Do all Tributes say "Tribute" on the headstock?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 am

A friend of mine recently picked up a used S-500. I referred him here to research info regarding date of manufacture, how to use the PTB, etc.
He told me the other day that it appears that it may have been made in Japan judging by the serial number. It does not say Tribute anywhere on it. I don't believe it says "made in USA" anywhere either. Before I ask him for the serial number and try to do my own research, did the Japanese Tributes say "Tribute" on them anywhere?

Thanks

Re: Do all Tributes say "Tribute" on the headstock?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:34 am

My G&L Tribute S-500 says "Tribute Series" on the front and "Indonesia" on the back of the headstock.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 am

There's a made-in-Japan S-500 on ebay right now that shows the head - where you can clearly make out the word "Tribute"...

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Tributes have had two head stock notes as far as I know. The bold black Tribute logo was made in Korea and the smaller Tribute Series is currently made in Indonesia. Regular made in Japan are labeled "Premium" and have Made in Japan, but not aware of MIJ Tribute. Japan may look different but would imagine it looks like Indonesian version

Here are Korea and Indonensian stamps with Japan below that

it is possible someone removed the Tribute logo. You could ask if it has Made in Japan on it anywhere, or what the headstock looks like.

Here is a current MIJ G&L on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-G-L-Japan- ... m570.l1313

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:29 pm

sam wrote:Tributes have had two head stock notes as far as I know. The bold black Tribute logo was made in Korea and the smaller Tribute Series is currently made in Indonesia. Regular made in Japan are labeled "Premium" and have Made in Japan, but not aware of MIJ Tribute. Japan may look different but would imagine it looks like Indonesian version

it is possible someone removed the Tribute logo. You could ask if it has Made in Japan on it anywhere, or what the headstock looks like.

I don't believe it has the country of origin showing anywhere on the guitar and I know it does not say Tribute. I've got to check it out again.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:40 pm

suave eddie wrote:
sam wrote:Tributes have had two head stock notes as far as I know. The bold black Tribute logo was made in Korea and the smaller Tribute Series is currently made in Indonesia. Regular made in Japan are labeled "Premium" and have Made in Japan, but not aware of MIJ Tribute. Japan may look different but would imagine it looks like Indonesian version

I don't believe it has the country of origin showing anywhere on the guitar and I know it does not say Tribute. I've got to check it out again.

Do you have a serial number? See: Serial number significance.
That will help determine the origin.

Also, can you post photos of the headstock (front and back)?

And, see this post for more photos of MIJ G&L ASAT Classics: Information on MIJ G&L Tribute ASAT classic
Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Craig wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

Do you have a serial number? See: Serial number significance.
That will help determine the origin.

Also, can you post photos of the headstock (front and back)?

Hope this helps

Yeah, I sent him those links and that was what prompted him to tell me that he thought it may be Japanese. IWe had thought it was a US model. I'll get the serial number next time I see him and try to do some more research.