Black Tusq Nut Replacement - Tribute ASAT Junior II

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:09 pm

It may be that this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I wasn't able to readily locate the information so I thought I'd share.

I asked a Graph Tech representative for the correct drop-in Black Tusq nut for the Tribute ASAT Junior II, response is as follows:

"Thanks for getting in touch!
So the nut you'll want to go with will be the PT-5042-00. It should be a drop in replacement, has the length and radius exactly like you need!
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brand ... 1232b97d4d

Hope that answers your question!
--
Justin A. Stadig
Lefty Ambassador
Customer Service Representative

Graph Tech Guitar Labs"

I ordered one and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. If anyone is interested in the results, I'll report back.

I might be looking at locking tuners and some CTS pots (I know the current holes may need to be widened) as well. If anyone has some tips for that, I'd be grateful. And yes, the stock configuration is okay as-is, but I prefer locking tuners and I actually enjoy the stupidity of swapping things like pots and wiring. I know I'm weird.

Re: Black Tusq Nut Replacement - Tribute ASAT Junior II

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:12 pm

js635 wrote:It may be that this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I wasn't able to readily locate the information so I thought I'd share.

I asked a Graph Tech representative for the correct drop-in Black Tusq nut for the Tribute ASAT Junior II, response is as follows:

"Thanks for getting in touch!
So the nut you'll want to go with will be the PT-5042-00. It should be a drop in replacement, has the length and radius exactly like you need!
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brand ... 1232b97d4d

Hope that answers your question!
--
Justin A. Stadig
Lefty Ambassador
Customer Service Representative

Graph Tech Guitar Labs"

I ordered one and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. If anyone is interested in the results, I'll report back.

I might be looking at locking tuners and some CTS pots (I know the current holes may need to be widened) as well. If anyone has some tips for that, I'd be grateful. And yes, the stock configuration is okay as-is, but I prefer locking tuners and I actually enjoy the stupidity of swapping things like pots and wiring. I know I'm weird.

Yes, please do post your results with the replacement nut.

Regarding locking tuners for Tribute Series guitars, there are no drop-in replacements which members here have found, see these posts:
Locking tuners for tributes
Bluesboy Tribute Locking Tuners

Nah, you are not weird at all. Many members here have done wiring mods, pot upgrades and such. So, let us know what upgrades you do and how it went.
You might post your experiences (with photos) in The Project Page sub-forum.

Don't forget to add your G&L Tribute (and any other G&L's you might have) to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

The holes will need to be widened, but not very much. I just use a 1/8 or 3/16 tapered round file and carefully remove a small amount of wood all around the hole. The hole might not be perfectly round when you're done, but it wont matter. I would replace the switch and jack at the same time if you are doing the work, and replace the tone capacitor with a Emerson paper in oil, or Orange Drop. You will need new knobs for the CTS pots and a new jack plate as well. Since you would be taking all the electronics out, I would also shield the cavity, cover, and pickup cavities with stick on copper foil. Ground the foil during install, which could be accomplished simply by the pot body contacting the foil. You can get the stuff you need from Guitar Parts Resource, Guitar Electronics, or Stewmac. I have done this on all of my Chinese and Korean made Epiphone and Gretsch Electromatic guitars. So far, I have left my Tribute ASAT Jr. II alone, as it seems really good stock. But I will probably be shielding the cavities, so I will likely replace the electronics while I'm in there.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks all for the replies, most helpful.

Honestly, the stock configuration has been a mostly pleasant surprise thus far. I've always had a thing for P90's and Tele's, but never had a mix of the two. For the price I paid, I didn't expect this axe to be without its share of issues, but so far, it's really just the lack of tuning stability. Some of that may be on the strings, though I think they come stock with DR's which are fine in my book.

Overall, a bit of a sleeper pick in terms of a P90-loaded axe. I'll post some photos of the nut swap and any other potential changes I made along the way. In the meantime, gratuitous gear photos are (hopefully) showing up below.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:05 am

: offtopic:

Damn those reverends are really appealing... :evilgrin:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:27 am

The stock strings would have been D'Addario 10-46. Mine came with a buzz on the low E second fret. G&L offered to take care of it under warranty, but I just brought it to my luthier and had the nut changed to bone. Even after that work was done it was still a great value. I've never had any tuning issues.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:21 pm

meursault wrote:: offtopic:

The Buckshot is far and away the best feeling and playing guitar I have ever owned, and I've been through a fair share. Reverend does some funky things with wiring and pickup selections, so as much as I love how it feels, it's not the end-all/be-all instrument. I wish I could combine the tones I'm getting from the ASAT Junior with the feel/setup/playability of the Reverend, but then again, it's kind of fun having multiple guitars. I've looked at the Reverend Charger 290 which has two P90's and the same body shape as the Buckshot, but it's nearly twice what I paid for the ASAT and I don't like the current color combinations.

I'd highly recommend checking out Reverend if you get a chance, though. Great customer service and excellent axes that compare favorably with anything I've played.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 am

js635 wrote:
meursault wrote:: offtopic:

The Buckshot is far and away the best feeling and playing guitar I have ever owned, and I've been through a fair share. Reverend does some funky things with wiring and pickup selections, so as much as I love how it feels, it's not the end-all/be-all instrument. I wish I could combine the tones I'm getting from the ASAT Junior with the feel/setup/playability of the Reverend, but then again, it's kind of fun having multiple guitars. I've looked at the Reverend Charger 290 which has two P90's and the same body shape as the Buckshot, but it's nearly twice what I paid for the ASAT and I don't like the current color combinations.

I'd highly recommend checking out Reverend if you get a chance, though. Great customer service and excellent axes that compare favorably with anything I've played.

Well... since my G&L's are the best feeling/playing guitars i owned, I definitely have to try out those rev's... :mrgreen: