Tribute ASAT Deluxe palm mute feedback w/ high gain

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:01 pm

anyone else have anything with pickups like the ASAT Deluxe humbuckers (chrome covers) and it feeds back horribly when you run higher gain and do palm muting? this is the only guitar i've got that does it, and coincidentally the only guitar i've got with the chrome covers instead of open humbuckers. is it because of the covers?

Re: Tribute ASAT Deluxe palm mute feedback w/ high gain

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:17 pm

More likely because the pups are not (properly) wax potted. That is more common cause of feedback if not squealing of pickups, especially at high gain settings. But you can do the experiment by taking the covers off.

- Jos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:59 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:More likely because the pups are not (properly) wax potted. That is more common cause of feedback if not squealing of pickups, especially at high gain settings. But you can do the experiment by taking the covers off.

- Jos

Before attempting to remove the chrome cover, see this post: See: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 345#p40345.

Did you buy your Tribute ASAT Deluxe new from a G&L dealer and is it less than two years old? If so, contact the dealer you bought it from and have them
get it fixed under warranty.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 pm

it's past the two years, got it early 2014 from musicians friend. either way, i mean it doesn't bother me TOO much, but it's sometimes annoying. if anything, maybe one day i'll replace the pickups, but most likely not bc i'm lazy and i actually like their tone even tho they're just tributes. guess i just can't blast that OD pedal in front :P

even my rampage, which has a SUPER hot pickup, doesn't squeal like these when the gain is super high. who knows.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:More likely because the pups are not (properly) wax potted. That is more common cause of feedback if not squealing of pickups, especially at high gain settings. But you can do the experiment by taking the covers off.

- Jos

Before attempting to remove the chrome cover, see this post: See: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 345#p40345.

Did you buy your Tribute ASAT Deluxe new from a G&L dealer and is it less than two years old? If so, contact the dealer you bought it from and have them

just replying to this a while later, but craig, are these pickups in the ASAT Deluxe Tribute Humbucker wax potted? i thought the wax potting is supposed to eliminate squeal noise? sucks because to go along with my JCM2000, i now have a peavey 6505mh and that things a gain master...and of course i can never play my ASAT through it because of how bad it squeals..but i really enjoy the ASAT tone. sucks.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:57 pm

jayochs wrote:
Craig wrote:

- Jos

just replying to this a while later, but craig, are these pickups in the ASAT Deluxe Tribute Humbucker wax potted? i thought the wax potting is supposed to eliminate squeal noise? sucks because to go along with my JCM2000, i now have a peavey 6505mh and that things a gain master...and of course i can never play my ASAT through it because of how bad it squeals..but i really enjoy the ASAT tone. sucks.

Yes, the pickup should have been wax-potted, but over time they may need to be repotted.
There are some other possible sources though, see: How do I fix MFD bridge pickup squealing problem? and My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions?.
[Note: these posts can also apply to non-MFD pickups, as well].

Hope this helps.