Which pot will fit Tribute ASAT Classic?

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 am

Hey,

I've been searching these forums for a while now, it's a great resource of information. I've seen a couple of threads where people have replaced their pots successfully on the same guitar. But they didn't link to which one they bought.

I've bought a G&L ASAT Tribute recently, it's 2nd hand and the pots seem to be going. I had some contact cleaner, and tried to fix the issue. I fixed another guitar I had which made the potentiometers better, however after I kept applying contact cleaner to my G&L guitar, it just made things appear worse. I removed some smooth static noise when turning the volume dial, but now I can clearly hear a worse problem where it keeps jumping the volume from off/on with loud static.

I've heard that some pots on the Tribute ACAT Classic have been defective. And I have also heard that the CTS pots were a pretty decent replacement for many guitars.

Thing is I've bought some CTS pots and they don't fit my guitar :(

Can anyone link me to any decent replacement potentiometers I can buy for the ACAT Tribute Classic in the UK (http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/ ... /250k-pots, is the site I used last time).
And this is the potentiometer I bought that doesn't fit the cap, and I believe might be too tall:
http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/ ... rtment-box

Please find images/pictures of my guitar below,

Here are the current pots in the guitar:

Thanks for reading,

James
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin corrected Subject spelling

Re: Which pot will fit Tribute ASAT Classic?

Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I just finished experimenting with pots and caps on my USA-made ASAT Classic. Great fun. I believe that the Tribute models use metric sizes for the shafts. That might be what you have pictured. I could be wrong, though.

I purchased a bunch of 250K, short shaft pots from CTS, Emerson, and Bournes. Mine has a screw in the knob that tightens so a smooth shaft is in order. Your picture is of a split shaft, which will still work. The CTS knobs seem to vary a lot with the tension. I like a knob that turns effortlessly, so I preferred the Bournes.

One weird thing is that even with a short shaft pot, the plastic G&L knobs seem to sit high. I suppose you could put a washer or two underneath the plate or have another nut to set it lower, but I found that if I used a metal knob from one of my Fenders, the knob sits perfectly flush with the plate. The heavier knobs seems to turn easier so I just purchased some metal Fender-style knobs.

Good luck!

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:02 am

You have a first year made in Korea ASAT Classic and they did have issues with the pots.
When G&L switched production of the Tribute Series to Indonesia, the pots were changed to
the Mighty Might brand. You can order the current (Mighty Might brand) pots from the G&L On-Line Store.
Make sure to select the USPS shipping option to get the lower shipping cost.

Others members have posted that they used Alpha brand pots with success, as well.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:45 am

Hey,

Thank you for all of your advice. The change of Pots on the model makes sense now. I was confused that the pots on the online store looked different from the one's in my guitar.
I'm from the UK, so shipping was pretty expensive on the online shop, so I've gone with an Alpha brand from a UK site as it was much cheaper (and faster) shipping.

I'll post my results here if it fits and link to the product so others can benefit from it.

Thanks for all your help :)