Legacy Tribute Flame Maple pickups different?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:03 am

I just got one of the new Legacy Tribute Flame Maples. It's my first G&L, and it's been an interesting experience- there are things I love about the guitar, and other things I'm not so jazzed about. One thing I really like though is the pickups- they sound fantastic (my other S style guitars have a Fender Tex-Mex set and a mutt set including a Duncan Twangbanger and MIM '60s Classic pickups). I know these aren't the standard USA G&L pickups that came with previous Tribute models, but what surprised me is that they measured around 10K- that's pretty overwound compared to the USA version, isn't it?

What's also surprising is that they aren't dull and midrangey like overwound Strat pickups usually are, there's plenty of sparkle and chime. I'm assuming that's a benefit of the PTB system since it uses 500K and 1M tone pots in place of the 250K on Fenders. I haven't done extensive playing through my "gig" rig yet, but this setup seems to be a "best of both worlds" scenario- the high end sparkle of low wind pickups, with higher output to push an amp into dirty goodness when required.

So I'm curious- is this typical of Legacy pickups, or are the new Indonesian ones hotter than the USA version?

Re: Legacy Tribute Flame Maple pickups different?

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am

Beyer160 wrote:I just got one of the new Legacy Tribute Flame Maples. It's my first G&L, and it's been an interesting experience- there are things I love about the guitar, and other things I'm not so jazzed about. One thing I really like though is the pickups- they sound fantastic (my other S style guitars have a Fender Tex-Mex set and a mutt set including a Duncan Twangbanger and MIM '60s Classic pickups). I know these aren't the standard USA G&L pickups that came with previous Tribute models, but what surprised me is that they measured around 10K- that's pretty overwound compared to the USA version, isn't it?

What's also surprising is that they aren't dull and midrangey like overwound Strat pickups usually are, there's plenty of sparkle and chime. I'm assuming that's a benefit of the PTB system since it uses 500K and 1M tone pots in place of the 250K on Fenders. I haven't done extensive playing through my "gig" rig yet, but this setup seems to be a "best of both worlds" scenario- the high end sparkle of low wind pickups, with higher output to push an amp into dirty goodness when required.

So I'm curious- is this typical of Legacy pickups, or are the new Indonesian ones hotter than the USA version?

Stay tuned, I am checking will one of my G&L contacts.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:39 pm

They're probably wound with thinner wire. DCR is not really a good measure of how 'hot' a pickup is.
10K DCR of 44awg, for example would have a similar turn count to a 5.8K strat pickup, wound with 42awg wire.

Still I'd be interested to know, a I've got one coming tomorrow, hopefully

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 pm

JD0x0 wrote:They're probably wound with thinner wire. DCR is not really a good measure of how 'hot' a pickup is.
10K DCR of 44awg, for example would have a similar turn count to a 5.8K strat pickup, wound with 42awg wire.

Still I'd be interested to know, a I've got one coming tomorrow, hopefully

Good luck.

It will be interesting to see what you discover.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:45 pm

I am still waiting for word on this from one of my G&L contacts.

However, I was told that these pickups were to be built in the Indonesia factory to the same spec as the Fullerton built CLF-100 pickups.

I, too am thinking that the wrong gauge wire (either 43ga or 44ga) was used for your pickups. The stock USA pickups are
wound with 42 gauge wire and 8200 turns on the bobbin, with a DC-R of 6.2k ohms - 7.15k ohms. However, you seem to like
the results, so at least that's a good thing.

I have also asked my contact if these exclusive to MF/GC Tribute Legacy "Flametops" will available again in the future.

Continue staying tuned.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:34 pm

I measured 5.74k for the mid
5.91K for the neck and bridge measured at 66-68 degrees F @ the output jack

That's about comparable to the CLFs. Within tolerance. To my ear, they sound like low wind A5 strat pickups. The treble digs a bit much, as do most strats, but the pickups seem to have good harmonic content.

