G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 am

Hey, I've been kind of on the edge on these ASAT tributes for a while now. I'm wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with the tribute series?

I'm going to a local guitar store tomorrow to look at a US Fender Tele, and if I don't like it, I might pick up a ASAT Tribute that's on sale at musiciansfriend.

Thanks for any imput, Metal

Re: G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:31 am

The ASAT that you are interested in will not sound like a conventional Tele, it is more towards the Les Paul range. When the humbuckers are split, it does twang a bit, but still not a conventional Tele. I owned one for over a year, but fell out of favor with it. Great guitar, and very comfortable to play, but I seem to play my S500's more. I have one set up with humbuckers and the other stock.

Re: G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:35 pm

Has a tele vibe, but def not a tele. I own one, and they're very good guitars. The neck pickup is dark for my tastes, which is probably my biggest complaint. (I've tried all manner of adjustments, BTW)

I'll be chucking some Wilde L-90's in mine. Stock pickups are totally usable, though, especially the bridge, which is quite bright IMO, but also fairly balanced. It can sound tele-esque, especially with the right work from the fingers, but dont expect it to sound like a classic tele. Neck pickup is very warm, does the Les Paul, and Jazzbox thing really effortlessly, but the lack of high end, is a bit limiting, IMO. The coil split helps, but on my particular guitar, is still lacking treble for my tastes. Middle position, with coil split gets quite close the sound of two pickups on a tele in parallel.