Out of Phase (I think) Pearly Gates in ASAT Deluxe Tribute

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Hey guys, so I recently got a Pearly Gates for free from my friend, and I decided I needed to change out that bridge humbucker in my black tribute ASAT Deluxe. The stock humbucker, although it had a cool tone, squealed like all hell whenever my hand was near it and there was a decent amount of gain (and i play a DSL100 and a 6505 so there's always gain!!). So today I put in my Pearly Gates.....and I think it's out of phase lol. The middle position is such a lower volume than neck and bridge, and the pups are definitely mismatched in general because of how boomy the stock G&L neck is compared to the pearly gates. The pearly gates sounds very honky and quacky even on it's own (i'm not sure if that's how the pickup is supposed to be, or if its broken?) but in the mid position, it's VERY honky and quacky. It sounds cool, def, but I loved how the middle position sounded on the stock G&L pups before this. Somehow when I wired it, i eliminated the tone pot from both pickups too. No idea how that happened. Basically, I've never wired up a push/pull pot in my life, so it was a learning experience. There's like 2 wires that were grounds from the pearly gates, and then I had the black wire go directly to the 3 way switch, only because when I had it grounded and there was a wire from the push pull to the 3way, the pickup was OFF whenever teh push pull was pushed in, and it would come on when it was pulled out, which I didn't understand, so I figured i'd bypass the coil tapping all together........well once i wired it up, coil tapping somehow works lol but i left that green wire disconnected, and now i don't have tone, and everything seems out of phase.

Does anyone have any wiring diagram for an ASAT Deluxe with 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone that's a push pull? I just really don't know how to wire it properly. It sounds cool, definitely a different sound out of it, but if a pickup is a little honky on it's own, what does that mean? there's nothing for it to be out of phase with! attached is a pic i took of how it was stock wired, and then my wiring job (which isn't great lol)

https://imgur.com/a/9z11dYO

Re: Out of Phase (I think) Pearly Gates in ASAT Deluxe Tribu

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:39 am

Flipping hot/ground (which should be green/black for Seymour Duncan) should fix the phase issue but sounds like you've got other difficulties.

Off-hand I googled this, which should be similar:

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:52 am

oh so phase is that easy? okay cool i'll try that. Yeah, I really wonder if the tone portion of my pot just fried out of nowhere? Tone isn't working at all, but push/pull works fine. very weird.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:38 am

There is a great article here that goes just deep enough into the differences between polarity and phase, etc. to be helpful even to the complete novice.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:04 pm

nice article, Dan, thx!

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm

jayochs wrote:Hey guys, so I recently got a Pearly Gates for free from my friend, and I decided I needed to change out that bridge humbucker in my black tribute ASAT Deluxe. The stock humbucker, although it had a cool tone, squealed like all hell whenever my hand was near it and there was a decent amount of gain (and i play a DSL100 and a 6505 so there's always gain!!). So today I put in my Pearly Gates.....and I think it's out of phase lol. The middle position is such a lower volume than neck and bridge, and the pups are definitely mismatched in general because of how boomy the stock G&L neck is compared to the pearly gates. The pearly gates sounds very honky and quacky even on it's own (i'm not sure if that's how the pickup is supposed to be, or if its broken?) but in the mid position, it's VERY honky and quacky. It sounds cool, def, but I loved how the middle position sounded on the stock G&L pups before this. Somehow when I wired it, i eliminated the tone pot from both pickups too. No idea how that happened. Basically, I've never wired up a push/pull pot in my life, so it was a learning experience. There's like 2 wires that were grounds from the pearly gates, and then I had the black wire go directly to the 3 way switch, only because when I had it grounded and there was a wire from the push pull to the 3way, the pickup was OFF whenever teh push pull was pushed in, and it would come on when it was pulled out, which I didn't understand, so I figured i'd bypass the coil tapping all together........well once i wired it up, coil tapping somehow works lol but i left that green wire disconnected, and now i don't have tone, and everything seems out of phase.

Does anyone have any wiring diagram for an ASAT Deluxe with 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone that's a push pull? I just really don't know how to wire it properly. It sounds cool, definitely a different sound out of it, but if a pickup is a little honky on it's own, what does that mean? there's nothing for it to be out of phase with! attached is a pic i took of how it was stock wired, and then my wiring job (which isn't great lol)

https://imgur.com/a/9z11dYO

Look in our Gallery for the Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top wiring diagram.

Hope this helps.