Tribute Bluesboy - Finish issue

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:09 pm

I just received a 2018 Tribute ASAT Bluesboy semi hollow in the blonde finish. Well, it was supposed to be blonde but it turned out to be quite yellow - much like the S-500 tribute in “white.” Not real happy with it. I’ve had this exact model before and the finish was much light and whiter. I’m curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with the newer production tributes. Not going to keep this one. Would like to order a different one but not going to waste my time if this is the finish they use for all of them.

Re: Tribute Bluesboy - Finish issue

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm

mikemjr12 wrote:I just received a 2018 Tribute ASAT Bluesboy semi hollow in the blonde finish. Well, it was supposed to be blonde but it turned out to be quite yellow - much like the S-500 tribute in “white.” Not real happy with it. I’ve had this exact model before and the finish was much light and whiter. I’m curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with the newer production tributes. Not going to keep this one. Would like to order a different one but not going to waste my time if this is the finish they use for all of them.

Here is the photo on the main G&L website:

How does it compare to yours? Can you post a photo?

This is the only Tribute model with the Blonde finish, so we cannot compare with any other model.
BTW the Tribute S-500 comes in Vintage White (aka Olympic White).
Here's the photo from the main G&L website:

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 pm

For what it's worth a google search will show the 'blonde' finish is the most difficult to define out there; can range from vintage aged yellow to snow white, or almost opaque to transparent and every range in between. It's no surprise there is variation when there are so many versions of 'blonde' and then manufacturers trying to recreate different tones at different stages of aging etc.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 am

I'll try to post a photo later today. I've also got pictures of previous ones I've owned for comparisons sake. I definitely understand there's variability in finishes - to some degree. I don't think there should be a huge difference in paint color - that's one thing that seems like it's easy to control. This is just my opinion, but it seems like they used the Vintage White paint on the Bluesboy and tried to pass it off as Blonde, for whatever reason.

The other thing of note is that the guitar weighs almost 8 pounds. That I understand is highly variable. But definitely the heaviest thinline tele I've played and almost 2 pounds heavier than the other ones I've owned.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 am

Not to resurrect an old thread people may not care about, but I did buy a 2014 Tribute Bluesboy Semi Hollow in the blonde finish, and it is much different than the newer ones (2017 and on). It looks like the stock photo above. Much more white. The new ones have much more yellow in the coating. Just an FYI. And for what it’s worth, the 2014 model looks much nicer in my opinion.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Funny I was just reading on Guitarhq how different clearcoat used by Fender caused some years of ‘blonde’ to stay white over the years while (mostly early ones) went butterscotch.

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:05 am

mikemjr12 wrote:I'll try to post a photo later today. I've also got pictures of previous ones I've owned for comparisons sake. I definitely understand there's variability in finishes - to some degree. I don't think there should be a huge difference in paint color - that's one thing that seems like it's easy to control. This is just my opinion, but it seems like they used the Vintage White paint on the Bluesboy and tried to pass it off as Blonde, for whatever reason.

The other thing of note is that the guitar weighs almost 8 pounds. That I understand is highly variable. But definitely the heaviest thinline tele I've played and almost 2 pounds heavier than the other ones I've owned.

I agree, your guitar is Vintage White, not Blonde. G&L and Fender are very consistent with their paint these days. That is definately Vintage White.

I have never liked Vintage White myself. Unless it is sounds amazing, I would return the guitar.