Tribute ASAT Jr. II Buzz

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:28 am

I just purchased a new Tribute ASAT Jr. II. This is my first imported G&L and the quality of the instrument is remarkable especially given the ridiculous price I paid for it. However, when fretting the first fret, the low E and A strings buzz slightly at the second fret. The action at 12th fret appears to be slightly below 5/64 in. but I would expect slightly raising action to have very little impact at second fret. No buzzes elsewhere. Any ideas?

Re: Tribute ASAT Jr. II Buzz

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:27 am

I suspect a high second fret on that side. Do you know how to check them? If you bought from a dealer new, they should take care of it. -- Darwin

Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have a fret file from StewMac and some gauges, but have not checked the height before and don't know what it should be. The instrument was bought from an internet dealer so that route is out. I have a luthier I use, but thought this might be simple enough to do myself. Fretting at first and last frets, action seems low at 9th fret so perhaps a truss rod adjustment is in order first? Thanks again for your assistance.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:41 pm

I would make sure that the fret hasn't raised a bit from the neck. Look closely and if it has raised a bit you may be able to reseat it with a slight tap with a block of wood and a light hammer. -- Darwin