New Doheny V12 Rusting

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Hi everyone. I bought a new Doheny V12 from Sweetwater on 6/23 and received it about 10 days later. I've been pretty busy and only have a few hours of playing time with it. Last night I picked it up and noticed a bunch of the pole pieces in the MFD's are rusting. I emailed my sales rep from Sweetwater and G&L but I haven't heard any response and have now been on hold for awhile with Sweetwater. I have other G&L's with MFD's but I've never seen this before. Any advice on what to do about it? I'm a bit concerned about the pots and wiring being rusted as well.

Re: New Doheny V12 Rusting

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 pm

That's weird. Personally, I would send it back if it is still within the return period.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:03 pm

I’m with Tooslowhand on this one. Might even ask if it was a return. Do you have any fresh from box pictures to compare?

FYI - I always take time stamped pictures of new instruments from unpacking to full instrument picture for legal reference. This has come in handy twice.

Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:46 am

sam wrote:...FYI - I always take time stamped pictures of new instruments from unpacking to full instrument picture for legal reference. This has come in handy twice.

Same here. Unopened box - then step by step. Nothing makes a claim easier than pictures and $#!t happens.

If you didn't order relic'd (rusted) pups, send her back.

TJ

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:14 am

They definitely didn't come like that. I reached out to both Sweetwater and G&L. G&L gave me the option of having it RMA'd or sending me new pickups. Was kinda surprised since these pickups are not for sale yet. I opted for the pickups for now but if there's any rusting in the pots after I pull the pickguard then I'm going to RMA it.

Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:46 pm

smell my mule wrote:Hi everyone. I bought a new Doheny V12 from Sweetwater on 6/23 and received it about 10 days later. I've been pretty busy and only have a few hours of playing time with it. Last night I picked it up and noticed a bunch of the pole pieces in the MFD's are rusting. I emailed my sales rep from Sweetwater and G&L but I haven't heard any response and have now been on hold for awhile with Sweetwater. I have other G&L's with MFD's but I've never seen this before. Any advice on what to do about it? I'm a bit concerned about the pots and wiring being rusted as well.

Couldn't help but notice the amount of pick scratches on the pickup cover. Did you buy this as a demo or brand new sale?
I have seen several CLF Research Doheny V12's sold as Demo sales at Sweetwater. if that is what you bought did they offer a reduced warranty for less than the 10 year
warranty that G&L provides for all sales of new USA G&L instruments?

Anyway, it sounds like G&L will be sending you replacement pickups. Will Sweetwater be installing them for you or did you elect to do the work yourself?

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:29 am

They will rust sooner or later anyway.
But right, at the G&L factory they could have put a few drips of oil on them.

Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:05 am

I would have expected the pole pieces to be enamel coated to prevent rust. Maybe they got a bad batch.