NGD Tribute Fallout

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:32 am

Ok, I lied a little. This guitar came to me at the start of January. I stumbled across the Fallout by accident over christmas and frantically set about selling things to get my hands on one. In the UK these go for about the price of a high end Squier Classic Vibe but a certain German retailer sells them for about the price of a Vintage Modified (is that vague enough for the forum rules?)

I fell in love with this thing as soon as I discovered it but was blown away when it actually arrived. The fit and finish is immaculate, everything feels tight and solid. I had no idea that these Tribute feature maple cap necks and USA pickups!

Comparing guitars is usually a waste of time but I have owned many MIM Fenders and I would rate this about equivalent to a high end Mexican instrument. Except for the fact that there is no Fender guitar ever made that looks or sounds like this Fallout.

It really feels like this guitar was custom made for me, it just fits. The neck is perfect the design and colour turns me on and it has my all time most favorite pickup combination. I love the Fender designs but they are all so ubiquitous, it's great to have something a little different. Plus I've been a fan of the Fallout series of video games since 1997.

So yeah, this is the first guitar I've owned where I actually considering getting another one so I can lock it away in case it gets discontinued. If I ever 'make it' this would be my signature model although I honestly can't think of anything I would change, the stock version is perfect.

Is there much point going for the USA model? It's very far out of my budget and I can't see too much difference.

Re: NGD Tribute Fallout

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:08 am

hey, looks great! you should post some playing videos too :D

the USA model would allow you to choose different options, like colors and you can get the dual fulcrum trem bridge instead of the saddle lock i believe. plus, i believe all the USA guitars are plek'd too, so there's that.

either way, i love these tributes a lot, and this one is as close to american as you can get with those pickups!

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:26 am

Thing is, if I could choose any custom colour, I would choose Sonic blue with maple neck. And I can't stand trems so I really lucked out with this Tribute. Hence why I'm thinking of buying four or five :)

Recorded a jam the other night but we'd had too much cider by the time we hit record so I'm not too sure about releasing it on the 'net since we all forgot the changes constantly (in a 12 bar lol). The tone was spot on though :)

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Hey Vault Dweller - I am the proud owner of the exact same Sonic Blue Tribute model, which I originally bought about 4 years ago as a backup to my U.S. Fender Tele deluxe because I thought the pickup combination was different and frankly, the darn thing looked cool. Well once I played it I had the same reaction you did and after a few weeks it became my main guitar. I loved it so much that after about a month, I sold the Tele and quickly ordered a custom USA made Fallout. Since I play both the Tribute and the US custom model on a regular basis, I can tell you that if Sonic Blue on the Tribute model is your favorite color and you love its vintage tint gloss neck, the differences between the Tribute and USA would be minimal for you. In fact, for my playing style, the Paul Gagon designed humbucker in the Tribute actually works better for me than the Seymour Duncan JB in the US model. I even bought a Tribute humbucker and replaced the JB in my US model. The biggest difference is that the US Fallout is Plek'd and because of that, I feel that the USA neck and fretboard has a more comfortable feel and plays a bit smoother than the Tribute, although the Tribute is excellent in its own right and definitely feels better than any MIM Fender I've ever played. I also prefer the feel of a satin neck, so my USA model works for me on that level as well. But like I said, if you're happy with the color, the maple neck and the vintage tint gloss - don't feel like you have to spend the cash for a USA model because the Tribute Fallout is hell of an instrument in its own right.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Congrats !! .... I have a USA Fallout from the SS series (hugger orange) and with 12 American G&L's (3 are Leo era) the Fallout is my number 1 , I could not imagine not taking it to a gig

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:50 pm

blueburst wrote:Hey Vault Dweller - I am the proud owner of the exact same Sonic Blue Tribute model, which I originally bought about 4 years ago as a backup to my U.S. Fender Tele deluxe because I thought the pickup combination was different and frankly, the darn thing looked cool. Well once I played it I had the same reaction you did and after a few weeks it became my main guitar. I loved it so much that after about a month, I sold the Tele and quickly ordered a custom USA made Fallout. Since I play both the Tribute and the US custom model on a regular basis, I can tell you that if Sonic Blue on the Tribute model is your favorite color and you love its vintage tint gloss neck, the differences between the Tribute and USA would be minimal for you. In fact, for my playing style, the Paul Gagon designed humbucker in the Tribute actually works better for me than the Seymour Duncan JB in the US model. I even bought a Tribute humbucker and replaced the JB in my US model. The biggest difference is that the US Fallout is Plek'd and because of that, I feel that the USA neck and fretboard has a more comfortable feel and plays a bit smoother than the Tribute, although the Tribute is excellent in its own right and definitely feels better than any MIM Fender I've ever played. I also prefer the feel of a satin neck, so my USA model works for me on that level as well. But like I said, if you're happy with the color, the maple neck and the vintage tint gloss - don't feel like you have to spend the cash for a USA model because the Tribute Fallout is hell of an instrument in its own right.

