Re: New G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 pm

This ‘60s Fender R&D Telecaster template looks to be in very nice shape. I just found it in....you guessed it...a dark, dusty loft.
The mystery and magic of CLF Research never stops surprising me. I love this place.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:11 pm

I volunteer to help organize this pile :D

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Our 1986 Skyhawk in Sunburst over mahogany with ebony board.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Our 1983 SB-1 is the original version with single coil MFD pickup and slab body. The headstock is a slimmer version of the original CLF/G&L bass headstock
as used on early L-1000 and L-2000.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:29 pm

The Robert Poss 1983 red SC-1 may be the most intriguing of his legendary modded SCs A second pickup was added,
a neck pickup from an SC-2 which is similar to jumbo MFD neck pickup on ASAT Special today. They are paired to work as a
humbucker and the mini toggle controls parallel/single/series which is a total CLFR move and I love it.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:09 am

I'm more impressed by the half-flamed neck. Intrigues.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:15 am

Interesting the way the pickups are adjusted on that SC-1.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Naturally delicious.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Flight controls

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:37 pm

Magnet samples from the ‘70s, possibly before the CLFR factory began production in 1976.

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:52 pm

CLFR vibes. Mostly late ‘60s to early ‘80s bits in these two drawers in Leo’s lab.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 am

Wow- Bronco, Jaguar, Mustang and Coronado are the bridges that catch my attention (apart from that early (?) DFV.)

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Early CBS-Fender inter-office memo envelope, before they changed to special CBS printed ones. By this time, Leo had moved his lab
and office to CLF Research on Elm Street as you see written. Old Fender people may recognize some names, and I kinda hope someone has
a little nostalgia trip. That would make my day. : )

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 pm

I am stoked!!! Tonight I’m spending time with my brother Johnny’s MFD split coil interpretations of the pickups found in Leo’s CLF-67/68 prototype.
Presently this proto is running a modern G&L L-series preamp for active mode. Spencer wired each pickup to be switchable series/parallel just to see how
the pickups would react and I can safely report they catch a bus to funkytown. So far, so fun.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 am

Very cool! :thumbup:

inquiring minds want to hear...

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:49 pm

A typical riff I go I for funkability and jangle city testing when I’m alone cause I can really feel a groove with the open string bass line.
Anyway, Johnny’s MFD evolution of Leo’s prototype CLF-67/68 pickups are super cool with the modern L-series “micro preamp” board.
The mule is not set up, no fret dress (ouch!)...just slammed together because I wanted to play with it NOW!!! Everyone here understands
my sickness and if you follow this page, I bet you can relate. Now back to my crazy time warp machine.

phpBB [video]

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Very cool. How do those pickups differ from Z-Coils?

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am

So I’m doing some work, but it’s Saturday so I start goofing off and found this Korina Collection ASAT Bass from like 2011 or whatever.
I think I’m gonna give it a little love and keep it in Leo’s Lounge. Yeah, it’s kinda heavy but it’s a monster.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:00 pm

So appreciative of the McLarens and Craig collaborating on this reposting of FB content -- fantastic stuff, a real "living history!"

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:12 pm

40 more hangers for the expansion of Leo’s Lounge

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Spencer added CLFR knobs and colored switch tips to this 2012 Korina Collection ASAT Bass.
So the story is this bass was returned by a dealer for being too heavy and it’s been here ever since.
It’s like 10 pounds, but it’s a big ‘ol slab of Korina so yeah... gonna do that. Anyway, I’m stoked with my new toy!

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:57 pm

My friend Greg Gagliano sent me this 1998 pic of Ed Sebest doing a neck perimeter cut on one of our old SCMI pin routers.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I bought this 1984 SB-1 and the original knobs were long gone. These are nice dome Tele knobs, but...I can’t deal with them anymore...I’m sure you hardcore CLF fans feel me. So...today I have a little game. I’ll search for some original knobs, but I won’t take them off another instrument or some other cheating. I’m going for legit dusty find somewhere in Leo land. If I fail I’ll put some CLF knobs on there and see what that’s like. Here goes...

