The CLF Research L-1000: An Icon Returns

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am

Recently posted on G&L's facebook page:

The CLF Research L-1000: An Icon Returns

The new CLF Research L-1000 brings back the best of the iconic passive G&L bass from 1980. Fans of the vintage G&L “wunkay” know what we're talking about.

It’s that rounded, fast shape of the neck combined with the slick feel of an old gloss finish. It’s the clean, modern aesthetic of the original CLF/G&L headstock.

It’s the tactile delight of those beautiful CLF Research knobs shimmering from an elegant chrome control plate. And of course, there’s the legendary punch of the L-1000’s MFD humbucker in OMG mode.

Now take all that goodness and pack it into the slimmer mid-90s L-Series body shape for added comfort and lower weight, and you can make it through that 3 hour gig with tone and style to spare.

And when you’re on the road, you can count on the neck to be more stable than those beloved vintage wunkays, with a modern dual-action truss rod and twin graphite stiffening rods. Add it all up and you’ve got the best of the vintage CLF vibe with the best of modern G&L elements.

The new CLF Research L-1000 is a fully modern “wunkay” that pays homage to its roots with classic details including the early CLF/G&L headstock and neck profile, beautifully reproduced CLF knobs and control plate, and red-capped mini toggle switch tip.

Thin urethane finish choices are:
•Pharaoh Gold Firemist over basswood with Caribbean rosewood fingerboard
•Old School Tobacco Sunburst over Okoume with Caribbean rosewood fingerboard
•Rally Red over basswood with maple fingerboard
•Natural Ash with maple fingerboard
•Royal Purple over Basswood with Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard [Added 1/2020]
•Blueburst over Swamp Ash with maple fingerboard [Added 1/2020]

Learn more: http://glguitars.com/product/clf-research-l-1000/

See more here: Some Photos of the new CLF Research L-1000 bass
Last edited by Craig on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Royal Purple and Blueburst to available choices and link to some more photos

Re: The CLF Research L-1000: An Icon Returns

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 pm

This is exciting! It means that the CLF L-2000 was not an anomaly, but the beginning of a new product line. Shall we speculate on what comes out next? I am hoping for the SC-2 and F-100. (Is it a coincidence that these were recently discontinued, along with the L-1000? I think not...) Really cool would be the SC-1, HG-2 and/or Cavalier!

G&L, if you are listening, please include the preamp in the CLF F-100! Also, please offer the black crinkle hardware as an option for all of these!

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 pm

saw a guy 2 weeks ago at a blues festival with an original red L-1000, 1980, ebony fretboard.
talked to him for a bit. he had mothballed it for 15 yrs, then broke it back out and rediscovered,
now his #1 for best tone and playability

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 pm

:happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 am

Very interested to see what comes next....Its great to see them appreciate how unique and cool their early instruments were.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:59 pm

This press release is the first time I've seen graphite neck stiffening rods mentioned for any G&L, but on another forum I've seen posts indicating they've been using the rods for awhile. If so, I'm surprised they haven't promoted it.

Oh, and I'll take my CLF L-1000 in Pharaoh Gold Firemist please! Gorgeous finish, which I hope becomes their replacement for Yukon Gold as a standard finish.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Really cool- I still wish they'd use something like a walnut plug or even plastic ferrule on the truss hole though (if not a bullet.)

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am

Posted today on G&L's facebook page ...

phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:18 am

For anyone (like myself) behind a firewall that disallows content from social networks (such as Facebook)

The video can be seen here:

phpBB [video]

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 am

Cool that G&L is actually using the CLF Research company to guide their lineup choices. Not much of a bAssman man myself. Hoping some guitars might make their way to the surface

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:15 am

mikemjr12 wrote:Cool that G&L is actually using the CLF Research company to guide their lineup choices. Not much of a bAssman man myself. Hoping some guitars might make their way to the surface

I have good reason to believe we will see some CLF RESEARCH guitar models coming .... this was recently posted on the CLF Research facebook page:

That’s a sample reissue CLF Research guitar knob. Looks awesome, so we’re gonna do a production run of them and they should be in the online store in July. I just love these things.

Last bumped by Craig on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:15 am.