Tribute Legacy increase in string gauge

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:10 am

Hi all. Recently picked up a 2017 Tribute Legacy, my first electric. REALLY nice guitar. I'm coming from strictly acoustic playing, and the 9's currently on my Legacy feel pretty sloppy and loose. I'm wanting to go to 10's for that reason. I've done a bunch of reading on increasing string gauge and some say the guitar will need some adjustments, while others say there shouldn't be any issues. What do you guys think? Even though I've never setup a guitar, I think I can handle setting up my Legacy if needed after a string change. I've read the G&L adjustment/setup procedure and it looks simple enough. Something I need to and want to learn to do myself anyway. Just trying to anticipate what I might be in for going to 10's. It's currently setup well (to G&L specs according to the previous owner) with an action on the low side. I do get some string buzz on the 4th and 5th strings, so the action might even be a hair too low. Thinking 10's might eliminate the buzz and get the action up a hair as well.

Re: Tribute Legacy increase in string gauge

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:46 am

The guitar originally came with 10's on it. It's unlikely the prior owner modified the setup when the string gauge was changed. I would just put 10's on it and see how it goes.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:20 pm

bigterp wrote:Hi all. Recently picked up a 2017 Tribute Legacy, my first electric. REALLY nice guitar. I'm coming from strictly acoustic playing, and the 9's currently on my Legacy feel pretty sloppy and loose. I'm wanting to go to 10's for that reason. I've done a bunch of reading on increasing string gauge and some say the guitar will need some adjustments, while others say there shouldn't be any issues. What do you guys think? Even though I've never setup a guitar, I think I can handle setting up my Legacy if needed after a string change. I've read the G&L adjustment/setup procedure and it looks simple enough. Something I need to and want to learn to do myself anyway. Just trying to anticipate what I might be in for going to 10's. It's currently setup well (to G&L specs according to the previous owner) with an action on the low side. I do get some string buzz on the 4th and 5th strings, so the action might even be a hair too low. Thinking 10's might eliminate the buzz and get the action up a hair as well.

I prefer 9s but have switched back and fourth on many guitars with minimal need to adjust anything. As noted above, your guitar was probably originally set up for 10s and the nut may fit better with 10s. Tweaking the truss rod is the one thing that I might do if I change strings. Heavier strings will put more tension on the neck and create greater bow. However, as you note, it might make your setup better. Just do it and see. It's not like you're changing to 13s.
David

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:17 pm

the current G&L's are shipped with 10-46 strings.
if your trib legacy was set up for "9's", and you put on 10-46, it'll pull the DFV bridge such that the claw screws will need to be tightened in the vibrato cavity, so the bridge plate will be parallel to the body again. i agree with dhgleaves, let the truss rod sit for a week after the string change, then see what you have and adjust accordingly. it'll sound and play better with 10-46 imo.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:00 am

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated!! I measured things last night and the current relief is .010, maybe even a bit lower than that (measured on the 6th string at the 8th fret while fretting the 1st and 22nd fret). So I'm thinking 10's might just get the action up a hair and a little more to my liking. Everything else seemed to measure up to G&L specs, which was nice to see that nothing currently needs major tweaking. This is still the current factory specs/setup procedure, correct? http://glguitars.com/wp-content/uploads ... manual.pdf

I understand needing to adjust the bridge, and that should be simple enough. I'll also take the advice to let things settle for a week before measuring again and making any adjustments. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

Edit - Looks like the following is the more current specs. http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewt ... =13&t=3371 main difference looks to be the bridge plate space (2/16" vs 3/16"). Wondering if things like pickup height, saddle height/setup, etc. should follow instructions from the manual in my previous link?

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 pm

bigterp wrote:Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated!! I measured things last night and the current relief is .010, maybe even a bit lower than that (measured on the 6th string at the 8th fret while fretting the 1st and 22nd fret). So I'm thinking 10's might just get the action up a hair and a little more to my liking. Everything else seemed to measure up to G&L specs, which was nice to see that nothing currently needs major tweaking. This is still the current factory specs/setup procedure, correct? http://glguitars.com/wp-content/uploads ... manual.pdf

I understand needing to adjust the bridge, and that should be simple enough. I'll also take the advice to let things settle for a week before measuring again and making any adjustments. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

Edit - Looks like the following is the more current specs. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3371 main difference looks to be the bridge plate space (2/16" vs 3/16"). Wondering if things like pickup height, saddle height/setup, etc. should follow instructions from the manual in my previous link?

For pickup height see these posts:
What should the pickup height setting be?
Please post your Legacy pickup height

For overall setup see these posts:
Tribute Legacy issues
Boogie Bill's - Things to do when you get a new guitar
Set-Ups, answering some questions

I did a quick search of some setup posts and I am sure there are more here, so you might peruse the G&L Technical Questions & Tips sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase forum. Here is a good starting point: LINK: G&L Technical Questions & Tips (sorted by Subject).

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:38 am

Thanks Craig!! I came across a few of those posts you listed after I searched this site a little deeper. I'll be sure to check out the others you linked as well. Thanks again for the info.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 am

Just to follow up, I got a set of 10's (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's) on without issue. Got the DFV bridge plate set back up to 2/16" above the body easy enough. Action/relief changed ever slow slightly (like .01" higher) which ended up being perfect for me and got rid of the slight buzz on the 4th and 5th strings i was getting with 9's. Overall the increase to 10's makes the guitar feel so much nicer to play and less "sloppy" as it did with 9's. I also adjusted the pickup height on all the pups to G&L specs. Things were out of spec a decent amount and it made a nice improvement in overall tone. Can't complain with any of this and glad I made the switch. Thanks again for the help, suggestions, tips, etc. MUCH appreciated!!