Is the Tribute ASAT Jr II discontinued?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Over the last couple months it appears that all the Internet retailers who stock G&L guitars have begun to report the Tribute ASAT Jr II model as being "no longer available" - or words to that effect. But it remains listed as an available Tribute Series guitar on the G&L website: http://glguitars.com/product/asat-junior-ii/

Given that the fretboard on the Junior II is Rosewood and the CITES complications arising from that - it wouldn't shock me if the G&L had discontinued the guitar. But G&L has dutifully substituted Brazilian cherry fretboards for rosewood elsewhere in the lineup - so this alone should not force them to do so.

Can anybody tell me whether G&L still intends to produce new Tribute ASAT Jr IIs?

Thanks

Re: Is the Tribute ASAT Jr II discontinued?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Only answer I have is that it is still listed on their website and with Brazilian Cherry fretboard.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 pm

ald1972 wrote:Over the last couple months it appears that all the Internet retailers who stock G&L guitars have begun to report the Tribute ASAT Jr II model as being "no longer available" - or words to that effect. But it remains listed as an available Tribute Series guitar on the G&L website: http://glguitars.com/product/asat-junior-ii/

Given that the fretboard on the Junior II is Rosewood and the CITES complications arising from that - it wouldn't shock me if the G&L had discontinued the guitar. But G&L has dutifully substituted Brazilian cherry fretboards for rosewood elsewhere in the lineup - so this alone should not force them to do so.

Can anybody tell me whether G&L still intends to produce new Tribute ASAT Jr IIs?

Thanks

No, the Tribute ASAT Jr II is not discontinued. In January (28th) a new Price List went out to the G&L Dealers and it was listed with Brazilian Cherry fingerboard.
See, this post in our G&L Specifications and Options sub-forum of the the Knowledgebase forum: January 28, 2018-present Tribute Series Production Models.
It has the same link you posted above to the main G&L website page and you must have missed that it too lists Brazilian Cherry fretboard.

The previous Price List (Tribute Series U.S. Dealer Price List dated August 1, 2017, see: August 1, 2017-Jan 24, 2018 Tribute Series Production Models) did have it listed with a Rosewood fretboard.

Hope this helps.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:04 pm

That's great news that the model hasn't been discontinued.

Yes, the website does indeed spec it as having a Brazilian maple fretboard. Not sure how I missed that. I found an archived page for that model at that same URL on The Wayback Machine at www.archive.org for February 9th - at which time they still described the Jr II as having a Rosewood fingerboard.

Well, hopefully it will be making a re-appearance at USA retailers soon.

Thanks for the information.