OP: I'd double check your measurement. Who knows, maybe someone snuck some surplus 44awg from the Irish Ale ASAT pickups and wound a few strat pickups with it :shocked028:
TV jones just released some tele pickups wound with 44awg wire

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:17 am

JD0x0 wrote:I measured 5.74k for the mid

That's about comparable to the CLFs. Within tolerance. To my ear, they sound like low wind A5 strat pickups. The treble digs a bit much, as do most strats, but the pickups seem to have good harmonic content.

OP: I'd double check your measurement. Who knows, maybe someone snuck some surplus 44awg from the Irish Ale ASAT pickups and wound a few strat pickups with it :shocked028:

Interesting observations.

Seems that you like the guitar.

I really dig mine. I'm very glad I got this guitar.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Duffy wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:I measured 5.74k for the mid

Interesting observations.

Seems that you like the guitar.

I really dig mine. I'm very glad I got this guitar.

Duffy, can you meter your pickups and post the readings, too? See: Measuring Pickup DC-R.

TIA,

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 am

Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:
Duffy, can you meter your pickups and post the readings, too?
TIA,

Next time I have the guard off I'll put my meter on them. I plan to keep the stock ones in there, pickups. Maybe I will put in USA Legacy ones in if they are a direct replacement wire in type of project and worth it. These stock ones seem great to my ear.

Mine has great tone thru my Marshall DSL 40C combo as well as my Blackstar HT5-RH head into my Avatar vintage style two twelve cab loaded with twin Swamp Thang Eminence twelve inch speakers. This little Blackstar five watt head is a great amp.

The amp is always such a major factor when going for a great guitar tone. I always try to get very decent amps. My latest is a digital modeling Roland GX80 Cube, that is very decent, considering that it doesn't have tubes.

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:37 am

Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:
TIA,

Next time I have the guard off I'll put my meter on them. I plan to keep the stock ones in there, pickups. Maybe I will put in USA Legacy ones in if they are a direct replacement wire in type of project and worth it. These stock ones seem great to my ear.

Mine has great tone thru my Marshall DSL 40C combo as well as my Blackstar HT5-RH head into my Avatar vintage style two twelve cab loaded with twin Swamp Thang Eminence twelve inch speakers. This little Blackstar five watt head is a great amp.

The amp is always such a major factor when going for a great guitar tone. I always try to get very decent amps. My latest is a digital modeling Roland GX80 Cube, that is very decent, considering that it doesn't have tubes.

You don't need to take the guard off, see the post I had referenced above (Click this link: Measuring Pickup DC-R)

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:13 am

Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:
Duffy wrote:
JD0x0 wrote:
TIA,

You don't need to take the guard off, see the post I had referenced above (Click this link: Measuring Pickup DC-R)

All I get is;

No posts exist inside this topic for the selected time frame.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:24 pm

All I get is;

Hmm, I've never seen that message before. What browser are you using?
Please,click the link again, and let me know if it still gives you that message.

In case it still does not work for you, here's the content of the linked post:

Measuring Pickup DC-R
[From a post on the G&LDP No need to remove or dissassemble anything...
by GPD on April 08, 2008 in response to post
Re: This can be a little confusing... posted by MrRoundel on April 08, 2008]

Take any instrument cable and plug it into the output jack of your ASAT Tres...
Grab your closest digital multi-meter and turn it to resistance (ohms). Put the "+" lead on the tip of the
exposed jack end and the "-" lead on the sleeve. Make sure you have both pots wide open. When the
5-way is in the neck position...the ohmmeter will read the DC-R of the neck pickup, and as you move
through the switch settings you'll be able to read each pickups DC-R along with the parallel
connections which will be about 1/2 the resistance of what the individual pickups are.

The pickups will vary from position to position...remember...these bastards were hand wound. I'd say
the DC-R's are in the 3.9K to 4.2K range...which is Skyhawk territory. If all three are in the 4.3K to 4.5K
range...you've got yourself the S-500 spec.

