f100 with Pickgaurds?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Hello There!

I have just inherited an awesome F100 Series II with an odd pickgaurd. It is odd in the sense that it looks professionally done. Nothing else on this ax seems modded. I was wondering if anyone else has seen/owns one with a pickgaurd, if it is a proto, or a factory deal? Let me know your thoughts!

Re: f100 with Pickgaurds?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm

pics?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am

Need a pic, but I can't recall ever seeing an F-100 with a guard. My Music Man Sabre has one, but I'm pretty sure that the F came naked.

Bill

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 am

starbucker wrote:Hello There!

I have just inherited an awesome F100 Series II with an odd pickgaurd. It is odd in the sense that it looks professionally done. Nothing else on this ax seems modded. I was wondering if anyone else has seen/owns one with a pickgaurd, if it is a proto, or a factory deal? Let me know your thoughts!

Please post some photos. See Tutorial: Posting photos for details on posting them.

Here's some F-100 pics for reference:

:searching:
Last edited by Craig on Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed pic links

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

Starbucker,
Not too long ago I saw an F-100 with a pickguard in a picture either on this board or Ebay and I thought it was an addition done by the owner. Shortly thereafter, as I was sifting through some of my photos, I found what looked like the exact same guitar with the pickguard installed. I could not remember why I had the picture, but it was an early F-100 and I don't believe that I made the guard. It is possible that we made a couple of these by request since the guitar was not offered with a guard. I will look for the photo tonight and see if I can post it. This also might have been made to show at NAMM to see if there was any interest.
Fred

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Starbucker,
I found the pictures I mentioned before. The picture I have is of a series 2 candy apple red F 100 with a maple neck and a hardtail bridge. The pickguard is small, similar to an old Melody Maker. In this picture the guard has a sticker on it that I believe is the instructions to remove the plastic protective film. I'll try tomorrow to post these pics,
Fred

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Here is a link to some of the pics. Hope this Helps. I am familiar with what normal f100s look like, but never saw one like this. If it wasnt done at the factory, whether by an employee or special request, it was done right. It looks to be supppperr well done. no lifts. no rough cuts.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/starb ... 1161921333

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/starb ... 3796927114

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/starb ... 7235342724

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/starb ... 9374851655

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Here are the pics in the thread:

To paste directly into the thread, just use the "timage=" button above the reply text box.

Ken

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Aside from the decal and pickguard, this looks like a completely stock F-100 to me. I'll be interested to see how Fred's photo compares to these.

Please add your F-100 to the Registry, and note the pickguard in the comments section. You could also scroll through the F-1000 entries to see whether anybody else has mentioned having a pickguard.

Ken

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:34 pm

KenC wrote:To paste directly into the thread, just use the "timage=" button above the reply text box.

Ken

Actually, you can use the Img BBCode. I recently changed the maximum photo width from 1000 to 1024 pixels.
See A change to the maximum width of inline photos has been made snd Tutorial: Posting Photos.

:ugeek:

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm

It looks like someone with a steady hand modeled it from a LP style guard .
The lines aren't graceful enough to convince me it was G&L designed.

On a bright note...that F-100 is in spectacular condition (minus the added pickguard screwholes).
You usually see some rust in the slotted poles on the pickups.
I have a black F-100 lle like that one...very snappy with all that maple and an
allaround fun guitar to play.
Are you going to keep her?

I could be wrong about the guard ,but I would expect a few more curves in a George or Leo design.
(and it just looks like an epi or lp guard) :searching:

elwood

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 am

I will be keeping it. Its actually in killer shape, the "scratches" that appear on my bridge pick are just dust. I got it in an LP trade, as the Flatness of the LP board was killing my fingers ( bum index finger here haha). I love the 7 1/2 rad and low profile frets. Couldnt design a better guitar in my dreams. The only thing that boggles my mind is how these puppies have such light resale. Anything in the market these days with the same specs would be 1500+..
Back to topic though.. Anyone else see these girls with gaurds?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am

there's one on Ebay right now with pick guard ...... also BC00020 is on Epay right now

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm

geee fumble fingers, thanks for your reply. it really changed my life. except its uselss.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:39 am

There's no way that pick guard is "professionally done"- not only is the gap around the neck pickup is massive but it doesn't follow the lines of the pickup at all. Its a Les Paul pick guard hacked up to join the F100 control plate.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:39 am

Not factory.

Bill

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:There's no way that pick guard is "professionally done"- not only is the gap around the neck pickup is massive but it doesn't follow the lines of the pickup at all. Its a Les Paul pick guard hacked up to join the F100 control plate.

sure looks that way.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 am

Pick guards in generally are things to be avoided, as they always make the guitar looking cheesy and cheap. ;)
That might be a matter of taste of course, but therefore the LE-2 is a kind of "no go", at least for me. So I would remove that guard as quick as I could and as the finish is solid black, it wouldn't be hard to hide that screw holes.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:50 am

starbucker wrote:geee fumble fingers, thanks for your reply. it really changed my life. except its uselss.

sorry about that Starbucker ..... I have some new bi-focals coming but not here yet .... I swear I didn't see the plastic pick guard , just the chrome cover around the knobs .....

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 am

"sorry about that Starbucker ..... I have some new bi-focals coming but not here yet .... I swear I didn't see the plastic pick guard , just the chrome cover around the knobs ....."

haha no probelm fumble fingers. I too rock the reading glasses.

As to my picgaurd being "hacked up", I wouldnt bother posting it if it looked rough in the least. I have a super hard time believing anyone has that smooth of a hand. This looks to have been done with some proper tools, just a bottle of whisky and a dremel.

Any luck finding more pics from the past, people? I am super curious to see if anyone else has seen these before...

