G&L Tribute Series for Jazz Tone

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 am

Hey Folks,

New to the forum here. I was looking for a economical Tele style guitar that could generate a decision jazz tone. The three that I have come up with are listed below. Any thoughts with these models would be appreciated.

ASAT® Classic Bluesboy™ Semi-Hollow

Tribute Series ASAT Deluxe Carved Top

G&L Tribute ASAT DELUXE II

Re: G&L Tribute Series for Jazz Tone

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:47 am

I think all 3 have the same neck humbucker, so I'd go for the semi-hollow to best emulate an archtop hollowbody sound, with the carved top as the runner up (or first choice, if other non-jazz applications are going to potentially introduce feedback).

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:07 am

Your recommendation makes sense. Just wish I had the chance to play them before buying.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:57 am

I totally agree; Bluesboy semi. I love mine, and could take it anywhere.
I like the semi-hollow-ness, the pickups and the whole feel of it.
And I like the bridge pickup a lot better than any bridge humbucker. They give me trouble in the bridge position, but a T-type, particularly the G&L one, is much better. Expect to use the tone control for a change!
And the range of choice, if you were ever tempted to experiment with either pickup, is just vast. Both industry-standard designs.
I have one other G&L that ties with the Bluesboy for my first-choice. But for versatile jazz character, it's the Bluesboy. Tim Page really knew what he was doing with that design, and it's great.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:50 pm

I had a chance to try all three this afternoon.
The tribute semi hollow was great and the winner for me for jazz tone. Also, that single coil pickup is not your father's single coil. Much more "fuller" than what you would expect. I liked it a lot. The issue was that the model was the orange, cool, with maple fretboard. I really prefer a rosewood fret board.
Next was the Deluxe II. What a great no frills slab body guitar. A real sleeper IMHO.
Last was the carved top. Even with the 12" radius, that neck profile is a fast slim type neck. Just not my cup of tea.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Wildcat2 wrote:I had a chance to try all three this afternoon.
The tribute semi hollow was great and the winner for me for jazz tone. Also, that single coil pickup is not your father's single coil. Much more "fuller" than what you would expect. I liked it a lot. The issue was that the model was the orange, cool, with maple fretboard. I really prefer a rosewood fret board.
Next was the Deluxe II. What a great no frills slab body guitar. A real sleeper IMHO.
Last was the carved top. Even with the 12" radius, that neck profile is a fast slim type neck. Just not my cup of tea.

The Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow is available in three different configurations (reference: July 1, 2015-present Tribute Series Production Models...):
ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Finishes
· Tobacco Sunburst, 3-ply black pickguard, tinted gloss neck, rosewood fingerboard
· Blonde, tortoise pickguard, tinted gloss neck, rosewood fingerboard
· Clear Orange, 3-ply cream pickguard, tinted gloss neck, maple fingerboard
Body wood Swamp Ash with twin voice chambers and f-hole
Neck wood Hard Rock Maple
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 9” radius
Pickups
· Neck: G&L AS4255C humbucker with nickel cover
· Bridge: G&L Magnetic Field Design single-coil
Controls 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Bridge Traditional boxed steel bridge with six brass saddles

Why not contact the dealer(s) you played the Clear Orange one at and see if they will order either the Tobacco Sunburst or Blonde version?

BTW, where are you located (please do update your user profile location)? Or check other dealers in your area to see if they have either/both in stock.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:54 am

Okay I pulled the trigger on a Tribute semi hollow Bluesboy. I played one locally and then found a "B" stock item on-line. So the question is what case would fit this guitar under $100?

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 am

Anything that fits a Tele will fit an ASAT.

Guitar Ed

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:09 am

When I think of jazz tone, Gibson, Dangelico, Guild or Gretsch come to mind. Of course, there are exceptions like the late jazz guitarist Ted Greene, who played a tele.

If, however, I was looking for a jazz guitar in the G&L Tribute lineup, it would likely be Ascari GT-90. Its mahogany body, P90 neck/bridge pickup configuration and tummy cut on the back of the body make it one of the best budget guitars for jazz. I also like Parker guitars for jazz, which can open up some incredible frontiers if you play fingerstyle.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:11 pm

I think Wildcat will be just fine.
He's done the most sensible thing possible, to date all three of his shortlist, and selected his mate.
For the qualities that he tells us he is seeking, I don't think he will be disappointed at all!
Ted Greene did indeed love Teles.
So does Bill Frisell.
Ted played G&Ls too, was a big fan.
Have to say I'm a little puzzled by the Ascari notion; surely more of a student rock (Steve Marriott?) kind of thing?

