NGD! Doheny V12 setup and other questions.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:35 pm

After much help from a number of members here, I pulled the trigger last week on a Doheny V12. It arrived a few days earlier than expected, which made for an interesting conversation with my wife, but nothing too traumatic.

I’m having a great time figuring out my favorites of all the combinations of pickup, switch and knob settings and anticipate that will keep me busy for a while. I picked up the new Walrus M1 modulation pedal at the same time and am in pure knob twiddling heaven.

Couple of questions: First, this is my third G&L with the DFV bridge, but it came setup unlike the others. Rather than the eighth inch float parallel to the body that I think is the current normal, the bridge was screwed down with almost no pull up capability, and the saddles were dialed way up off the bridge plate to get the action right 9and it was nicely playable in this config, it didn’t seem like a mistake). I spent the time to raise the bridge and lower the saddles and after probably one last round of tweaks will have it exactly where I like it. Is the Doheny some outlier in how the bridge should be setup? Is the new factory setup putting the bridge plate against the body?

Second, just curious, but does anyone know why the headstock artwork is unlike the rest of the CLF and G&L line? What I have is consistent with what I see on the G&L website so I’m not concerned or anything, but just wondering why no model name nor the couple lines of text below the main logo.

Third, it seems like the pickup selector switch has a small amount of tension in the up or down position that makes it like to jump to the middle position with a small amount of pressure. Some part of my strumming action has me occasionally knocking the switch to the middle position. Probably just a me thing, but has anyone else noticed the “springiness” to the switch?

Thanks all!

Re: NGD! Doheny V12 setup and other questions.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:53 pm

I owe a family picture.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:37 pm

The bridge plate should be floating and parallel to the body of the guitar. It should not be screwed down. I don’t know why yours would have come this way unless the dealer was thinking Fender when setting it up for you.

The headstock on all the Doheny and Doheny V12 is rather plain. That is the way they come. G&L really should have put the Doheny name and V12 on the headstock. I am not a fan of the model logo delete, but that is how they all come for whatever reason.

My selector switch feels normal to me. Much like my Les Paul. I wouldn’t say it pops to the middle easily, but probably easier than a three way ASAT switch.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:45 pm

Challenger wrote:The bridge plate should be floating and parallel to the body of the guitar. It should not be screwed down. I don’t know why yours would have come this way unless the dealer was thinking Fender when setting it up for you.

The headstock on all the Doheny and Doheny V12 is rather plain. That is the way they come. G&L really should have put the Doheny name and V12 on the headstock. I am not a fan of the model logo delete, but that is how they all come for whatever reason.

My selector switch feels normal to me. Much like my Les Paul. I wouldn’t say it pops to the middle easily, but probably easier than a three way ASAT switch.

Regarding the headstock decal, see this post: New G&L offset model: Doheny!.

Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Craig wrote:Regarding the headstock decal, see this post: New G&L offset model: Doheny!.

Ha! I knew this had to have come up before. Somehow I missed that. Thanks!

Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:30 pm

Ok, I’ve had a few weeks here to get to know this guitar and have been having a great time, although I’ll admit I spend a lot of my playing time screwing around with all the different tonal options. So many sounds to choose from.

I have a question about the red and white pickup switches. I have been assuming that up is series humbucking, middle is parallel, and down is split. Can anyone verify that assumption?

Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:59 pm

Regarding the switches, up is humbucking in series, middle is split, and down is humbucking in parallel. Split and parallel are very similar, but you should notice a little extra high end sparkle in the split.

Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:01 pm

Pork Rind wrote:Ok, I’ve had a few weeks here to get to know this guitar and have been having a great time, although I’ll admit I spend a lot of my playing time screwing around with all the different tonal options. So many sounds to choose from.

I have a question about the red and white pickup switches. I have been assuming that up is series humbucking, middle is parallel, and down is split. Can anyone verify that assumption?

From the G&L website spec page for the Doheny V12:

each of the Doheny V12’s MFD humbuckers is individually controlled by a 3-way mini toggle with classic CLF color-coloded switch tip, white for neck pickup and red for bridge pickup.
and
CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), series/parallel/single mini-toggles for each pickup.

Hope this helps.

Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:00 pm

Maybe? I’m just looking for confirmation that the switch works like this;

Top : Series
Middle : Parallel
Bottom : Split

I’m pretty confident that top : series is correct, but I don’t have any experience with a parallel configured humbucker so I’m less clear how to confirm that that’s the middle position.

Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:17 am

My V12 is split in the middle and parallel when down. Tap on the coils in the different positions and you will find out if yours is wired differently.

Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:24 am

Tap on the coils in the different positions and you will find out if yours is wired differently.

File this answer in the category, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

Thanks!