NGD: ASAT Tribute Carved Top

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm

I was going to build a partscaster with two humbuckers, but I discovered the ASAT Tribute. I read reviews, asked questions and pulled the trigger on one I found on ebay. Right after I bought it, I got an email saying it sold on another site. BUT! They had another, two serial numbers higher, at the same price, so I said, ship it. They did and they included a set of Hennessey Strap Locks to apologize for the mix up. The guitar came a day early.

I tuned it and plugged it in and played it for an hour or so straight out of the box. I could have gone out and done a gig with it as is. Still I took it to my tech to set it up, adjust intonation and take care of some minor fret-sprout. It was ready Sunday, but I couldn't get over to pick it up and he had to go out of town on Monday, so I'm waiting for him to return to pick it up.

Anyway, my total investment has been less then $400 including tech work. I can't wait to start gigging with it.

For those of you who own one, do you have any tips or tricks you can share? Pickup height, favorite settings, what amp you like with it, that kind of thing.

How the heck can they make such a good guitar for such a low price? Kudos G&L.

Re: NGD: ASAT Tribute Carved Top

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:47 pm

And no pics? Blasphemy!!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:29 pm

I have a new computer and can't get the pics off the camera right now. Sorry!

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:49 pm

I got it back from the repairman today. He reworked the nut, cleaned up the frets, set the action and intonation and restrung it. I brought it home and went off into guitarland for an hour or so. Holy Cats! This thing is sweet. I've been playing for a long time and I've owned a bunch of guitars from vintage pieces to MIM Fender's. This is one of the best guitars I own. It fills the gap in my collection. I didn't have a dual humbucker guitar before. I was looking for something to get me into modern Allman Brothers territory and this guitar gets it. It sustains like crazy. I was playing Santana licks and had no problem holding a note. If I had a nit to pick, I think it would be the feel of the fretboard. Even after the fret work, it could be a little smoother. Maybe wider frets? But it's anything but a deal breaker. I can't believe the quality to price ratio.

Good job, G&L! Thank you.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Well, it's been almost a year since I got this guitar and it's become my #1. In my band I'm just playing the G&L and a Taylor 12 string.

Here's a video from a recent gig if you'd like to hear what it sounds like:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: admin put video inline

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it. :banana:

Dan

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:41 am

Kind of a CCR vibe to it. I like your sound!