Tributes: differences between older vs newer?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I learned some were made in Korea and some in Indonesia. Are there any differences good or bad between teh two mfgs? Are the ones with the big "Tribute" sticker on the headstock the older ones? OUt of the Tribute ASATs, what are the best ones, or are they all good?

Re: Tributes: differences between older vs newer?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:23 pm

bigben wrote:I learned some were made in Korea and some in Indonesia. Are there any differences good or bad between teh two mfgs?

It's actually the same manufacturer but different factories.

Are the ones with the big "Tribute" sticker on the headstock the older ones?

Yes. Clear differentiation was the key with the Korean Tributes.

OUt of the Tribute ASATs, what are the best ones, or are they all good?

I can't speak for the guitars, but the later Indonesian-made Tribute basses are notably better instruments. Not that the the Korean units were bad, but the Indos are better.

Ken...

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:27 pm

I can't speak for the guitars, but the later Indonesian-made Tribute basses are notably better instruments. Not that the the Korean units were bad, but the Indos are better.

In what ways, specifically? I'd guess what goes for the basses goes too for the guitars.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 pm

bigben wrote:In what ways, specifically? I'd guess what goes for the basses goes too for the guitars.

Fit & finish is a bit better. Electronics (other than the pickups, which are the same as the US instruments) are better, particularly the pots. Nicer feel. Setup seems to be more consistent and of pretty high quality.

Understand that other than the pots and the visual aspects, there aren't any GREAT differences. They are generally incremental.

Ken...

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:52 am

bigben wrote:I learned some were made in Korea and some in Indonesia. Are there any differences good or bad between teh two mfgs? Are the ones with the big "Tribute" sticker on the headstock the older ones? OUt of the Tribute ASATs, what are the best ones, or are they all good?

See the Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes? in the General G&L Questions sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps.