Project Poss Machine

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 am

Dave McLaren kicks off Project Poss Machine, a customized SC-1, owned by Robert Poss from Band of Susans.
Check it out on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/TsIvg14dx8M

phpBB [video]

Re: Project Poss Machine

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:57 am

I had never noticed that it was a neck pickup. I always assumed it was a second bridge pickup. Dang that guitar looks sweet! Can't wait to see more.

Cheers, Dan

Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Poss' guitars are what first drew my attention to the SC models. I love everything about them, from the pickguard he added to the original control plates. Very cool. Wish G&L would bring the SC models with the original control plate style. Awesome to see them build a new neck for this classic.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:13 am

What I was gonna say...is that I’m gonna get the truss rod installed in the new neck for #projectpossmachine

Used Leo’s late 1960s Rockwell Model 20 band saw to slice off the fingerboard from the 6/4 maple board.
Mmmm....maple smells so nice get into mah bellah!

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:16 am

he neck blank for #projectpossmachine passes through Leo’s classic 1970s Timesaver wide-belt sander.
My brother John has developed crazy skills at rebuilding and fabricating stuff for this golden age machine.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:17 am

Some people think I just mill around all day. Well, sometimes I actually mill stuff, like the truss rod channel for #projectpossmachine

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am

The neck for #projectpossmachine will look and feel old school CLFR but be more stable with this dual-action rod.

Truss rod fitment

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 am

#projectpossmachine chillin in Leo’s cart. This ancient cart was used to transport massive quantities of mojo yet it never moved.
Is this even possible? Ancient alien theorists say “yes”

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am

“Try new Titebond roll-on. Even on your toughest gigs your neck won’t break a sweat.”
Manny sent me this pic from the Woodshop and reports “I use Titebond every day because in my work,
coming unglued isn’t an option. Thanks, Titebond!”

*ding ding* one maple and Titebond sammich order up!

Under pressure: the neck marked “DMC” is for #projectpossmachine while the glue dries in the old Taylor press.
Also you are now earwormed with either Queen/Bowie or Vanilla Ice. You’re welcome.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:26 am

The original Robert Poss SC-1 neck hangin in the woodshop. There’s gonna be some sexy custom fitment goin on #projectpossmachine

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:28 am

Me staring at this for 10 minutes thinking about my plan for this neck #projectpossmachine

#projectpossmachine neck gettin saddled up. Now I’m thinking of my boys Aerosmith rockin “Back in the Saddle” which was a seriously badass track

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:30 am

Guitar tuner holes are smaller than bass tuner holes so we use a drill bit with a couple of pecks to keep things clear.

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:32 am

Whoa, these tiny holes are gonna blow your minds with the unbelievable alien technology used to create them.
Somebody call Giorgio Tsoukalos, this is some crazy action going down. The company that makes this “machine” is American,
but who gave them this technology? Was it back engineered from artifacts from actual crash sites? I doubt it.
I mean, no decent UFO should squeak just because you mill a little wood in it. Anyway, the holes are shallow
so don’t need to peck these just hit ‘em quick with a sharp stick

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 am

Now, where were we? Ah, yes, we made some lovely holes, and some are actually pathways to another dimension: the other side...of the headstock!

And now...the other side. Boring!!! Let’s do some stuff to it

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:36 am

Oh hello there today I’m preparing some of my delightful maplewood chips

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:37 am

Headstock scoop cutter comin in hot. Oh this is gonna be good. Nope!!! Meathead here f’d up the iPhone, so here is a totally unsatisfying video

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:39 am

This is what you came to see ya bunch of weirdos

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:40 am

A nice clean drill is always #satisfying . . .

phpBB [video]

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Latest on this project via G&L Player's Update email:

Dave McLaren updates us on Project Poss Machine, a customized SC-1, owned by Robert Poss from Band of Susans. #projectpossmachine

Check it out on YouTube:
phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Dave McLaren wraps up Project Poss Machine with a little help from Funk Pusher Man.

phpBB [video]