I am new at this

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello! I found a beautiful little G&L Legacy today used, and i picked it up. I have no clue where to find out info on it besides the guitardaterproject.org which told me the guitar was made in Korea between 1988-1996. Without taking the guitar apart, how can i find out information on it? I am new to the guitar world, new to all of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

Re: I am new at this

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:45 am

Hello. I'm not an expert on the guitardaterproject, but according to their main page, G&L is not one of their supported brands. I would post a picture of your Legacy, with the serial number, and you should be able to get a lot of help here.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:47 am

Hopestarr wrote:guitardaterproject.org which told me the guitar was made in Korea between 1988-1996.

G&L wasn't building guitars in Korea during that time frame. It wasn't till late 90's that they started producing limited numbers in Japan for the Asain market. So, I would put any stock in guitardateproject info...

What is the serial number? That will go a long way in determining the country of origin. If it is a USA build, then searching the registry in a range of +/- 200 of sn should give you an idea of the build date.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:12 am

Hopestarr wrote:Hello! I found a beautiful little G&L Legacy today used, and i picked it up. I have no clue where to find out info on it besides the guitardaterproject.org which told me the guitar was made in Korea between 1988-1996. Without taking the guitar apart, how can i find out information on it? I am new to the guitar world, new to all of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

As others have said, please post photos of this guitar, including the serial number. For posting photos, see: Welcome! Read This First and look for the link to the Tutorial: Posting photos.

Looking forward to seeing your Legacy.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 am

Perfect! I told you i dont know what i am doing haha.

Thank you.

I will try to post a picture today. My guitar is getting set up at the moment and some frets fixed up for me. I only have part of the serial number until it gets back. The links are helpful! will post again soon.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 pm

The guitar is finally home

This is the serial number... I think? there is no metal plate like some of the pictures on the site with a provided serial number. This number though, doesn't really follow suit to the numbers provided on the registry.
Last edited by Hopestarr on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 pm

This is a picture of the actual guitar.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:35 pm

I hate flash photos... but this about sums up the guitar.

Any help is appreciated! i am going back over the links provided now.

Thanks heaps

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:34 am

Hopestarr wrote:Image

The guitar is finally home

This is the serial number... I think? there is no metal plate like some of the pictures on the site with a provided serial number. This number though, doesn't really follow suit to the numbers provided on the registry.

It's a Tribute (i.e. import) model. Your photos are too small to read the serial number and it gets too blurry to read when you zoom in, but it looks like it starts with a "0603", which according to the info Craig posted makes it a 2003 Tribute.

Only the USA models had the little metal plates for the serial numbers; G&L did that from 2011 until August/September of 2016 when they returned to the decals.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:46 am

Hey. Thanks
The serial number is 06090099. I'm guessing that makes it an '09 then? Thanks for the help

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:23 am

It would be a September 2006 built guitar. See link below. First two digits are year, third and fourth digits the month. The remainder are a sequential number.

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18

BTW, I always liked the natural finish models in the Tribute series. You have a very nice looking guitar! Enjoy!

Dan

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Hopestarr wrote:Hey. Thanks
The serial number is 06090099. I'm guessing that makes it an '09 then? Thanks for the help

Sorry about that - I didn't have both pages open at the same time and reversed the year and month.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:26 pm

WitSok wrote:
BTW, I always liked the natural finish models in the Tribute series. You have a very nice looking guitar! Enjoy!

Dan

Thanks! i wanted a natural colouring on my G and L. I literally found this within a day of making that decision. I am super stoked.. it plays amazingly.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:28 pm

John C wrote:
Sorry about that - I didn't have both pages open at the same time and reversed the year and month.

I appreciate the help :) Thanks heaps

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Hopestarr wrote:Hey. Thanks

No, your Tribute Legacy HB was built in September 2006 in Korea.
Some reference posts: What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Craig wrote:Hope this helps.

Any info helps. :) Now i know where its from too. Thanks for taking the time.