Replace Pots in Tribute ASAT Deluxe

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:15 pm

hey guys, so I recently put a pearly gates bridge in my ASAT deluxe, and i'm thinking of pairing it with the neck version bc the stock G&L pickup is so mis-matched. So, I'm thinking of re-doing all of the wiring as well so i want to get a new volume pot and a new tone pot. What pots are good for this guitar that are compatible? Like, for example, i don't know if i need long or short shaft, and i never really made a tone pot so i have no idea how to do the resistors on there?
Also, i'm not looking to coil tap, so i'm just going to do a basic 1 volume, 1 tone, 3way switch setup so it's a nice easy wiring job. thoughts?

Re: Replace Pots in Tribute ASAT Deluxe

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:39 pm

I have found the electronics used in my Tribute ASAT Jr. II to be OK and didn't bother changing it. I have changed the electronics in all of my Korean and Chinese made Epiphone guitars however. If you decide to do itI would use CTS (with brass bushings) or Bourns of the same values you have there already. Those pots are U.S. sized so you will have to use a reamer to open up the holes slightly in your guitar. It is easy to do. You will also have to get appropriate sized knobs for the pots. While you are at it, I would replace the capacitors with orange drop (Sprague) or Emerson paper in oil. Might consider changing the jack and switch as well.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Might as well put a 4-way switch in there, an Oak Grigsby, as long as you are rewiring the pickups.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 pm

anyone have specs as to what exact pots they currently are, and what size i would need to get?