Deluxe Carved Top P 90

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Just ordered one From Guitar Center anyone know if the Pickups are Alnico G&L says they have switched to Alnico but I can't find any info on the website about this guitar !!

Here is the link from GC

http://www.guitarcenter.com/GL/Tribute-ASAT-Deluxe-Carved-Top-P90-Electric-Guitar.gc

Re: Deluxe Carved Top P 90

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:39 pm

albertmendoza wrote:Just ordered one From Guitar Center anyone know if the Pickups are Alnico G&L says they have switched to Alnico but I can't find any info on the website about this guitar !!

Here is the link from GC

http://www.guitarcenter.com/GL/Tribute-ASAT-Deluxe-Carved-Top-P90-Electric-Guitar.gc

I saw this model on the Guitar Center, MF, Music & Arts websites, a couple of weeks ago and checked with one of my G&L contacts.

Here's what he said:

Musicians Friend, Music & Arts, Woodwind, Music 123 are the same company. We have allowed MF to sell these exclusive models through their additional outlets.
We are using our AP4285 P-90 and AP42105 P-90 in the ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90 model.
I'll check the MF sites for copy issues.

The description and specs listed in the Ads are not quite correct. Here are the actual specs:

ASAT Deluxe ‘Carved Top’ P-90
Finish: Butterscotch Blonde, rosewood fingerboard, gloss black headstock
Body wood: Alder with top binding
Neck wood: Hard Rock Maple with tinted gloss finish
Neck dimensions: 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 12” radius
Neck shape: Modern Slim C
Pickups
· Neck: G&L AP4285CR P-90 single coil with creme cover
· Bridge: G&L AP42105CR P-90 single coil with creme cover
Controls: 3-way toggle pickup selector
Bridge: G&L Saddle-Lock™

BTW, all of G&L P-90 pickups use Alnico magnets. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars and Decoding the various G&L pickup part numbers.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am

Are these pickups different than the ones in the ASAT Junior II?

PICKUPS: G&L AP4285B in neck position, G&L AP42105B in bridge position

Edit: Maybe these are the same and the CR is for Cream and the B is for Black.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am

This description was on the Guitar Center site: The G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P90 Electric Guitar is fired up with twin P90s mounted in a bound, flame maple-topped mahogany body.

Then later in the description it says: Body wood: Alder

Wonder which it is?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks for the great info !! Especially the info on the P90 being Alnico I had read on the website that they had switched to the Alnico pickup ... can't wait it is on the brown truck right now out for delivery I'll report in when I get it ...

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 am

rhythmicist wrote:This description was on the Guitar Center site: The G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P90 Electric Guitar is fired up with twin P90s mounted in a bound, flame maple-topped mahogany body.

Then later in the description it says: Body wood: Alder

Wonder which it is?

It's Alder. When I inquired about this new model, I did mention to my G&L contact that there was some inconsistencies in the MF ads.
He said he would check in this.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:32 am

albertmendoza wrote:Thanks for the great info !! Especially the info on the P90 being Alnico I had read on the website that they had switched to the Alnico pickup ... can't wait it is on the brown truck right now out for delivery I'll report in when I get it ...

You are welcome. The ASAT Deluxe models (US and Tributes) have always had Alnico pickups. The Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P90 is another model (but exclusive to MF), not a
replacement of the Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top.

Looking forward to seeing your's. :searching:

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Any reviews on this yet? What's the deal with the "tone expansion switch on tone pot" listed in the spec? Typo?

Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:04 pm

keeffan wrote:Any reviews on this yet? What's the deal with the "tone expansion switch on tone pot" listed in the spec? Typo?

albertmendoza has promised to post a report on his, so hopefully he will post it soon.

Regarding the specs, I mentioned earier in this thread:
Craig wrote:
albertmendoza wrote:Just ordered one From Guitar Center anyone know if the Pickups are Alnico G&L says they have switched to Alnico but I can't find any info on the website about this guitar !!

Here is the link from GC

I saw this model on the Guitar Center, MF, Music & Arts websites, a couple of weeks ago and checked with one of my G&L contacts.

Here's what he said:

Musicians Friend, Music & Arts, Woodwind, Music 123 are the same company. We have allowed MF to sell these exclusive models through their additional outlets.
We are using our AP4285 P-90 and AP42105 P-90 in the ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90 model.

The description and specs listed in the Ads are not quite correct. Here are the actual specs:

Pickups

BTW, all of G&L P-90 pickups use Alnico magnets. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars and Decoding the various G&L pickup part numbers.

Hope this helps.

My guess would be that MF used the Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carve Top specs as a template and accidently left the coil-splitter text in the Tribute ASAT Deluxe
Carve Top P-90 specs.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:09 pm

I keep looking at this guitar and think I want one..... :evilgrin: It looks like the G&L boys teamed up quite well with Musicians Friend.

Still would like to hear feedback from an owner and/or some sound clips of the P90's, calling any owners for replies.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Craig wrote:
keeffan wrote:Any reviews on this yet? What's the deal with the "tone expansion switch on tone pot" listed in the spec? Typo?

albertmendoza has promised to post a report on his, so hopefully he will post it soon.

Regarding the specs, I mentioned earier in this thread:
Craig wrote:

Here is the link from GC

Here's what he said:

Pickups

Hope this helps.

My guess would be that MF used the Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carve Top specs as a template and accidently left the coil-splitter text in the Tribute ASAT Deluxe
Carved Top P-90 specs.

Hope this helps.

My guess was incorrect. Here are the corrected full specs:

Finish: Butterscotch Blonde, rosewood fingerboard
Pickups:
Controls: 3-way toggle pickup selector, volume, tone (with push/pull for tone expansion*)
(*) What this switch is doing is placing a .0022uf capacitor across the pickups,
which lowers the resonant frequency of the pickups by approximately 2KHz.
Think of the “Wah Pedal pulled back ½ way” sound. Or the “Woman” tone
if the woman wasn’t tipping the scales at 200 pounds.