4 years?!?! Wow, G&L do a good job keeping their guitars a secret! Or maybe it only recently found it's way to the UK? You're right though, there's no need to get the USA model, I've got my eye out for the rumored Surf Green coming this year :)
I love the way the humbucker splits, it's a very useable tone especially in the middle position.
I used to spend ages looking at guitars and deciding which one I was going to get next but since I got this Fallout I don't feel the need anymore. It's finally killed my GAS once and for all :) It's hard to look at Fenders especially because they all seem so lacking compared to what G&L are offering.
When I was a kid the owner of the local guitar shop tried to turn me onto G&L but like most kids, the name on the headstock was the most important thing to me. I'm a total convert now.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:11 pm

i've seen the fallout around and never gave it a second look - what a dumb mistake. i watched videos and stuff and was like, meh, p90, i'm not a huge fan of single coils.....but damn. i wanted a new guitar this year, and i was getting sick of typical mainstream bodies (my last 3 guitars were rampage, superhawk and asat) so i looked into the fallout....and i wish i got it sooner. not only is it a FEATHER compared to how heavy the rampage and superhawk are, but it sounds SO good. it has a resonance to it that sounds awesome. i love this thing, and i love the fact the pickups are american made too apparently. i have two guitars with duncan SH4 JB's (a custom fat strat i made, and a parker p-42 pro) and that pickup, while great, doesn't have as much of a high end bite/punch as the paul gagon designed ones..so i'm glad i went with the tribute over the american to be honest!

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm

In case you didn't know, the US Fallout and Tribute Fallout use the same pickups.

US Fallout Specs:

Pickups: G&L AP4285B P-90, G&L AW4470B Alnico humbucker (Note: G&L website spec page has the bridge pickup incorrectly listed as G&L AW4370B humbucker)
Controls: 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull coil split
Neck profile: Slim C (no neck profile options)
Radius: 12”
Neck wood: hard rock maple with rosewood or maple fingerboard
Frets: medium-jumbo Jescar 57110 18% Nickel Silver
Nut: 100% natural bone
Body wood: Alder on standard and solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier finishes
Finish: Standard finishes included
Bridge:G&L Saddle Lock bridge with brass saddles
Tuners: Non-locking tuners
Pickguard: 3-ply white

(Reference: July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options)

Tribute Fallout Specs:

Finishes
· Gloss Black, 3-ply creme pickguard, tinted gloss neck and rosewood fingerboard
· Fullerton Red, 3-ply creme pickguard, tinted gloss neck and rosewood fingerboard
· Sonic Blue, 3-ply creme pickguard, tinted gloss neck and maple fingerboard
· Mint, 3-ply creme pickguard, tinted gloss neck and rosewood fingerboard [New in 12/2015]

Body wood Mahogany
Neck wood Hard-Rock Maple
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 12” radius
Pickups
· Neck: G&L AP4285B P-90
· Bridge: G&L AW4470B humbucker
Controls 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull coil tap
Bridge G&L Saddle-Lock™

(Reference: July 1, 2015-present Tribute Series Production Models...)

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Only found out about the USA pickups once I received the guitar and read the tags. G&L keep these things so secret, other companies would scream about it!

It's not hyperbole to state that these guitars represent the best value in their price range, I plan to buy one of each colour now :)

Only one thing I would fix is the slight wobble on the tone knob but I'm used to it now.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 pm

The Vault Dweller wrote:Only one thing I would fix is the slight wobble on the tone knob but I'm used to it now.

That's the nature of the Push/Pull Pot. I remember a past member here sang praises of using a Push/Push pot. You might
look into them.

:ugeek:

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:50 am

The Vault Dweller wrote:Only found out about the USA pickups once I received the guitar and read the tags. G&L keep these things so secret, other companies would scream about it!.

pretty much , lol , another member nailed it the other day when he said G&L is really for the musician's that "are in the know" ...... now you are too !! :shh:

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:26 pm

The Vault Dweller wrote:Only found out about the USA pickups once I received the guitar and read the tags. G&L keep these things so secret, other companies would scream about it!

It's not hyperbole to state that these guitars represent the best value in their price range, I plan to buy one of each colour now :)

Only one thing I would fix is the slight wobble on the tone knob but I'm used to it now.

what craig said. mines the same on this one..this one feels more loose than my asat though, bc the asat is slightly recessed into the body. but honestly, it's just a loose adjustment. like it's very easy to turn, which isn't really a bad thing. i don't mind it.

but damn, i love this guitar lol

hey, here's a new vid i made of her! lol sorry to hijack, but, same guitar and same color, why not! you can hear my horribly squeeky crybaby 535q wah! i need to grease that thing bad..
[youtube]iPskLj-lgII[/youtube]