satin finish rough patch

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Hello, new to the forum but not to G&Ls. I bought a new ASAT Classic Bluesboy recently and it's an amazing instrument. It has the satin neck finish which is incredibly smooth. There is a small area where I feel roughness. At first I thought is was some adhesive or glue, but it didn't clean off. It's almost like something touched that area when the finish wasn't dry. Slightly bumpy patch. Does anyone have any tips on how to smooth this patch out. I'm worried about put anything too abrasive to it, I might just leave it alone.

Thanks in advance.

Re: satin finish rough patch

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:59 pm

hrod455 wrote:Hello, new to the forum but not to G&Ls. I bought a new ASAT Classic Bluesboy recently and it's an amazing instrument. It has the satin neck finish which is incredibly smooth. There is a small area where I feel roughness. At first I thought is was some adhesive or glue, but it didn't clean off. It's almost like something touched that area when the finish wasn't dry. Slightly bumpy patch. Does anyone have any tips on how to smooth this patch out. I'm worried about put anything too abrasive to it, I might just leave it alone.

Thanks in advance.

Hello hrod455,

I have sent your post to my contacts at the factory to get any advice they can provide regarding the rough patch.
BTW, where are you located?

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:54 am

Craig wrote:
hrod455 wrote:Hello, new to the forum but not to G&Ls. I bought a new ASAT Classic Bluesboy recently and it's an amazing instrument. It has the satin neck finish which is incredibly smooth. There is a small area where I feel roughness. At first I thought is was some adhesive or glue, but it didn't clean off. It's almost like something touched that area when the finish wasn't dry. Slightly bumpy patch. Does anyone have any tips on how to smooth this patch out. I'm worried about put anything too abrasive to it, I might just leave it alone.

Thanks in advance.

Hello hrod455,

I have sent your post to my contacts at the factory to get any advice they can provide regarding the rough patch.
BTW, where are you located?

Stay tuned.

Here's Chris' reply:

HI Craig,

Oh so lightly hitting it with 1500 grit sandpaper &/or 0000 steel wool should do the trick.
From the description that’s what I would most likely try if it were here.

Thanks,
Chris R
Warranty Repair/Service Dept. USA
G&L/Tribute Musical Instruments
crobosan@glguitars.com

Hope this helps.

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks for the reply. Should this be wet sanded or dry? I have Stew Mac preservation polish that I use to wipe guitars with. Is it a good idea to try sanding with a little polish?

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:17 am

I would use 1500 but put it over a wood block and dry sand carefully only trying to remove the high spots. The satin finish is very thin. Wet sanding may give it a bit of gloss.-- Darwin

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:32 pm

That worked like a champ! I went very easy on the rough patch, little by little until it smoothed.
Very happy with the results..like there was never an issue!

Thanks for the help. :)

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 am

hrod455 wrote:That worked like a champ! I went very easy on the rough patch, little by little until it smoothed.
Very happy with the results..like there was never an issue!

Thanks for the help. :)

Good to hear that you have been able to resolve this. :thumbup:

Enjoy.