I love the sound of those Northwestern (soft) maple bodied old G&L's. I'm not a Tele body guy but I
really do like the sound of those old maple bodied B-Casters, ASAT's and ASAT III's.

Hope this helps,

Gabe

My GbL User Profile

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:30 pm

If there are any other members, who have this guitar and have a multi-tester meter, please get the DC-R from your guitar's pickups and
post the results here.
Also, Beyer160, if you wouldn't mind, please retest yours, and post it, too.

Thanks.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 pm

I like the neck shim on this one. My other Tributes have had sandpaper as shims, but this one has a cool piece of cardboard shaped to the neck pocket heel that says 'G&L' on it. Cool! You guys should sell packs of 5 of these shims, in the shop. I'd probably grab a few.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 am

Craig wrote:
All I get is;

Please,click the link again, and let me know if it still gives you that message.

Measuring Pickup DC-R
[quote][From a post on the G&LDP No need to remove or dissassemble anything...

Grab your closest digital multi-meter and turn it to resistance (ohms). Put the "+" lead on the tip of the
exposed jack end and the "-" lead on the sleeve. Make sure you have both pots wide open. When the
5-way is in the neck position...the ohmmeter will read the DC-R of the neck pickup, and as you move
through the switch settings you'll be able to read each pickups DC-R along with the parallel
connections which will be about 1/2 the resistance of what the individual pickups are.

The pickups will vary from position to position...remember...these bastards were hand wound. I'd say
the DC-R's are in the 3.9K to 4.2K range...which is Skyhawk territory. If all three are in the 4.3K to 4.5K

I love the sound of those Northwestern (soft) maple bodied old G&L's. I'm not a Tele body guy but I
really do like the sound of those old maple bodied B-Casters, ASAT's and ASAT III's.

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Craig, this seems easy enough: plug guitar cable into guitar jack and then check the tip and shaft of the other end of the cable with my meter set to read ohms. Thanks for introducing me to this method.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Duffy wrote:
Craig wrote:
All I get is;

Measuring Pickup DC-R
[From a post on the G&LDP No need to remove or dissassemble anything...

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Craig, this seems easy enough: plug guitar cable into guitar jack and then check the tip and shaft of the other end of the cable with my meter set to read ohms. Thanks for introducing me to this method.

You are welcome. Looking forward to see the readings you get from your Tribute Legacy Flametop. :searching:

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to share the answer to my question.

In short, I'm an idiot.

I had the guitar on the bench today, and decided to try reading the pickups again-I got 5.85K, 6.07K and 6.1K (neck, middle, bridge). I've been using multimeters as part of my work for 20+ years now, how did I screw that up?

I think I figured it out. On most other guitars I hardly ever adjust the tone knobs, but on the Legacy I do all the time. If you have the bass knob anywhere but full on, it skews your impedance reading wildly (treble control doesn't have this effect, though).

Since my first post I've done some reading about wire gauge and impedance readings in pickups, and discovered that impedance itself is not a reliable indicator of output level anyway.

Sorry for the wild goose chase, carry on!

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Beyer160 wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to share the answer to my question.

In short, I'm an idiot.

I had the guitar on the bench today, and decided to try reading the pickups again-I got 5.85K, 6.07K and 6.1K (neck, middle, bridge). I've been using multimeters as part of my work for 20+ years now, how did I screw that up?

I think I figured it out. On most other guitars I hardly ever adjust the tone knobs, but on the Legacy I do all the time. If you have the bass knob anywhere but full on, it skews your impedance reading wildly (treble control doesn't have this effect, though).

Since my first post I've done some reading about wire gauge and impedance readings in pickups, and discovered that impedance itself is not a reliable indicator of output level anyway.

Sorry for the wild goose chase, carry on!

Thanks for the follow up. That should help confirm that the Indonesian factory built pickups are using the specs provided by G&L.