Help with upgrading electronics on Tribute Legacy HSS?

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a while and decided to finally register as I recently picked up a Tribute Legacy HSS model for a really good deal. Given the low purchase price of the instrument, I'd like to put some money into upgrading the electronics. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the subject...so if the community would be willing to share their knowledge...I would greatly appreciate it.

I was thinking of upgrading the potentiometers and input jack. I was also thinking about adding a coil split switch for the humbucker as the Tribute model doesn't have this feature.

Do you guys have any recommendations about parts?

Re: Help with upgrading electronics on Tribute Legacy HSS?

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:33 am

Are you sure there is no coil split for the humbucker? I had a Tribute Legacy HB for a while and the coil split was via a push-pull pot. That's also the way the factory website describes it. US models had a small switch. I have replaced the pickups and electronics on a number of my guitars, mostly Chinese made Epiphones, and personally I wouldn't bother doing this with a G&L Tribute. The pots, switches, and jack on my Tribute ASAT are fine and wouldn't benefit much if at all from changing them. The Legacy HB description on G&L site states that the pickups are Fullerton made G&L. If you want to improve the electronic performance of the guitar I would shield the pickguard and cavity with copper tape, and keep the other stuff as is unless there is a problem.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:45 am

He may have purchased one of the G&L Limited Edition Tribute Legacy HSS Painted Headcap from Musician's Friend/Guitar Center.

There is no coil splitter function and the pickups are G&L designed but made at the Indonesia factory.
See: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.
Also, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

G&L Limited Edition Tribute Legacy HSS Painted Headcap
Finish:
· Trans Red, 3-ply black pickguard, black covers and knobs, rosewood fingerboard, clear satin neck with black painted headstock
Body wood: Mahogany
Neck dimensions: 25 1/2” scale, 22 frets, 1 5/8” width at nut, 12” radius
Neck shape: Medium C
Pickups
· Neck and middle: G&L designed Alnico V Single-coil
· Bridge: G&L designed AW4370B humbucker
Controls: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB system)
Bridge: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato

sean, can you confirm where you bought it and post a photo?
Also, please add your guitar to our G&L Registry, too.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm

Craig is correct. It is one of the limited edition HSS models that can be found at Musician's Friend.

I know that the electronics in it are probably "fine"...but since I want to add the coil splitting function to the guitar, I may as well upgrade the rest of the components.