Tribute ASATs with front and rear contours

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:11 am

Every now and then (online) I will find an ASAT Tribute with Stratocaster like contours on the front and back. There is an example of this presently on Reverb.com (A black ASAT HB).

My question for the board is which (Tribute) models got this contour treatment? Is this the kind of thing that shows up incidentally as a "limited edition"? Is there some list somewhere that delineates what models can be found like this etc.

If I ever find an ASAT Classic Tribute with these contours, I'll buy it (especially if it's finished in butterscotch) - but they seem to be far and few between with no rhyme or reason explaining why some rare few have contours, and the rest do not.

I guess what I'm looking for is a list of which Indonesian models or limited editions featured these contours.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Tribute ASATs with front and rear contours

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Every now and then (online) I will find an ASAT Tribute with Stratocaster like contours on the front and back. There is an example of this presently on Reverb.com (A black ASAT HB).

My question for the board is which (Tribute) models got this contour treatment? Is this the kind of thing that shows up incidentally as a "limited edition"? Is there some list somewhere that delineates what models can be found like this etc.

If I ever find an ASAT Classic Tribute with these contours, I'll buy it (especially if it's finished in butterscotch) - but they seem to be far and few between with no rhyme or reason explaining why some rare few have contours, and the rest do not.

I guess what I'm looking for is a list of which Indonesian models or limited editions featured these contours.

Any help is appreciated.

The Tribute ASAT HB (made in 2010-11 and made in China) does not have body contours. Here is the Internet Archive of the G&L website
page for this model: http://web.archive.org/web/20100213011240/http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_HB/index.asp

I looked at the Reverb.com ad and I can see where you thought it had body contour. But that is just the reflection of the lights above the
guitar showing on the body.

I am not aware of any Tribute ASAT models, either production or LE models, which have body contours.

Browse the Specifications and Options forum for past and present Tribute Specifications, including the GC/Musicians Friend Special builds.

Hope this helps.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 am

Craig wrote:The Tribute ASAT HB (made in 2010-11 and made in China) does not have body contours. Here is the Internet Archive of the G&L website
page for this model: http://web.archive.org/web/20100213011240/http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_HB/index.asp

I looked at the Reverb.com ad and I can see where you thought it had body contour. But that is just the reflection of the lights above the
guitar showing on the body.

I am not aware of any Tribute ASAT models, either production or LE models, which have body contours.

Browse the Specifications and Options forum for past and present Tribute Specifications, including the GC/Musicians Friend Special builds.

Hope this helps.

Kinda..?

Looking at the back of this guitar - especially how the reflection distorts right where a contour would be in both of these pictures - it's difficult for me to write it off as two separate chance instances.

The front photos seem to have the front contour, but it could be a trick of lighting - this however, seems less like a trick...

back pic horizontal reflections:

back pic vertical reflections:

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:51 am

Hmm, I missed seeing those photos and it does look to have rear contour for sure.

I will inquire with some of my G&L contacts to see if there were some Tribute ASAT HB models with body contours.

Stay tuned.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Craig wrote:Hmm, I missed seeing those photos and it does look to have rear contour for sure.

I will inquire with some of my G&L contacts to see if there were some Tribute ASAT HB models with body contours.

Stay tuned.

I found this post with some info on the Tribute ASAT HB, see: Mysteries of an ASAT HB.

My contact in Sales (been at G&L for 25 years) thinks that those with contours were from a sample run and they ended being
sold to some dealers. The Tribute ASAT HB was listed on the main G&L website from 2010-12 with the same photo of this
guitar without contours. Also, this Tribute model was not officially listed on the dealer price lists for 2010 - 2012.

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:33 am

Well that explains the mystery. Thank you Craig.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Well that explains the mystery. Thank you Craig.

I also updated the G&L Registry and found three more Tribute ASAT HB guitars with body contours and documented those already
in the Registry with body contours based upon the photos of them on Reverb dot com.
Here is the current list:
Tribute ASAT HB in the G&L Registry.

AFAIK, to date, this is the only Tribute ASAT model which came with body contours.

Hope this helps.