Just got a new Trib Superhawk... Wish I was really happy...

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:18 pm

I might become happier after this goes through the wash a time or two but at the moment I'm a little annoyed that I bought a brand new guitar and what I got doesn't match the specs.

Being a pretty inexperienced player with kinda fat fingers I've been having some issues with the other couple of guitars I have with smaller nut widths so I felt going all the way to the widest one I could find in my price range made sense. Honestly, this guitar seems well made and the nut it has is wider than what I currently have so I can see myself having fun with it. Time will tell I guess.

Simply though, my source of discontent is that the nut on this guitar that I got isn't 1.75 inches/44.45 mm as published on the G&L site (and also on the site of the retailer I bought it from), it's smaller by what I think is a bunch. I measured it to be 43.12 mm/1.698 in.

For the sake of mentioning it, I measured the first fret at 43.64 mm/1.718 in. Still even smaller than what the nut is supposed to be.

I get that specs change and whatnot (especially with something that comes from Indonesia) and maybe I'm the first schmuck with a pair of calipers that bought one of these but I'm annoyed that when I contacted G&L about it the "Tech Guy" Chris had no idea why it was like that. He's going to do some digging on it and hopefully get back to me.

I hate when stuff like this happens...

Anyone else have one of these that can measure the nut? Maybe I got an oddball...

-Steve

Re: Just got a new Trib Superhawk... Wish I was really happy

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:26 pm

almost sounds like they mixed the nut up with a Ascari and Fiorano as they both have the 1 11/16th ( 43mm nut )... should be 1 3/4 ../. Craig will be along soon and will have a better answer

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:almost sounds like they mixed the nut up with a Ascari and Fiorano as they both have the 1 11/16th ( 43mm nut )... should be 1 3/4 ../. Craig will be along soon and will have a better answer

I'm hoping it's not a production change and a verifiable mistake... However, after looking at the whole neck a little closer I've found 2 other issues that make this particular neck even worse. This one must have been QC'd on New Year's Eve after the company party started...

Nice ding in the neck and side of fretboard...

Filled fret marker...

Also in the first pic you can see how thin/non existent the paint is right around the truss rod hole. Man, this is not at all what I wanted to deal with...

Am I expecting too much for the street price of this guitar?

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:38 pm

hi another noob. interesting observations. did you buy that new, and if so, who was the dealer? perhaps the inconsistencies/blemishes would be worth a discount or partial refund. my trib legacy had a very minor ding on the side of the fretboard at the 1st fret, and a bowed neck, but no other problems. i got it for $95 off usual purchase price, and it was otherwise new. the neck relief was an easy fix and the blemish is easy to ignore :P
if you otherwise really like the guitar, and the 1 mm difference at the nut is livable, go for the discount! no guitar is perfect.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 pm

drjho7 wrote:hi another noob. interesting observations. did you buy that new, and if so, who was the dealer? perhaps the inconsistencies/blemishes would be worth a discount or partial refund. my trib legacy had a very minor ding on the side of the fretboard at the 1st fret, and a bowed neck, but no other problems. i got it for $95 off usual purchase price, and it was otherwise new. the neck relief was an easy fix and the blemish is easy to ignore :P
if you otherwise really like the guitar, and the 1 mm difference at the nut is livable, go for the discount! no guitar is perfect.

Hi John. I did buy it new. The factory carton was sealed and it was obvious it had never been disturbed. The packing materials and tape all looked factory fresh. Plastic still on the pickup's, etc.

It came from Sam Ash and I'm sure they will be more than willing to take it back or come up with some other suitable resolution regarding the condition issues. I think the return policy is 45 days so I think I need to not be too hasty and see how it all unfolds.

I'm mostly anxious to hear back from G&L's Chris Roboson about the nut spec because that's the basic reason (naturally, along with the price point) that I bought "this" model guitar. Once I hear what he has to say I think I'll be able to make a keep, exchange or get a refund/look for something else decision.

This also my first G&L experience and I'm sure it's not representative of the brand as a whole. I want this to work out well and in the end to be happy with the instrument.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Gotcha. Once you verify the nut issue, send it back and have them send you another, after touching base. Sam Ash has a good rep as a dealer. Should be no problem (always good to keep the packing materials for a month, just in case!). the G&L's are high quality instruments, I think you'll find what you're looking for. good luck!

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:35 pm

I would send it back and get a different one , have them inspect it real good before they ship it and get what you really wanted

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:36 pm

drjho7 wrote:Gotcha. Once you verify the nut issue, send it back and have them send you another, after touching base. Sam Ash has a good rep as a dealer. Should be no problem (always good to keep the packing materials for a month, just in case!). the G&L's are high quality instruments, I think you'll find what you're looking for. good luck!

