Tribute ASAT Special..............

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:55 am

It arrived last Saturday and thanks to some help from Craig and drjho7 getting me the info on the proper size allen wrenches I was able to complete a setup on Monday. I've been wanting an ASAT ever since I saw my first one which was probably more than 20 years ago and all I can say is I'm ashamed that I waited so long.

I've been playing Telecasters most of my life and always found a reason to add more of them in lieu of an ASAT. I'm now happy to say that era has come to an end. Some might say it's a great guitar for the money but IMHO it's just an incredible guitar period from it's fit and finish to it's tone and playability.

I know several Teles that will be collecting just a bit more dust from now on while I work the ASAT into the rotation.

Re: Tribute ASAT Special..............

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Soulman congrats!! :happy0065:

Nice looker ya got there and I know she will sing. Leo knew what he was doing when he came up with those BIG MFD's, you will get to know all the nuances before you know it.

Enjoy!

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Thank you sam. It was sold as used but I'll be damned if it was used much. It's in mint condition.

I love the MFDs and I know they'll take a little time to get used to and explore but all of my Teles have slightly different pickup configurations so that exploration is half the fun in playing one into shape once I have it. It's interesting to imagine what the Tele might have become in another 10 years had Leo not sold Fender. Would an ASAT type Tele have been the result? No doubt it's a step up in several ways.

Fri May 05, 2017 7:57 am

I'm a fan of the jumbo MFDs. I had a tribute ASAT Special that I ended up selling and got the SC-2 because I liked the idea of a slightly hotter bridge PUP. I always hesitate to say the ASATs are superior to Teles because the pickups aren't necessarily better; they're just different. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyways, going to step off my high horse now. Hope you like your new ASAT!

Sat May 06, 2017 4:38 am

nice guitar! i had one of those previously, was my gateway to mfd pup's. i just couldn't believe how great it sounded, played, looked, etc. a best kept secret. enjoy!
my understanding is the ASAT was developed (1st as the Broadcaster in '85) on the initiative of G&L staff and Dale Hyatt and initially under protest by Leo. he didn't want to "bring back the Tele". but G&L needed a mover guitar that sold well and satisfied demand of the marketplace, and the broadcaster>asat was just that.