Just got a new Doheny V12 yesterday.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:41 am

It's Pharaoh Gold Firemist, brand new from Sweetwater.

I'm still getting used to the offset body style, but I'm loving the tones I'm getting out of this thing, and the fit/finish is top notch. It's a great sounding guitar, and I'm digging it.

There is one small problem, though. Yesterday, after I inserted the tremolo arm and tightened the set screw I noticed the arm kind of felt "grindy" as I rotated it, and it would start getting wobbly after a while. I also own a Fullerton Deluxe S-500, so I'm very familiar with G&L tremolos and know how they are supposed to feel, so knew something was off. So I loosened the set screw and pulled the arm back out. Looked in the hole with a flashlight and realized the problem immediately. The nylon rod that's supposed to be in between the arm and the set screw is missing. So when I tightened the screw it was just metal on metal grinding. I'm currently talking with Sweetwater to see if they can send me a replacement nylon piece.

Having said all that, I actually prefer the larger diameter and shape of the tremolo arm on my S-500. I noticed on the G&L parts website there's a listing for the CLF research 3/16" arm mount, which allows you to retrofit the CLF style arm mount on a guitar that came with the larger style arm mount. But what I want is the opposite, and I don't see a listing for that. I want to install the larger style arm mount on a CLF guitar. I want the same style of trem arm that I have on my S-500. Is it possible to special order this part?

Re: Just got a new Doheny V12 yesterday.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:52 am

Congrats on the V12! I agree it's a versatile guitar.
For the missing bushing: remove the trem cover on the back of the guitar and see if the bushing is somewhere in the cavity. I had that happen to one of mine.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:25 am

Yeah, I already thought of that. No dice. There was nothing in the cavity. I also thoroughly looked in the case to see if maybe it came out of the backplate hole and wound up in the case. Either it was never installed from the factory or Sweetwater lost it during their "55 point inspection" process. I'd be surprised if they mess with the set screw during that process, though.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:32 pm

Hahnsoulo wrote:It's Pharaoh Gold Firemist, brand new from Sweetwater.

I'm still getting used to the offset body style, but I'm loving the tones I'm getting out of this thing, and the fit/finish is top notch. It's a great sounding guitar, and I'm digging it.

There is one small problem, though. Yesterday, after I inserted the tremolo arm and tightened the set screw I noticed the arm kind of felt "grindy" as I rotated it, and it would start getting wobbly after a while. I also own a Fullerton Deluxe S-500, so I'm very familiar with G&L tremolos and know how they are supposed to feel, so knew something was off. So I loosened the set screw and pulled the arm back out. Looked in the hole with a flashlight and realized the problem immediately. The nylon rod that's supposed to be in between the arm and the set screw is missing. So when I tightened the screw it was just metal on metal grinding. I'm currently talking with Sweetwater to see if they can send me a replacement nylon piece.

Having said all that, I actually prefer the larger diameter and shape of the tremolo arm on my S-500. I noticed on the G&L parts website there's a listing for the CLF research 3/16" arm mount, which allows you to retrofit the CLF style arm mount on a guitar that came with the larger style arm mount. But what I want is the opposite, and I don't see a listing for that. I want to install the larger style arm mount on a CLF guitar. I want the same style of trem arm that I have on my S-500. Is it possible to special order this part?

Congratulations and welcome to our site! :greet:

Many years ago G&L did offer the new style trem arm socket in the On-Line Store.
You might email the Manager of the G&L On-Line Store. Here is the address: webstore@bbesound.com.
You might also contact Sweetwater and see if they will sell you a new style trem arm socket (including the set screw and nylon bushing) and trem arm.

Hope this helps.