That's my exact thoughts right now. Verify and then act.

The body is finished very nicely, no complaints there so I can tell there is some aspiration for production of a quality instrument instilled somewhere. Mistakes happen and this is one of them.

I have the box and all packaging materials stowed for use later too.

Fumble fingers wrote:I would send it back and get a different one , have them inspect it real good before they ship it and get what you really wanted

Once I get answers about the current production specs I'll do just that.

Thanks for the input and reassurances folks!

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:04 pm

One thing to keep in mind about the nut width is that Sam Ash may have requested it when they ordered a batch of these guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted "middle of the road" specs to appeal to the largest number of buyers. If that was the case, they should have made sure to reflect those specs on their website. I think that would be very good grounds for expecting a refund or exchange.

Ken

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:37 pm

KenC wrote:One thing to keep in mind about the nut width is that Sam Ash may have requested it when they ordered a batch of these guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted "middle of the road" specs to appeal to the largest number of buyers. If that was the case, they should have made sure to reflect those specs on their website. I think that would be very good grounds for expecting a refund or exchange.

Ken

Not likely, because this is a Tribute model and there are no neck options. Also, for the USA Signature models there are no neck options, either.
So a dealer would not likely be able to custom order necks on the Signature models. My information comes directly from Dave McLaren in a past
discussion.

Let's see what Chris Robosan has to say about the neck width on the Tribute Superhawk. I do know that the US neck options have a
tolerance of +/- 0.015". Perhaps the tolerance is not as tight as the US models.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks for the responses folks!

Fifteen thou off would be fine in this case! I'd be ok with that. This however is what, about 10 times that amount?

I'm really surprised this is taking so long to get a confirmation. It's not like Cort doesn't have email, phones or fax machines. ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1406 )

Hopefully Mr. Robosan responds soon or maybe Darth Invader can intervene and get this sorted quicker.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 pm

As of today...

G&L was not able to confirm how these guitars are coming to them from Cort because they don't have any production units to ship out, nor could they confidently confirm what the production spec is or ever was. They did have something there (A pre-production unit or a sample of some kind? That wasn't made clear to me.) which had a nut that measured very close to mine though.

From the communication I got today...

...I’ve measured one and it’s about where yours is, though I don’t have much to go on as there are none in stock for shipment...

...it looks like we won’t have anything to replace yours with, at least anytime soon. The spec may have drifted at the factory, but it’ll take some time to suss that out (the word “misunderstanding” will surely come up). It may end up that Jerry’s fine with the nut width as you as I measured, and just green light the published spec. The 1 ¾” was a bit more out of his familiarity with his old Rampages that were modded with the Floyd nut, but several of his other guitars were about 1 11/16” and he’s fine with that as well. He was more concerned about the neck being fairly slim, still reminiscent of a classic C-shape without getting into the D-shape zone.

...but if I were you, I’d return it and take the refund.

Pretty sure the guitar is going back and I'll ask the retailer for a refund.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Another Noob wrote:As of today...

G&L was not able to confirm how these guitars are coming to them from Cort because they don't have any production units to ship out, nor could they confidently confirm what the production spec is or ever was. They did have something there (A pre-production unit or a sample of some kind? That wasn't made clear to me.) which had a nut that measured very close to mine though.

From the communication I got today...

...I’ve measured one and it’s about where yours is, though I don’t have much to go on as there are none in stock for shipment...

...it looks like we won’t have anything to replace yours with, at least anytime soon. The spec may have drifted at the factory, but it’ll take some time to suss that out (the word “misunderstanding” will surely come up). It may end up that Jerry’s fine with the nut width as you as I measured, and just green light the published spec. The 1 ¾” was a bit more out of his familiarity with his old Rampages that were modded with the Floyd nut, but several of his other guitars were about 1 11/16” and he’s fine with that as well. He was more concerned about the neck being fairly slim, still reminiscent of a classic C-shape without getting into the D-shape zone.

...but if I were you, I’d return it and take the refund.

Pretty sure the guitar is going back and I'll ask the retailer for a refund.

You might contact Sam Ash and ask them if they have other Tribute Superhawks in stock. If so, ask them if they can measure the nut widths on them.
If they have one that is at the 1 3/4" spec, then perhaps you could do an exchange. It's worth a try.

In case you were not aware there is/was a recent labor dispute with the dock workers at the west coast shipping docks. It has taken a toll on both imports
and exports. I would not be surprised if that is affecting the inventory of Tribute models at G&L.

