Tribute Fallout Troubles

Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:05 am

Hi Folks,

Awhile back people helped me pick out my first guitar (I've been playing bass for 33 years but needed a new challenge). I love the instrument, but I've been having a problem.

The bridge pickup coil tap was intermittent. By that I meant if I hit the pickup switch enough times, the humbucking would come in, but otherwise it could get "stuck" in coil tap mode. But it was intermittent. I took it to a tech who couldn't reproduce the problem because the pickup was having a "good" day".

A couple days I noticed the jack was loose, so I tightened the nut on the outside. Now the pickup appears to be stuck in a sort of dull and lifeless mode. Coil tapped but with no jangle and no life. Output is a lot lower.

Before I take it to a local tech, I'm wondering if there's anything I can look for and try to fix. I'm good enough with a soldering iron to install new speakers in cab, though I've never built my own effects pedals or anything.

Many thanks.

PS -- I can't return it. I bought it online from Musicians' Friend in the US and am now in Canada. Plus, I really like the feel of the instrument, so it seems worth messing with the electronics to get it right.

PPS -- Just got a VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp (I had been using bass amps and Guitar Rig on my computer) and the P90 sounds a-may-zing through it.

Re: Tribute Fallout Troubles

Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 am

it still should be under warranty , I don't think moving to Canada voids anything .... Craig will know what to do

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:14 pm

I'd try and fix it yourself. Take it apart, hook it to an amp and start messing around with the wiring, starting with the nut you tightened. Squirt some contact cleaner into the switch and the pots too. It's most likely an easy fix. Tributes use cheap switches and pots.

My 2¢
Will

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:56 pm

I contacted Paul Gagon and got the Wiring Diagrams for the Tribute and USA versions of the Fallout and added them to the Gallery.
See Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics.

I also agree with Will. :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

First, I want to say thanks to everyone who replied and especially Craig and Paul for posting the wiring diagram of the guitar. That's really helpful to have.

Today I opened up the guitar, and looked inside. Everything appears soldered on and connected right, though I suppose there could be a cold joint somewhere. I sprayed in contact cleaner on both the pots and the jack, plugged the guitar back in and nothing improved. So I sprayed some on the pickup selector switch, hit that a bunch of times, plugged it in and like magic the humbucker came back to its full glory. Time will tell if this problem returns, but I'm glad to have at least given it a temporary fix. If the problem comes back, I will replace the pickup selector switch as a start.

It was also great to get inside my guitar.

I see there is no shielding in the cavity. Would adding some make much of a difference with the hum from the P90 at higher gain levels?

I also see how easy it would be to upgrade the pots and switches, but I'm wondering if that will make any kind of audible difference. Would it?

Finally, I notice the guitar doesn't stay in tune as well as my basses. Is that just a "I'm playing too hard because I'm a newbie" thing or is that the kind of thing that would be helped by upgrading the tuners?

--JES