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:10 pm

There is a seller on E-Bay who sells SKB cases for very good prices shipped free. They make a number of cases that fit an ASAT guitar. I purchased the SKB-66 for a little over $100. The SKB-6 is even less. I have a number of SKB cases and have never been unhappy. Sometimes I will add a shaped pad to one to more "customize" the fit. Not necessary though.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Anything that fits a Tele will fit an ASAT.

Guitar Ed

I was a bit concern as the tribute semi hollow Bluesboy I played was at least 2" rim.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:10 pm

NickHorne wrote:I think Wildcat will be just fine.
He's done the most sensible thing possible, to date all three of his shortlist, and selected his mate.
For the qualities that he tells us he is seeking, I don't think he will be disappointed at all!
Ted Greene did indeed love Teles.
So does Bill Frisell.
Ted played G&Ls too, was a big fan.
Have to say I'm a little puzzled by the Ascari notion; surely more of a student rock (Steve Marriott?) kind of thing?

I have to say the semi hollow Bluesboy got a really great jazz tone, with neck pickup, and that was with the 9's on it. That sold me. I have been playing a higher end jazz type guitar but had to sell for financial reasons and this guitar has really impressed me to the point of being really excited about playing it. That's a good thing!

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:20 pm

NickHorne wrote:Have to say I'm a little puzzled by the Ascari notion; surely more of a student rock (Steve Marriott?) kind of thing?

I'm guessing because the original 175's and L5's had a P90 pickup and because mahogany has a reputation of producing warm tone. Personally, when I have a dinner set of jazz followed by 3 sets of party music, I leave my hollow body at home (unless specifically asked for an acoustic jazz type platform, or for special events). Of course there is a big difference between a hollow body and solid body, but from solid to solid, not so much with a little bit of dialing.

In my experience, unless you are playing for jazz enthusiasts, most people can't tell the timbral differences between a hollow and well dialed in solid guitar. In fact, I once grabbed the wrong guitar and showed up to a solo guitar gig at a posh resort with a fluorescent shredder guitar from the 80's with white Evolution Dimarzios (pretty obnoxious looking). Being 50 miles away from home, I had no choice, so there I am wearing a tux playing Desafinado on a guitar that looks like it came straight out of a Poison video. At least it was strat shaped and not a flying V or destroyer, lol.

I got one snide "wow, that's one colorful guitar!" remark before I got started from a guy who worked there, but while I was packing up, I got the same compliments I typically get and only one person brought up the guitar, and that was because he's an intermediate jazz guitarist and was curious if that was my only guitar or something, lol, but he remarked "with such gorgeous sound, I was expecting to see a jazz box..."

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:41 am

trem wrote:
NickHorne wrote:Have to say I'm a little puzzled by the Ascari notion; surely more of a student rock (Steve Marriott?) kind of thing?

I'm guessing because the original 175's and L5's had a P90 pickup and because mahogany has a reputation of producing warm tone. Personally, when I have a dinner set of jazz followed by 3 sets of party music, I leave my hollow body at home (unless specifically asked for an acoustic jazz type platform, or for special events). Of course there is a big difference between a hollow body and solid body, but from solid to solid, not so much with a little bit of dialing.

In my experience, unless you are playing for jazz enthusiasts, most people can't tell the timbral differences between a hollow and well dialed in solid guitar. In fact, I once grabbed the wrong guitar and showed up to a solo guitar gig at a posh resort with a fluorescent shredder guitar from the 80's with white Evolution Dimarzios (pretty obnoxious looking). Being 50 miles away from home, I had no choice, so there I am wearing a tux playing Desafinado on a guitar that looks like it came straight out of a Poison video. At least it was strat shaped and not a flying V or destroyer, lol.

I got one snide "wow, that's one colorful guitar!" remark before I got started from a guy who worked there, but while I was packing up, I got the same compliments I typically get and only one person brought up the guitar, and that was because he's an intermediate jazz guitarist and was curious if that was my only guitar or something, lol, but he remarked "with such gorgeous sound, I was expecting to see a jazz box..."

Great story and the truth about solid well dial in and hollow. I learn that from one of my instructors who plays a 1973 tele deluxe. He dials it in and it sounds like the real deal.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:53 am

trem wrote:

great story trem!