The Ballad of Bahama Blue

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

I've seen and read about some Leo-era guitars in Bahama Blue finish and I'm wondering:

- How rare of a color this is/was.

- Why was it an uncommon color (Sir Fred Finisher, are you out there?).

- What models and time frame was this color available.

I realize it's difficult to post photos of this color due to it looking black from camera flash and whatnot. But if anyone here has a Leo-era Bahama Blue colored instrument, I would be delighted to see this.

Thanks in advance!

Re: The Ballad of Bahama Blue

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm not sure how rare it was, but it definitely doesn't show up as often as black, red, blonde, sunburst or any of the clear finishes. IME it shows up mostly (if not exclusively) on instruments from the last half of the '80s. I Bahama Blue instruments listed for sale more often than ones in Pepto pink or screaming yellow.

There was an old thread where Fred discussed this color. He referred to it as Viking Blue, but he described it like Bahama Blue. I think he said that was the term they used in the finishing department. The early price lists give "Blue" as a color option for the first-style SC and SB models, so the "Viking" must have been added later. He was at the factory until '85 or '86, which was about the time frame of the earliest Bahama Blue G&Ls I've seen. I'm not sure where I'm heading with this. I need to go look for that old thread.

It should have been available on any models that didn't have standard colors (like the Broadcaster). My '86 Lynx is Bahama Blue. It was built in the late summer (August, IIRC). I've seen it up through the change of ownership. By the mid-90s there was a similar color with a metallic appearance, called Cobalt Blue.

Here are a couple of shots of my Lynx:

My color vision isn't the best, but it seems to me that the finish is dark blue under bright lights or a flash, and appears almost black when the lights are dim. The photos capture the way it looks to me.

I hope this helps. If there's a New Guitar Day in the near future, I really want to see photos!

Ken

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello Electrodyne and KenC,
The color in question was called Viking Blue although I don't believe it was ever called that in the ads. Back when I first mentioned this, I searched my basement to see if I still had a can with the label intact. Unfortunately, I had tossed it because it leaked. I did find a can of Apple Red which was the original red for the SCs and SBs. This blue was so deep that it had to be sprayed over a white base coat or it would not cover. It was nearly translucent similar to the Rampage Red that came later. I hope this helps,
Fred
As far as the models it was offered on goes, I believe we only used it on the SCs and SBs.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Fred,

Thanks for sharing that. I've always understood this to be Viking Blue:

Was this how it looked over the white base coat? I've never seen the color in this photo of my SC-1 on anything but an '82-'83 SC or SB, and I've never seen the darker shade like my Lynx on anything that early. I'm just trying to make sure I understand this...

Ken

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 am

KenC,
Your SC1 was referred to as blue. It is one of the original Red, White and Blue colors offered. There was an ad that had them listed simply as Red, White and Blue that I remember seeing recently in the archives. The dark blue was called Viking Blue but somewhere along the line, the light blue became known as Viking Blue. It will be nice to see how Gabe and Greg list these colors when they finish their research for " The Book". In the finish department, the dark blue was Viking Blue and I believe we called the light blue simply Blue.
Fred

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 am

Fred,

The '83 price list and ad both list SCs and SBs as having blue as a color option. The first places I see Viking Blue show up in the Gallery are the '85 and '88 price lists, which give it as a choice for the Lynx only. Bahama Blue is listed only for the SB-1. The '90 price list give Viking Blue as an option for the SC-3 and quite a few basses - the SB-1, SB-2, Lynx, and L-5000.

I've seen several examples of SB and L-5000 models from the late 80s in a light blue that is very similar IMO to the '82-'83 SC series "blue" finish. They seem to pick up a greenish tint over time, so sometimes they are described as Belair Green. The only blue Lynx I've ever seen is mine, so I don't know whether it is representative of the model overall. It's definitely not going to be mistaken for the lighter blue used on the late '80s SB series and L-5K. The only blue example of a late (approx. 1990) SC-3 was the same shade as my Lynx.

Is it possible that the name was swapped at some point around '86-'88? Or were the names swapped sometime later among G&L fans?

Ken

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:33 am

I checked the Gallery again. There are two basses shown with the darker blue finish, similar to my Lynx: an '87 SB-1 and a '90 L-5K. According to the price lists, the SB-1 was available in Bahama Blue and the L-5K was available in Viking Blue. Did G&L Sales use the names interchangeably?

Ken

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:41 am

Here's my '90 (or so) L5K:

I had a S-500 sig with the same color.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 am

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the input. Great photos of some mighty fine instruments too!

Let me see if I'm reading this correctly:

Viking Blue is the deeper, dark blue and Bahama Blue the lighter, pale blue (or is it the other way around)?

I recently came across a late model, Strat-shaped SC-3 in the deep, dark blue. What's interesting about it, is that it has a maple neck - not the usual rosewood fingerboard with painted maple neck that is more commonly seen. From a distance, it looks to be black but up close it has a purple-ish/dark blue tint. Definitely more of a deep purple that blue. It seems like a sublime, cool color that tricks you into thinking it's black from a distance. I will get some photos of it posted soon (once I figure out the best image hosting system, etc.).

