as described and in fantastic condition. I will likely start another thread with more pictures for those who have asked for them.

Mark

Mon May 04, 2015 1:54 am

Hey guys. I know this is an ancient thread bump. But I may have some info of importance.

I have worked on a number of guitars once owned by the late Mark St. John. Mostly Charvel's. I do not know the reasons behind this, but the guy had problems with truss rods. Just about every guitar I have touched that was connected to him has had a truss rod repair or total replacement. I still have one here right now. So I always associate him with busted truss rods. It very well could be this guitar suffered a similar fate as other guitars he owned.

Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 am

Hi Brocklee and thanks for the truss rod info. I don't own a Broadcaster but I do own several other G&Ls and truss rod issues were common among the early guitars.
If Mark St. John traveled with Kiss, presumably his guitars would be subjected to extreme temp. fluctuations and they would require frequent truss rod adjustments. So he wore out the t-rod nut and replaced it. It wouldn't bother me if it worked.

Cool guitar.