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:23 am

Fumble fingers wrote:
sorry about that Starbucker ..... I have some new bi-focals coming but not here yet .... I swear I didn't see the plastic pick guard , just the chrome cover around the knobs .....

I was wondering which F-100 you saw with a pickguard, that make sense now.

all my best mr. fumbly fingers,
elwood

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:07 pm

That pick guard is definitely a DIY job and detracts a bit from the quality of the guitar. It should have gone around the pick ups as already said to make it more in line with fender curved lines. However,I can understand why some one might have thought it was a good idea to put it on.

I have an early tobacco finish F100 II and whilst it it plays well enough to be honest it is a bit of an ugly duckling of a guitar. It is just too plain and I know it all the eye of the beholder but think it is missing a pick guard! The exception is the natural finish model which looks sweet as is.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:Pick guards in generally are things to be avoided, as they always make the guitar looking cheesy and cheap. ;)
That might be a matter of taste of course, but therefore the LE-2 is a kind of "no go", at least for me. So I would remove that guard as quick as I could and as the finish is solid black, it wouldn't be hard to hide that screw holes.

took the words out of my mouth. a little slobbery no?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:55 pm

starbucker wrote:"sorry about that Starbucker ..... I have some new bi-focals coming but not here yet .... I swear I didn't see the plastic pick guard , just the chrome cover around the knobs ....."

haha no probelm fumble fingers. I too rock the reading glasses.

As to my picgaurd being "hacked up", I wouldnt bother posting it if it looked rough in the least. I have a super hard time believing anyone has that smooth of a hand. This looks to have been done with some proper tools, just a bottle of whisky and a dremel.

Any luck finding more pics from the past, people? I am super curious to see if anyone else has seen these before...

that is just a stock lp pg with one cut. does not belong on a g&l, although all the sides but one are factory cut. it does however qualify as a hacked up lp pg.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

"that is just a stock lp pg with one cut. does not belong on a g&l, although all the sides but one are factory cut. it does however qualify as a hacked up lp pg."

Yah.... um no. Actually there is only one side that is not cut. making three sides that are "hacked"... thanks you. a2+b2=c2, if that helps

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:Pick guards in generally are things to be avoided, as they always make the guitar looking cheesy and cheap. ;)

Yeah, they look cheap. :happy0007:

The F-100 with hacked on pickguard is pretty bad though, I would never add a pick guard to an instrument.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:31 pm

starbucker wrote:"that is just a stock lp pg with one cut. does not belong on a g&l, although all the sides but one are factory cut. it does however qualify as a hacked up lp pg."

Yah.... um no. Actually there is only one side that is not cut. making three sides that are "hacked"... thanks you. a2+b2=c2, if that helps

that is just idiotic. what does a2+b2=c2 have to do with it? that is a factory lp guard and the shortest side is cut to match the control plate. the other sides are factory. look up lp guards and see the difference.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:37 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
starbucker wrote:"that is just a stock lp pg with one cut. does not belong on a g&l, although all the sides but one are factory cut. it does however qualify as a hacked up lp pg."

that is just idiotic. what does a2+b2=c2 have to do with it? that is a factory lp guard and the shortest side is cut to match the control plate. the other sides are factory. look up lp guards and see the difference.

Gotta agree with Louis here, the cut where it would normally fit around a humbucker, fitting very loose around the MFD is a real tell tale. Someone just contoured an LP pick guard, if it was cut properly, from scratch, the pickup would have been accommodated.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 pm

sirmyghin wrote:
Yeah, they look cheap. :happy0007:

You did a really fine job with your ASAT guard, it's one of those mods that looks like
it was always meant to be .

elwood

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:39 pm

louis cyfer wrote:took the words out of my mouth. a little slobbery no?

Which are your words? :confused0007:

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:took the words out of my mouth. a little slobbery no?

Which are your words? :confused0007:

Pick guards in generally are things to be avoided, as they always make the guitar looking cheesy and cheap.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Louis, Your comments are not helpful. Go to another discussion unless you have anything positive/usefull to say.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Star, what left is there to discuss? someone grafted a LP pick guard on to your F100 and punched a few screw holds after trimming an edge. It is pretty straight forward. It was not a factory 1 off or anything special. As I mentioned (as well as Blarg), a really dead give away, is the standard humbucker + pickup ring sized hole for the pickup there at the neck.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Like you said, there is nothing to discuss. Bashing my guitar isnt helpful either. Go play guitar or read a book.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:24 pm

I bashed it how? Just relax, you asked a question, you got an answer, it isn't the one you wanted and you have been a bit defensive since. This place has a pretty chill atmosphere, so I wouldn't bother personalizing everything.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 pm

starbucker wrote: it really changed my life. except its uselss.

...you must get alot of that .
I see folks just trying to help until you expressed yourself as one who deserves help.

as Homer proclaims : Help meeeee jeeeeeeebus !!
(any Simpsons fans here?)

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Elwood wrote:as Homer proclaims : Help meeeee jeeeeeeebus !!
(any Simpsons fans here?)

Yep, right here. I'm reminded of this classic moment...
[youtube]JoAiyUduyrY[/youtube]

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:56 pm

Guys, please hold off posting further on this [edit: I decided to temporarily lock this topic]. I have privately contact starbucker about this and will await his response in the next day or two.
starbucker, please contact me ASAP.

--Craig

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 am

Craig wrote:Guys, please hold off posting further on this [edit: I decided to temporarily lock this topic]. I have privately contact starbucker about this and will await his response in the next day or two.
starbucker, please contact me ASAP.

--Craig

He has asked to be removed from the site, which I have now done.

I will leave this thread locked.

:ugeek: