Might buy this

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi guys, I have been looking at buying a Tribute for sometime and have found this one,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/g-and-l-legac ... Swt5hYZU-o

The guy says he' had it from new, 2012, but there is no seriel number on the reverse of the head stock, should there be one?

Any help and comments really appreciated, cheer, Malc

Re: Might buy this

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Yes, the serial number should be on the back side of the headstock. The neck is from a Korean made version. Tributes were moved from Korea to Indonesia in 2007 as I recall.

Cheers, Dan

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi Dan, thanks for the info. The guy say's he's had it from new about 5 years ago so that would make it an Indonesia made guitar from 2011? This is also what he has confirmed to me. He said it was a gift to him. So not sure why it would have an Korean neck, as this would make it much older? How can you tell it's Korean?. Maybe it was not new when he got it. Concerned that the seriel number is missing from the neck?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:53 pm

malc58 wrote:Hi Dan, thanks for the info. The guy say's he's had it from new about 5 years ago so that would make it an Indonesia made guitar from 2011? This is also what he has confirmed to me. He said it was a gift to him. So not sure why it would have an Korean neck, as this would make it much older? How can you tell it's Korean?. Maybe it was not new when he got it. Concerned that the seriel number is missing from the neck?

It is likely a 2003 or 2004 Tribute Legacy made in Korea. It is the Plus version with a 3-Tone Sunburst finish on a basswood body.
The headstock decals and the Tribute stamped on the bridge are from the first years of the Tribute Series made in Korea.
If you look at the back of the headstock toward the top in the photo of the back of the guitar, you can see the serial number (it will be 8 digits long).
The build year and month are in the first four digits (YYMM). Ask the seller what the first four digits are.
Does it come with a G&L gigbag?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Craig, thanks for the info, it's a great help. I have asked the seller for the seriel number and I will let you know, Is £200 a good price for this guitar? sadly no G&L gigbag

Malc

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Craig wrote:The headstock decals and the Tribute stamped on the bridge are from the first years of the Tribute Series made in Korea.

These markings are unique to the Korean made Tributes. Headstock decals changed on the Indonesian built units appearing more similar to the USA models. The bridge on Indonesian models do not have the Tribute branding mark.

200 £ seems like a good deal to me assuming all is working order especially since from what I heard prices are higher in the UK. Even once you add the cost of gig bag it seems good to me. I'd love to find an ASAT Special at that price for a project I have in mind.

Cheers, Dan

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 am

Hi Dan, thanks for you input buddy, as soon as I get the sereil number I will post it here. Can you explain what ASAT means? Looking at the picture posted on ebay am I correct in saying that this guitar has already had the pick-ups modified or is thses standard for this guirar?

Cheers Malc

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:22 am

Malc, the bridge pickup was changed on the guitar you are considering, and states so in the eBay add. I can't tell if the middle and neck pickups were changed. If they were not changed they should have the G&L logo in the molded covers. These pickup are USA made at the Fullerton, CA factory.

ASAT is a different model, more similar to a Tele. The Special and Special Deluxe have large soapbar MFD pickups made in the USA. I especially like these large MFD pickups, but that is juat my personal preference.

I still think 200 £ is good deal for the Tribute Legacy your looling at.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 am

Hi Dan, I will keep you posted on any more info I get.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi got it , collecting it tomorrow. I will post the serial number when I get back.
Last edited by malc58 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 am

Ok serial number is 0401xxxx this would make it a 2004 January guitar,. Middle and neck pickups have the G&L logo in the moulded covers. The bridge is a Seymour Duncan hot rail