NGD! Trib ASAT Special

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Wow – I have been GASing for some jumbo MFDs after listening to Nick Jaffe's reviews. :crazy:

I just got this 2012 Tribute ASAT Special delivered and love it. It was brand new, never played, in the dealer's warehouse all this time, waiting for me to come along. I can't take a picture without glare and reflections (too glossy and shiney!) so I am posting a couple of pictures that the dealer took. It is flawless, plastic still on the pickguard, and the finish really brought out the grain in the mahogany. Any imperfections you see are either the watermark in the dealer photo or the pickguard plastic.

Sounds great and has great sustain. It is my first guitar in mahogany, first with MFD's, and first saddlelock bridge. Very musical and fun to play. I will be putting fresh strings on it and doing some tweaking on the set up but out of the box, it is very playable and gets a nice variety of sounds. Down the road, I will probably put in a Sam switch :lol: (the 4-way) that should come standard IMO.

This thing blows away any MIM F* stuff I have tried. :BangBang: Kudo's to G&L. My brother is already talking about buying one for himself after seeing mine – he was going to get a tele. I will get this registered with G&L and in the GbL registry when I take a break from playing.

Wooohoo :banana:

Re: NGD! Trib ASAT Special

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Very nice! I'm also gassing for some large MFD's and a saddle lock next time.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Hey fianoman,

Sweet ASAT ya got there love the burst. You will see why we love Leo's saddle lock., with those pups killer tone. That 4 way is a booster for big MFDs.

Enjoy :alright:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:47 pm

the finish on the Tributes are bad azz !! .... sweet guitar ..... I don't have a Saddle Lock guitar yet , maybe a few more weeks I will , till then I'll just look at yours :)

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am

Hey Sam - I pulled out my geetar toolkit to adjust the action a bit on the new ASAT and at the bottom of the box was an old pick from Rhythm City. :o

I know you mentioned the store in one of your posts somewhere. Not saying that it is an old pick but the phone number was only 7 digits, no area code. 236 exchange. :lol:

Was the old store on Buford Hwy? Those days are a little cloudy. :shocked028:

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

That is one of the nicest finish options available on those IMO. The Tribute bursts are consistently well-done.

What is the Sam 4-way switch?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Wow, the past comes back to haunt us all :shocked003: It's a little cloudy for me too.

The old store was somewhere in Buckhead, don't recall street, it could have been a section of Buford hwy, that is a street in Atlanta. They moved to a road off I 85 in late 90's and got bought out by GC, I try to stop by when in town.

How's the ASAT treating you?

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Salmon wrote:That is one of the nicest finish options available on those IMO. The Tribute bursts are consistently well-done.

What is the Sam 4-way switch?

Salmon,

The finish is stellar for a guitar in this price range. The burst is definitely my favorite. Very classy and classic. The pictures do it no justice.

The Sam reference is a little tongue in cheek. In a previous post, Sam had talked about a 4-way switch, saying that it should be standard on all ASAT's. I wasn't familiar with it so asked for an explanation. It allows you an extra configuration with a two pickup single coil guitar, wiring the coils in series for a fatter tone.

This is one example. I will probably order it soon!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... 3&xsr=9435

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:59 pm

sam wrote:
How's the ASAT treating you?

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Love it. The sustain is amazing. Can you hear it? I'm grabbing a bite right now but it is still going. :lol:

It is unlike anything else in my arsenal. I guess it is my George Costanza guitar! :happy0007:

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Fianoman, that is a beautiful Mahogany. Mahogany sure looks nice with that burst. I use my M-2500 Tribute for gigging all the time. It is the best feeling bass that I have. -- Darwin

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Now that is one of the killer models in the Trib family, she will give you a good time :-)

I just bought an Invader but G&L GAS *will* eventually return and a 'hog Special is high on my wish list.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:03 am

GeorgeB wrote:Now that is one of the killer models in the Trib family, she will give you a good time :-)

I just bought an Invader but G&L GAS *will* eventually return and a 'hog Special is high on my wish list.

We all know there is no cure for GAS George - only temporary relief! :happy0007:

I saw your Invader in the other thread. It is beautiful :luv: and looks like she is ready to party with you tomorrow night on her first gig. Love the hardtail on it too!