Installing better humbucker in ASAT tribute

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:07 pm

I just got a used Bluesboy tribute on Craigslist. I don't really like the tone of the humbucker, it sounds "off". Anyways, I was thinking of replacing it with something else.

I know G&L has Seth Lovers installed in some of the USA Bluesboys or their own proprietary pickup (A2S4248N). As far as I know the Tributes don't use the same humbuckers the USA models use.

So I'm looking at a Seth Lover or maybe even a Seymour Duncan Antiquity - people are saying those are great. Is a the A2S4248N better than the Seth Lover?

Re: Installing better humbucker in ASAT tribute

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:59 pm

rpelarius wrote:I just got a used Bluesboy tribute on Craigslist. I don't really like the tone of the humbucker, it sounds "off". Anyways, I was thinking of replacing it with something else.

I know G&L has Seth Lovers installed in some of the USA Bluesboys or their own proprietary pickup (A2S4248N). As far as I know the Tributes don't use the same humbuckers the USA models use.

So I'm looking at a Seth Lover or maybe even a Seymour Duncan Antiquity - people are saying those are great. Is a the A2S4248N better than the Seth Lover?

Since you bought this used you might want to check to see if the original Tribute G&L pickup is there and is wired per factory specs. See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.
Two different versions of the G&L Alnico Humbucker were used on the Tribute Series ASAT Classic "Bluesboy", so check the serial number and then look at the various listings.
(Tribute Series S/N is coded: YYMM...). Also, See the Gallery: Album: ASAT Classic Bluesboy Picture Diagrams for the factory wiring.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:49 am

Great idea. I'll look into it. The humbucker isn't sitting level, maybe it was messed with.

But in general, are the humbuckers in the tributes made by G & L or are they just designed by them and made at a factory in Asia? I know other companies do that.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 am

designed and made by G&L :thumbup:

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:21 pm

Of all the budget priced Tele style guitars I've bought I think that the stock G&L Tribite pups are about as good as they come. Having said that it's all a matter of personal taste. Here's what I did to my Tribute Blues Boy to get it where I wanted it to be.

1. Duncan Seth Lover neck pickup - There's a reason G&L uses these on their more expensive models. It's simply a great pickup but be aware that there may be a compatibility issue with the Tribute MFD bridge pickup and the Seth Lover that requires a ground wire adjustment.

2. Gotoh modern 6 saddle bridge - Nothing wrong with the original bridge I just like the Gotoh.

3. Graphtech Tusq XL nut - Just something I do on all of my guitars.

4. Duncan "Jerry Donahue" bridge pickup - After searching for opinions on this site I decided to go with the Jerry Donahue. Just got it installed yesterday and it's a sweet combination.

5. Elec-Trix solderless control unit - Being more than a little technically challenged and after having payed a tech $75 to install the neck pickup I decided to go this route for the bridge install. This one was a little more tricky. Since the Elec-Trix pot locations are fixed and the G&L control plate is different I had to switch over to a standard spec control plate. Also the standard plate is a little off where it meets the pick guard but close enough for my money. The other problem was that the G&L body rout was just a little shorter and I had to lengthen the cavity a bit to get the standard plate to fit. It worked out OK though since it's all hidden under the control plate. The upside is that the new control unit came with a built in switchable volume kit and seven switchable capacitor choices which did a lot to get me the exact tone I was looking for.

This stuff can be lots of fun and very rewarding and I think the Tributes are well worth putting the extra bucks into. As it stands now I'm fairly sure that I couldn't buy a better guitar for what I've got invested in this one.