I've only seen one other Strat-shaped later model SC-3 with a maple neck. It was made in 1990 and the body was a sunburst color. Were the maple neck Strat-style SC-3 models the last of that model's production line at that point, and are these particular body/neck configurations considered to be "stragglers" on the production line to fulfill orders?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Tim,
As a dealer, when did you first see the lighter blue referred to as Viking Blue? The dark blue we had in the finish department was labeled Viking Blue by our lacquer provider, Spartan Lacquer, but it seems that at some point the name was transferred to the lighter blue. I'm asking because ever since I saw the dark blue referred to as Bahama I have had a hard time trying to picture Vlad the conqueror coming ashore in a powder blue ship.
Fred

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:

PS: Still laughing at Vlad the Conquerer in a powder blue ship!

+1 :happy0065:

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:06 am

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote: I also just checked my old G&L Music Sales Inc. binder - it's filled with price sheets, catalog sheets from the early 80's thru the mid 80's.

Tim,

Any chance of that material hitting the Gallery in decent-sized scans??? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most of the literature in there now is about the size of a postage stamp...

Ken

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey Guys,
I just want to be clear about the finish color. Although I am sure that the Darker blue was called Viking Blue by the lacquer supplier, I am not sure what Dale actually called it in the sales catalogs. As far as I know, the red color was never called Apple red by the sales department but that is what the lacquer supplier labeled it for us. Some day we might know the actual number that were painted and what they were called.
Fred

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 pm

KenC wrote:
Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote: I also just checked my old G&L Music Sales Inc. binder - it's filled with price sheets, catalog sheets from the early 80's thru the mid 80's.

Tim,

Any chance of that material hitting the Gallery in decent-sized scans??? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most of the literature in there now is about the size of a postage stamp...

Ken

I wonder if you are viewing the full size images in the Gallery? Try clicking on these thumbnail images and you should see the
larger size photo. All of the original photos from Brad were small and I have updated the one's I have from the G&L Sales binder I
got from Dave many years ago. I may have missed some, so If you could identify the ones that you'd like enlarged, EM or PM me with
the link to them and I will see if I have them in my collection and will update them in the Gallery.

If any members have scans of G&L Ad Slicks and Memorabilia, please send them to me along with some details and I will add them to the Gallery.

Thanks.

:ugeek:

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Craig,

Thanks for asking. I do click on the thumbnails, but most of the documents from the 80s are still pretty small at full size. It would be great if we could have a full set of price lists up there. Those are very helpful when researching early G&Ls. The model brochures would also be good at a larger size (a few like the '88 bass models sheet are already at a readable size).

Ken

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:59 pm

KenC wrote:Craig,

Thanks for asking. I do click on the thumbnails, but most of the documents from the 80s are still pretty small at full size. It would be great if we could have a full set of price lists up there. Those are very helpful when researching early G&Ls. The model brochures would also be good at a larger size (a few like the '88 bass models sheet are already at a readable size).

Ken

I have already posted the only Price Lists I have for that era. Perhaps, Tim or another member has some which could be added.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Hi Craig:

I've a couple of boxes with G&L items that I saved over the years. Everything from interviews to memorabilia to literature, catalogs, price sheets, etc. I'll try to pick through it all and see if there's something the G&LDP could use. Don't expect it quickly as I'm sorta buried in chores! :) :crazy:

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Whatever you've got and whenever you can get it to me would be great! :thumbup:

Thanks.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm having problems figuring out how to post photos here. So in meantime, here's a link to my Flickr account.

Notice how the guitar is way more purple than deep blue. Could this be a trick of the flashbulb or an odd/custom color?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28634846@N00/10074410745/

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:08 am

This older thread helped with the color research:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3152

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 pm

electrodyne wrote:I'm having problems figuring out how to post photos here. So in meantime, here's a link to my Flickr account.

I couldn't get in through that link. It asked me to sign in with Yahoo.

electrodyne wrote:Notice how the guitar is way more purple than deep blue. Could this be a trick of the flashbulb or an odd/custom color?:

If you compare the second and third photos of my Lynx, you can see how it looks different with a flash (in the second photo) and without (in the third). In person it can be closer to a black/purple if the lighting is dim. Which makes me think it's new nickname will be The Raven...

The same thing happens with my El Toro, which has a Clear Blue finish over swamp ash. Without a flash, it looks like a solid finish and is almost as dark as Bahama Blue. With a flash, it looks like this:

Ken

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Artists on a budget know you are better off photographing objects in the shade outside.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:Hello Electrodyne and KenC,
The color in question was called Viking Blue although I don't believe it was ever called that in the ads. Back when I first mentioned this, I searched my basement to see if I still had a can with the label intact. Unfortunately, I had tossed it because it leaked. I did find a can of Apple Red which was the original red for the SCs and SBs. This blue was so deep that it had to be sprayed over a white base coat or it would not cover. It was nearly translucent similar to the Rampage Red that came later. I hope this helps,
Fred
As far as the models it was offered on goes, I believe we only used it on the SCs and SBs.