Just a thought.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Craig wrote:
You might contact Sam Ash and ask them if they have other Tribute Superhawks in stock. If so, ask them if they can measure the nut widths on them.
If they have one that is at the 1 3/4" spec, then perhaps you could do an exchange. It's worth a try.

In case you were not aware there is/was a recent labor dispute with the dock workers at the west coast shipping docks. It has taken a toll on both imports
and exports. I would not be surprised if that is affecting the inventory of Tribute models at G&L.

Just a thought.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I agree with you, the port strike is likely a contributing factor to the depleted inventory. As well the G&L communication mentioned that too I just chose to leave it out for no particular reason.

Like you and some other posters mentioned having a retailer measure/inspect first would be ideal. According to their website, Sam Ash has none of these in stock so right now it would be refund only from them. I did see MF shows them as in stock, I guess they might actually be willing to measure it first. GC has them too but I doubt I'll get any satisfaction asking them to do it.

I want what I want so I guess I'll have to call around and bust some stones.

This sucks...

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:04 am

If it helps, I see that MusicStoreLive has these in stock:

http://musicstorelive.com/hawksearch/re ... +superhawk

I know that one of the other members had kind of a lousy experience with these guys, but I bought my bass at the same time he did and I couldn't have asked for better treatement. I'd imagine that if you sent them an email and let them know you got kind of a jacked-up guitar from Sam Ash and that they aren't able to replace it, they'd be more than happy to swoop in eat Sam Ash's lunch.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:24 am

just call them up and ask to measure the nut width

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:59 am

Given all the issues with the neck on this one, I would simply return it for a refund and shop elsewhere. I am certain that if Darth saw this issues this one, that he'd rip his overseas supplier a new one!

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 pm

The filled fret marker is the issue I find most unbelievable.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm

suave eddie wrote:The filled fret marker is the issue I find most unbelievable.

same here , that's a forehead slapper :crazy:

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:just call them up and ask to measure the nut width

USA made G&Ls no longer come in 1 3/4" nut width except for Jerry signatures. Overseas Tributes are a mystery.
Good luck finding one.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 pm

meowmix wrote:

USA made G&Ls no longer come in 1 3/4" nut width except for Jerry signatures. Overseas Tributes are a mystery.
Good luck finding one.

not true for USA ... they forgot to add number 4 neck option in the catalog , it's still available , plus the Cantrel number 4 is different/thinner than a standard number 4 .... I would still send the guitar back

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:
meowmix wrote:

Good luck finding one.

not true for USA ... they forgot to add number 4 neck option in the catalog , it's still available , plus the Cantrel number 4 is different/thinner than a standard number 4 .... I would still send the guitar back

See: viewtopic.php?p=83329#p83329 and viewtopic.php?p=81515#p81515

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Well, today I learned Musicians Friend won't open a sealed box to take a measurement (policy over service there...) and Brian at Music Store Live doesn't return emails after he tells someone to send him one to "remind" him to provide some customer service (just no service there...). EDIT- Brian got back to me the next day. My bad for shoving him under the bus too quickly... See a later post from me for his reply and offer to continue to assist.

I'm quite confident at this point NO retailer will measure this friggin' neck. I can only believe it's just not worth the time and effort for someone else to do it.

The reality here is, I get the feeling for many folks it ain't worth getting it right or doing it right for something at a measly $500.00 price point...

Hell, G&L doesn't even know what the spec is supposed to be, what it has been in the past or even what it will be when they get the next slow boat shipping batch.

Do they even set these Tribute guitars up in the US like it's said in reviews on the net? If they did, surely someone would check a few measurements a few times year to avoid the dreaded scenario of a spec drifting away...

I reread the response I got from G&L and it seems they are basically blaming Jerry Cantrell for the spec being written wrong, (when they clearly don't even know what the spec is) because he green lighted it or was familiar with a certain fraction. (I didn't finish college so, maybe I read it wrong. I'm also just generally, well, wrong a lot...) WTH is that?

Guess I better just man up and buy an "American" made guitar if I want it be what it should be...

JagInTheBag wrote:I am certain that if Darth saw this issues this one, that he'd rip his overseas supplier a new one!

You would think, right? However, I'm pretty sure one fool (me) with a pair of calipers doesn't trump a many years long relationship with the factory.

Frankly, I was hoping that if Darth did already see this he'd offer to make it right. It's his company. He could get it done however he wanted, if he wanted to. Instead maybe it's just easier to blow off the Indo customer sale, waste money and time processing and dealing with the return from the retailer, pay the shipping, +++.