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Gettin’ dusty and diggin’ for gold. It’s a little beat up, but I have one original radio knob. I’ve worked this place over so I’m gonna go explore another part of the 2548 building. Come on...one more knob... I need the spirits of Fender Avenue to come through. : )

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Johnny and I geeking out on the start of our new stage in Leo’s Lounge. Our neighbor Bob is a cabinet craftsman and he’s building a badass stage that I can’t wait to jump on.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm

I had to dig deep for this one, but I have a second radio knob for the ‘84 SB-1. Let’s get ‘em cleaned up and installed!

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Bob’s back with more wood for the stage. Construction starts on Monday and I’m psyched!

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Ahhh, the ‘84 SB-1 has correct knobs. Now I can sleep tonight. No I can’t. I’m thinking of the stage and the fun we’re gonna have.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Bob isn’t just building a stage, he’s crafting a stage. More like a second story of a house. All screws, no nails.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Our 1992 ASAT Classic Signature. It was an exciting time for my brother Johnny and me. We had taken over from Leo Fender just a year before
and sales were growing well. Man those were fun times. But ya know what? I think now we’re having more fun than ever.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm

November 20, 1969 pickguard template made to prepare the CLF-69 prototype guitars. The earlier CLF-67/68 prototypes lead the technical development,
while new styling was developed in 1969.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Taking a break from measuring and marking for guitar hangers in the expansion of Leo’s Lounge. I didn’t know quite where I wanted them so I just started measuring and got it figured out. Gotta keep on moving....
EDIT: got it done, and by my count this display wall will hopefully have 26 hangers mounted tomorrow.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 am

The crew is working hard in Leo’s Lounge today! Two of the guys just started drilling and test mounting hangers I measured out last night. Meanwhile electricians are doing other stuff with ceiling lights and the stage.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 am

Had to hang a few instruments just to vibe.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 am

My brother Johnny is making a control plate from the CLF-69 styling concept. Note the 1969 pickguard template I showed you yesterday.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:55 am

Making progress!

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

Just milled a second prototype pickguard based on the original 1969 CLF-69 template, itself a prototype from 50 years ago. Cleaned up a few bits and it turned out nice.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:37 pm

My son John D. McLaren and his friend Tyler are helping touch up the walls near the new stage.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 pm

While the boys are working in Leo’s Lounge, I went to take some pics of our 1980 L-1000 in Sunburst on mahogany with maple neck.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:48 pm

The boys did a great job. The hangers are back up and this display in the performance venue is looking nice. Of course I had to hang a bunch of stuff immediately. : )

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:26 am

Amazing work y'all !!
What a wall of sound :D

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:37 am

Impressive!

It would be nice to see at least one lefty hanging up there.

I guess that's to be expected; still no LH Z-Coil...

Cheers,
Will

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:22 am

A moment of silence for the old fridge which has finally died. It will be remembered for its 1980s stickers from L.A. rock radio stations
like KMET and KLOS. How about that KLOS Robert Plant sticker? I can just hear them spinning Big Log to death lol. Chorus for everyone! Good times.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Down from the ladder after hanging the stage drape. Tomorrow the stage and whole lounge is gets carpeted. So stoked about this!

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 pm

A little more light on the performance venue display wall.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 am

I dig the display wall!

So, in that vast cavern of G&L history, there wasn't at least one “sickle headstock” ?

An Interceptor, Skyhawk or L5000 would be a nice touch...

Cheers,
Will

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 am

The carpet crew is working on the stage and lounge today.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am

While I’m waiting for the carpet crew to finish the job, I found myself wandering out in
dusty Unit J finding vintage pickguards for possible project builds. I’ve been super busy with
actual work but I promise I’ll get back to the project builds really soon.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am

The carpet is finished, time for fun. Gotta throw down some loud noises from my new stage before turning out the lights for the night.