Re: New G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:01 pm

I’ve gotta give props to G&L Custom Shop for making this Skyhawk so awesome.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:08 pm

The Espada mule had fuzz before it even got to the fuzz pedal. Ok, I realize that was lame, but I got this far so here ya go. ; )

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 am

Very very very nice :thumbup:

Craig wrote:

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 am

Elwood wrote:Very very very nice :thumbup:

Craig wrote:

What he said.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Taking this ‘87 ASAT out for a drive.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Vintage Windex in the lab. I am known to have a thing for Windex, so this was a pleasant surprise. I guess it’s been hiding on this bench truss and I just didn’t notice.

Still works after like 28 years. Windex is my jam.

phpBB [video]

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:02 pm

They could be pharaohs.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:04 pm

The bottom end is in the middle row.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:55 am

Science!

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Craig wrote:
Science!

Oh the old Interstate 20MHz Log-Linear Sweep Generators! The F77s had that nasty mustard colored cover, complete with the black vinyl handle on top. Those were solid.

That takes me back... (wiping away a tear)...

Edit: just noticed the placement of the manual trigger, that's not an F77... I'm guessing an F34?

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:37 pm

A nice pair

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:33 pm

My sword is magical

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:34 pm

This is kind of stuff that keeps me late. V12 at full power, no helpers, kicking the Marshall in the face and it punches right back. The cleanup when I roll off some bass is insane.

phpBB [video]

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm

February 23, 2018: development of the V12 continued...slowly. I just wasn’t happy with set after set of test pickups,
but my brother Johnny kept pushing, trying things until we had a breakthrough. Suddenly it was exciting and fun again.
Thanks, Johnny!

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 am

March 26, 2018: test fitting laser cut Skyhawk pickguard and control plate shapes. There was still a lot of refinement work to do,
but I was very happy to see the progress we made.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 am

Sonic, Himalayan, Sonic, Himalayan

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 pm

L-1000 ad slick from ‘84 if I remember correctly.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:06 pm

This 1977 StingRay I guitar highlights how far the design had changed from the CLF-75G1 prototype we looked at on February 1.
George’s body shape became an attractive blend of Strat and Jazzmaster forms, while Leo changed the electronics starting with what he
called “end-to-end” humbucking pickups.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm

In 1980, the CLF battery plate was updated with the word BATTERY and a decorative border stamped in.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 pm

3, 2, 1k....boom

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm

couple weeks ago I posted that I found a bin full of NOS brass bushings for the CLF battery plate screws.
I just walk by Johnny’s office and he had the whole bin pulled out of Unit J and brought to his office.
That’s my bro, always making stuff happen.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Here’s Johnny (!) drilling out some Espada covers using his wooden jig. Look at that gorgeous early ‘60s Delta Rockwell drill press. I just love the Art Deco industrial style and this one was made right before they changed to a mid-century clean design.

Anyway, Rick is making a sweet milled aluminum jig we’ll use in production of Espada covers, but as we prepare other aspects of Espada pickup manufacturing, Johnny will keep drilling covers on his wooden jig.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 pm

On my post about CLF battery plates yesterday, I see my friend Tony Hill commented, “I had one.” Well, check this out, Tony. Right now your ‘81 L-2000 has a NOS raw battery plate on it. I borrowed your original chrome plate for one of the Espada prototypes at the NAMM show. I think it’s kinda cool that your battery plate played a role in one of the stars of the show. No worries, I’ll put it back. : )

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm

The Robert Poss SC-1 guitars have been soaking up the mojo in the cart behind Leo’s desk. The red one is getting a neck, and blue one I should have sent back in December but [insert excuse here]. So today, the blue one will get a second check by G&L Custom Shop and it goes back to Robert who has been super cool with me playing with his toys for ages. I’ll post some nice pics first of course, and Robert, I got a little something for you that I think you’ll dig. I’ll be back a bit later....