You all know or can guess at the drill.

Elwood wrote:
suave eddie wrote:The filled fret marker is the issue I find most unbelievable.

same here , that's a forehead slapper :crazy:

For the sake of discussion, let's just "say" some brutal flaw like that happened before at the factory and nobody complained the last time... Does SOP then become...

I'd say this one proves that yes, yes it does...

Sorry for the vent/rant all...
Last edited by Another Noob on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:41 pm

everything you've said seems spot on,
the whole thing about jerry being "ok" with the spec drift caught me off guard...that seems like a conversation that might have taken place before production, after that specs should be set in stone ...plus or minus a few pussy hairs.

elwood

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:49 am

I just measured my 2013 Tribute Superhawk and it has a 1 11/16 neck/nut width too.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:37 am

I sure hope this dosn't sour your like for G&L guitars. Can't speak for imports but my two USA guitars are almost flawless.
Swap it out, change the neck or what ever it takes. I feel your pain.
J/p
Last edited by GentlemanJim on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks again for the replies folks.

Elwood wrote:everything you've said seems spot on,
the whole thing about jerry being "ok" with the spec drift caught me off guard...that seems like a conversation that might have taken place before production, after that specs should be set in stone ...plus or minus a few pussy hairs.

elwood

I agree. It's like there were no engineering drawings for these.

Stuff like this irks me because you know there are drawing/plans in spades for the US made units. Neck profiles documented, wiring diagrams are available, etc. No reason the same or similar shouldn't be available for these if they are going to publish any spec at all.

So, I say either don't publish anything or actually know what the heck you are selling and shout it from the rooftops!

tdiers wrote:I just measured my 2013 Tribute Superhawk and it has a 1 11/16 neck/nut width too.

Thanks for taking a minute to do that. I really appreciate it! Out of curiosity, do you still have that Rampage in your avatar pic? If it is a Tribute series offering, can you measure that one also?

GentlemanJim wrote:I sure hope this dosn't sour your like for G&L guitars. Can't speak for imports but my two USA guitars are almost flawless.
Swap it out, change the neck or what ever it takes. I fell your pain
J/p

This was the first G&L I've ever picked up. Right now I'm not ultimately pleased with the whole experience (product and dealing with the company) and one doesn't have to "like" a company to notice their products are of certain quality.

I think that if someone from G&L had to answer the question, "Is this guitar one that reflects more on Cort or G&L?" I'm confident they would say Cort in this case. That said, unfortunately I feel like they have hid behind this thus far and simply will because it's easier.

I'll likely give myself another chance to evaluate their product(s) on their own merit though.

Hey, you don't have to like the president to live in America, right?

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for taking a minute to do that. I really appreciate it! Out of curiosity, do you still have that Rampage in your avatar pic? If it is a Tribute series offering, can you measure that one also?

Actually I just sold the Rampage yesterday. However, I did measure it when I first got it and it was 1 3/4.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 am

tdiers wrote:

Actually I just sold the Rampage yesterday. However, I did measure it when I first got it and it was 1 3/4.

Now we are cooking with gas!!! Thanks for the info tdiers!

Hopefully this whole deal is just a "drifting spec" because...

Between this post and the last one I made, Brian from Music Store Live emailed me and apologized for the delay in getting back. Naturally, I called him right away.

He said he just measured three of them and found them all to be 1.75 inches, but he used a tape measure.

I simply asked that he use a caliper and then snap a pic of it and he set the expectation that he would get that me by COB Monday. I can deal with that...

My bad for shoving him under the bus earlier. He seems more than willing to try and assist with this outside the normal box request...

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:02 am

my 1986 Rampage is 1 3/4 with measuring tape and calipers 1.750 ....

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:20 am

Fumble fingers wrote:my 1986 Rampage is 1 3/4 with measuring tape and calipers 1.750 ....

I'd think that makes sense. And, I'm pretty sure you understand how to use both tools accurately... It's American made and for real QC'd.

Ya know how the tang at the end of the tape measure "floats" to compensate for inside and outside measurements? I think those move about 1/32" so in the case of Brian @ MSL I'd prefer to see the caliper on it. Just less margin of error on whatever he comes up with, hopefully leading to less heartburn for me. :happy0007:

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Elwood wrote:everything you've said seems spot on,

elwood

lol, would that be english or metric?

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59 pm

:lol049:

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 pm

FWIW all, it went back today. Found something else to play that has a 1 3/4 nut.

Pretty sure one day I'll own a G&L I'm happy with...