Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk Pickup Height?

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, having just purchased and brought home my new Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk this past weekend. The guitar is fantastic - a very nice, modern sound with a warm tone, especially with the coils split. It seems like a very versatile instrument. I have added it to the registry.

I had a couple of quick questions, and this seemed like the best place for a couple of questions:

1) What is the standard pickup height for this particular guitar? Would it be the same 1/16" for the 1st string and 3/32" for the sixth string that I saw quoted from Steve Grom elsewhere on this forum? Would it be the same for both the neck and bridge pickups? My bridge pickup seems much lower on the sixth string side, and I think I want to make the adjustments this weekend to bring it back to factory spec.

2) The tone knob doesn't seem to have too much effect for approximately 75% of its turning radius, but in the last 25% or so does make the tone sound significantly bassier (if that is a word). Have others had a similar experience with their tone knobs on the Superhawk or other G&L guitars? I am fine with it the way it is, but just want to see if it is somewhat normal.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Re: Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk Pickup Height?

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:53 am

bharris22 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am new here, having just purchased and brought home my new Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk this past weekend. The guitar is fantastic - a very nice, modern sound with a warm tone, especially with the coils split. It seems like a very versatile instrument. I have added it to the registry.

I had a couple of quick questions, and this seemed like the best place for a couple of questions:

1) What is the standard pickup height for this particular guitar? Would it be the same 1/16" for the 1st string and 3/32" for the sixth string that I saw quoted from Steve Grom elsewhere on this forum? Would it be the same for both the neck and bridge pickups? My bridge pickup seems much lower on the sixth string side, and I think I want to make the adjustments this weekend to bring it back to factory spec.

2) The tone knob doesn't seem to have too much effect for approximately 75% of its turning radius, but in the last 25% or so does make the tone sound significantly bassier (if that is a word). Have others had a similar experience with their tone knobs on the Superhawk or other G&L guitars? I am fine with it the way it is, but just want to see if it is somewhat normal.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Here's the post in our G&L Knowledgebase: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 473#p46473

Regarding the tone knob, it is a 500K Audio Taper push/pull pot. I cannot comment on the actual operation because I have not had an opportunity to try this model.
Did you try out one at the dealer before you purchased? If so, does your's seem to be different? If so, contact the selling dealer and work with them under the warranty.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:52 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting back to me. The post you referenced seems to cover pickup heights for the "set neck models and models with the non-G&L bridges". The Superhawk, however, has a bolt on neck and the G&L bridge. Might you have any other information regarding factory specs for the Superhawk?

I didn't try my guitar at the dealer before I ordered it (they had other G&L's, but no Superhawk). I love the guitar, and don't believe that it would be a significant fix if the tone knob is not working smoothly - I am just curious if other Superhawk owners have experienced something similar (in other words, is the relatively narrow range of tone adjustment specific to this make of guitar, rather than just mine).

Thanks again!

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:46 am

bharris22 wrote:Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting back to me. The post you referenced seems to cover pickup heights for the "set neck models and models with the non-G&L bridges". The Superhawk, however, has a bolt on neck and the G&L bridge. Might you have any other information regarding factory specs for the Superhawk?

I didn't try my guitar at the dealer before I ordered it (they had other G&L's, but no Superhawk). I love the guitar, and don't believe that it would be a significant fix if the tone knob is not working smoothly - I am just curious if other Superhawk owners have experienced something similar (in other words, is the relatively narrow range of tone adjustment specific to this make of guitar, rather than just mine).

Thanks again!

Re-read the first sentence of Steve's quote:

String height and 1st fret nut height are basically the same for all guitar models regardless of the bridge

So, it does apply to the Tribute Superhawk, too. Remember, that this is just a starting point and then make further adjustments to suit your taste.

I know there are a couple of members here who own a Tribute Superhawk. Hopefully, they will see this thread and respond. I still think calling your dealer
about the tone pot function you are experiencing will let them try another one out and provide their suggestions on it.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Great - thanks!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:11 am

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a silly question. Exactly how do you lower or raise the pickups on the Superhawk? Do I simply rotate one of the two screws that are on either side of each humbucker (not the four screws in the corner of the plate surrounding the humbucker)?

Thanks!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:00 am

bharris22 wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a silly question. Exactly how do you lower or raise the pickups on the Superhawk? Do I simply rotate one of the two screws that are on either side of each humbucker (not the four screws in the corner of the plate surrounding the humbucker)?

Thanks!

Yes, those two screws are the ones for adjustment up or down.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks for the quick response!