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Plates about to be picked up by Vince. Next time we see these they’ll be beautifully polished chrome. Yeah, even those Skyhawk plates. I think they’re going on a model called Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk HH. A handful of old CLF battery plates from Unit J in the box too.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I can see for blocks and blocks

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 pm

The first pre-production Pharaoh Gold Firemist V12. The one that confirmed my belief that a big ‘ol piece of CLF black powdercoated aluminum would look insane with Pharaoh Gold. The one we sent out for photos. The one that’s been demoed and loved (particularly by me). Robert Poss this one’s for you, amigo. It’ll share the ride home with your blue SC-1.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 pm

A modern G&L micro preamp is too wide to be mounted parallel to the Espada control plate as visualized in the late ‘60s, so Johnny is designing a standoff that holds the pc board perpendicular to the plate. To help him visualize the space he has to work with in the original 1969 cavity, he made a control plate out of Lexan so he can see through it as he comes up with the design of his standoff. Johnny makes stuff happen.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Gettin’ down in funkytown with the Espada going into the BMAX-T bass preamp. Espada’s parallel mode would have blown minds in the ‘70s.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Leo’s prototype MFD humbuckers constructed under Stingray guitar covers. These pickups are wider (neck to bridge) than the Sabre guitar and F-100 guitar pickups which shared the same dimensions, making these appear to be more related to V12 pickups than F-100 pickups.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Pharaoh Gold Firemist. It’s my jam lately. I mean, imagine how fly Cadillac was in 1973 and 1974 when they offered this color. Naturally,
it looks stunning with a lot of old school CLF bling.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:06 pm

New Tool Day: a beautiful early ‘60s Delta Rockwell Unisaw that was owned by Pomona Unified School District, about 20 miles from here.
The patina on this thing is awesome, and a little buffing will really bring out the finish.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:22 pm

I went to G&L Custom Shop and noticed one of George’s books and thought, “That’s great, these guys have to know and appreciate our rich history.”
So this is the book where I spent a lot of time working on material with him. ***whoa!!** I just opened it to see the copyright date because I forgot how long it’s been.
Huh, 2005. Then I glanced at the next page and found George’s handwritten note to me. Wow, that was a major nostalgia trip!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Doug is noodling on an old Leo sig ASAT. “Great guitar...” he’s mumbled that a few times lol.

phpBB [video]

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm

The sword and the booty

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Taking our 1982 S-500 for a drive. This is the original formula S-500, Leo’s first evolution of his 3-single-coil platform since, well, you know.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 pm

This thing delivers 3D glass yet still has that MFD bottom end punch.

phpBB [video]

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 pm

I got the Pharaoh Gold Funkymist. Well, sort of lol. But I do have fun with it.

phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:08 am

Goodbye, everybody, I’ve got to go...to my friend Robert Poss

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Bridge pickup series, then single, then parallel, and back to series, which I also call party mode. Straight into the Marshall.

phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 pm

Taking it back to late 1974 into early 1975 with the CLF-75B1 styling model. At this point, the headstock style was at least roughly settled on,
there would be active electronics and three knobs, and the bridge plate shape was pretty close. George kept working on styling for whatever Leo would
ultimately decide goes in the bass that would later be named StingRay.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Johnny completed his pc board standoff and established its position inside Leo’s original 1969 cavity. Johnny routed out the back side of the body
so he can see exactly where he wants the preamp positioned. That’s my brother, making it happen! I’m sure Leo would be proud, too. Turned out the
inquisitive Johnny boy grew up to do great things here.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:49 am

Period Correct

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Can’t get enough of this

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Johnny got a new batch of CLF battery plates stamped out and they’re beautiful.
I saw this box and had to take a moment to admire them before they go to Vince for plating.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 am

I love goooold! <- who said it?

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Goldmember!

"He's got the Midas touch, but touched it too much" - Beyonce

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Don Randall and Dale Hyatt (I believe) flying high in the golden days of Fender Sales, Inc.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 pm

This Tribute Series LB-100 in the lounge is killer. Sure, the detail isn’t the same as a full Made in Fullerton bass, but never mind that.
Plug this in, feel that sweet neck, hear that classic Alnico tone beefed up by that Saddle Lock bridge. Better than just a workhorse.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm

9:40PM last night: Johnny texts me sketches of a design he has for perfectly positioning the Espada preamp standoff to the control plate. Johnny is 24/7.
I heard the fixture or jig thing he is making will be slick and Leo-like. Whatever that means, I can’t wait to see it.
I’ll show you when he’s gotten this thing off the ground.