I was recently going thru the Gallery Ad Slicks and Memorabilia Album and found the 1988 Price List. Here are two pages listing Bahama Blue for SC-3 and SB-1 models
and Viking Blue for the Lynx Bass model:

I then searched our Registry on each color and found these results (Note: there are some obvious entry errors):

Bahama Blue:
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/int ... nter_fmt=1

Viking Blue:
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/int ... nter_fmt=1

So, what do we know??? :confused0007:

Hopefully, Gabe and Greg's G&L book will finally identify which color is which. :think:

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Craig wrote:I was recently going thru the Gallery Ad Slicks and Memorabilia Album and found the 1988 Price List. Here are two pages listing Bahama Blue for SC-3 and SB-1 models

Thanks for posting this! If you check the 1988 SC-3 ad in the Gallery (which shows every finish), the blue is light - like what we've been calling Viking Blue. I haven't seen a dark blue SB-1 from the late '80s, but I have seen several photos of late '80s SB-2s that have been called Belair Green. IIRC, that color wasn't on the charts for a couple of more years. It's about what the light blue would have faded to by now, if my "Viking Blue" SC-1 and (early) SC-3 are any indication.

Ken

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:04 pm

KenC wrote:
Craig wrote:I was recently going thru the Gallery Ad Slicks and Memorabilia Album and found the 1988 Price List. Here are two pages listing Bahama Blue for SC-3 and SB-1 models

Thanks for posting this! If you check the 1988 SC-3 ad in the Gallery (which shows every finish), the blue is light - like what we've been calling Viking Blue. I haven't seen a dark blue SB-1 from the late '80s, but I have seen several photos of late '80s SB-2s that have been called Belair Green. IIRC, that color wasn't on the charts for a couple of more years. It's about what the light blue would have faded to by now, if my "Viking Blue" SC-1 and (early) SC-3 are any indication.

Ken

You are welcome. Also, the 1988 Brochure also lists the SC-3 being available in Viking Blue (VBL).

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:28 pm

What great research and history regarding a single color!

This is an SC-3 that should be coming my way shortly. The photos show more of a purple tint than blue, though the gentleman I spoke with says it's a "super dark blue with purple overtones".

[timage=]Image[/timage]

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:28 pm

electrodyne wrote:This is an SC-3 that should be coming my way shortly. The photos show more of a purple tint than blue, though the gentleman I spoke with says it's a "super dark blue with purple overtones".

That's interesting. It does seem more purple (in this photo at least) than my Lynx. The overall features and serial number make me think this could have been a very late production SC-3, possibly even after the model was out of production. I'd be really interested to learn the dates in the neck pocket. I'm guessing '91 or '92. This could end up being a custom finish. I can't wait to see more pics!

Ken

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:32 pm

electrodyne wrote:This is an SC-3 that should be coming my way shortly. The photos show more of a purple tint than blue, though the gentleman I spoke with says it's a "super dark blue with purple overtones".

That's interesting. It does seem more purple (in this photo at least) than my Lynx. The overall features and serial number make me think this could have been a very late production SC-3, possibly even after the model was out of production. I'd be really interested to learn the dates in the neck pocket. I'm guessing '91 or '92. This could end up being a custom finish. I can't wait to see more pics!

Ken

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 pm

I know the trend these days is primo woods with classic finishes,
a retro part of me (who still lives in the 80's) still needs some sparkle purple G&L with a neon green* logo and markers,
I'm guessing that won't happen unless I put up Custom $$.

Can't wait for more pics...cool score!

elwood

*GLow in the dark or Green Led's please :mrgreen:

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi everyone.

This late-era SC-3 arrived yesterday. I'm without an amplifier at the moment, but was able to try it out through a friend's amp. Can't believe how amazing this sounds! Very little single coil hum (if any). It's quite a guitar.

The color is definitely not Bahama Blue, but more of a super dark purple. The purple hues are only visible in reflective light. My attempts at taking photos and capturing the purple hues seemed unsuccessful. I also have slight color-blind issues too and my friend with the amplifier said she could see the purple hues just fine. This also leads me to wonder:

- Was this a one-off custom color intended to fulfill an order? The serial number is G03224.

- Could this have been a black guitar that was exposed to prolonged sunlight, with the end result giving it it's purple overtones from the sun fading the color?

Despite the colors not seeming like they are visible in the photos I took, I will post some to share with everyone over the weekend.

I would also like to sincerely thank everyone who frequents & posts on this website, whose valuable insights and info on these guitars led me to this purchase; especially to the people who reached out to me via private messaging and direct e-mails. I would not have made this purchase without your help!