G&L Comanche pickups - Tribute V USA - same pickups

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Just got a Tribute Comanche a while go and have spent hours on the pickups and tone controls.
Thinking about buying a set from G&L and throwing them in my partscaster and get a pickguard made as well.
Are the pickups in the Tribute model the same as the USA model.
I suppose they sell the USA model on their website; but wanted to know if they are the same.

Thank you.

Re: G&L Comanche pickups - Tribute V USA - same pickups

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Tildeslash, welcome.
The Z coil p'ups in the Tribute Comanche are american made, same as the US Comanche.
They do sell them thru the G&L online store. There was also a hotter "Will Ray" z-coil sold for the bridge position, was a good deal, not sure if it is still available...Personally, I love the z-coils, very 'tonally' versatile

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Welcome,
If you haven't seen this thread, check it out...

Comanche for Dummies Redux

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:00 pm

drjho7 wrote:Hi Tildeslash, welcome.
The Z coil p'ups in the Tribute Comanche are american made, same as the US Comanche.
They do sell them thru the G&L online store. There was also a hotter "Will Ray" z-coil sold for the bridge position, was a good deal, not sure if it is still available...Personally, I love the z-coils, very 'tonally' versatile

All MFD pickups in Tribute models are the same pickups as the US models and are built at the Fullerton factory. See, Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups.

The Will Ray z-coil is still available and on sale, see: https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/mfd-will-ray-z-coil-bridge-pickup.
I also recommend it for the bridge pickup, too. :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Thank you. And the Will Ray pickup sounds like a good option.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:38 pm

The Will Ray pickup is awesome. Definitely recommend it!

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Looks like only the black WR Zcoil is available, white sold out. It is the same price as the asat classic mfd pups and the alnico pups

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:05 pm

anyone have an idea about the POLE to POLE measurement of a ZCOIL? I just purchased one and it looks like it is a little more than 50mm and less than 51mm.

I am disconnecting the link between the two coil segments then run the outputs to a dual concentric potentiometer (250k each) then out to a TRS jack. Tip will be the top 3 strings and ring will be bottom 3 strings. Each 3 string will get a separate effects treatment.

The ZCOIL will get mounted on a humbucker base-plate and into a open ring chrome cover. then the open top will get a peice of plastic like the pickguard. All this gets mounted in a test subject, my MM fender tele.

The need to know the POLE spacing will help me drill holes in the pickup cover plastic.

Regards
TC